Some foreigners will need to pay for using eGate

I am American, and pay the $100 fee for Global Entry which is good for 5 years. worth every penny for frequent travelers. The first time they do a background check, and face-to-face interview. I just renewed online. Taiwan puts a sticker on your card right in the same line so their background check must not be very in depth which might be why they can offer the service for free.

If I had to pay for the egate, i might pass on it.

I’m a U.S. citizen and resident and I’ve been signed up for SES in Korea for a couple years, was one of the first foreigners to join. $100 fee preferably in cash. My friends in Korea have told me they didn’t have any fees charged for the SES itself. They do have to pay for the “SES-GE” part, which connects the Korean system with the U.S. system, basically giving them Global Entry membership.

As with Global Entry, if you travel to Korea more than a couple times per year, it’s totally worth the cost. Incheon airport now overcrowded with young tourists from China / Taiwan / Japan. Regular immigration line can be up to 2 hours, even in “The World’s Best Airport 7 Years in a Row.”

Ah I see. If you are not US citizen you do not have to pay. But if you want to benefit from entering expedited to US, then you do.

good or ho hum?

I wonder how the interviews will take place?

Someone should fight it. It’s truly sad we no longer have a “Hartzel” on our side. In the past Hartzel got rid of a lot of unfair legislation and restrictions including driver’s licenses and visas. I’m too far away in the country and don’t have much legal savvy but… someone step up and become our legal eagle!!!
Or get Hartzel back in action.

1 Like

Nothing else to do as draft idiot rules!

If residents (ARC or APRC) don’t have to pay, the that’s fine since it’s allowing non residents to use egate. Now if they start charging residents, then that’s a problem.

1 Like

No worries…just use the regular lines - they are now much faster due to the lack of Taiwan tourism traffic. Thanks DPP!

I can confirm that as a foreigner, ARC holder for 3 years now, I did not need to pay the eGate service.

1 Like

I haven’t paid either

1 Like

I always just use the regular line

The matter has been resolved already. Foreigners with ARC or APRC need not pay to use e-gate border clearance. The fee only applies to Global Entry members and aims to achieve reciprocity with the 100 US$ fee charged to Taiwan passport holders in the US. @mods should close the thread.

3 Likes

If I remember correctly, Taiwan is one of the countries eligible for Global Entry program.
I called AIT to clarify some questions regarding the program.
And I am almost certain this is true.

They charge a fee or that? And they are going to have a huge ‘tax cut’?

Last night, plane landed at 9:40pm, I was out at 10:10pm after collecting the luggage. Thanks e-gate.

Yup! Did not have to pay anything to use egate!