Forget the gym - get a bike!

This past weekend I discovered a whole new Taipei, with green grass, abundant lengthy bike trails, soccer fields with goals waiting to be used, people playing baseball and cricket, jogging and shooting hoops, rollerblading and flying kites, families riding bikes together and picnicking in the grass. If it weren’t for the stench of the river I might’ve forgotten I was in Taipei.

My membership at the gym had run out and I was reluctant to shell out NT$24,000 for a year membership (plus another 2,000 per month for taxi). So I bought a bike instead. It was the smartest thing I’ve done in ages. I paid just NT$3,000 for a perfectly good Giant. I bought a cheap bike in case it gets stolen, but it’s really very nice.

I had been reluctant to buy a bike because Taipei is such a crappy place for riding. I’m not used to dodging taxis and inhaling bus exhaust as I ride, but I’ve discovered taht I can quickly get down to the bike path beside the river and, once there, the path apparently runs for miles in either direction, free of traffic. For anyone considering joining a gym, I suggest you look into the bicycling possibilities in your area first. I only regret that it took me four years to finally get around to doing so. :smiley:

Nice to hear another convert. The city is a pretty difficult place to ride in for sure… but dont forget the hills… the mountians, the glorious Taiwan mountains.

Check out www.formosanfattire.com for mountain trails and also their links pages for other Taiwan bike organisations. A great way to stay fit and meet people.

Welcome to the club… the fist rule of Bike Club… :smiley:

Thanks AWOL. I think the reason I waited so long to buy a bike here is I’m a spoiled cyclist. Where I lived in Northern Cal I’d ride out my door and in 15 minutes could be in the Redwood forest or on a wide-open bike lane along the coast or empty roads into the hills. So the thought of dodging traffic in Taipei didn’t seem pleasant. But down by the river it’s really very nice. And it’s great to be back in the saddle.

As for mountainbiking, my bike is so cheap that I wonder how it will hold up off road. But you’re right, I’ll have to check it out. Maybe I’ll see you out there one day.

DOnt leave it too long to hit the mountains. I am back in Australia for the medium term on business and am missing riding in Taiwan terribly.

Get used to being back in the saddle, upgrade the bike and hit those trails, you will never look back. A beautiful, beautiful way to see Taiwan.

MT, where did you buy the bike. I want one with that kind of price too. Need one strong enough to carry my weight too, so I’m wary about buying at RT Mart or something.

I’ll probably get a bike in the next week or two. My house is really close to the river, so you’re welcome to come over and we can cycle together (near Zhong Zheng Bridge/Youth Park).

Brian

I bought mine from a small bike shop on Minshen E. Rd but I would imagine most bike shops are fine. People suggested RT Mart, but this shop is in my neighborhood which will be good if I need service. To be precise, I paid NT3,100 for a Giant with front shock, fairly decent brakes, plastic fenders and a lock. No rear shock (unnecessary anyway in my opinion), no rack (same), steel hubs, no quick release wheels and not Shimano (but it seems to work fine so far). I like the tires too – big like mountain bike tires so I won’t get a lot of flats, but smooth so they’re good for the road.

I was thinking of the law of diminishing returns as I was out having a great time on my new bike. In the states I briefly owned a US$2,000 bike (until it got stolen from inside my house). While it was definitely a better bike, I’d say this one gives me 98% of the pleasure of that one. That is, I get 98% of the pleasure for US$90, and would have to pay another $1,100 to get the extra 2%. What a joke. Plus, if this cheapo gets stolen I’ll just buy a new one. And the bike cost me about the same as a month at the gym (including taxi fare). What a deal!

So, go for it Bu. Let me know when you get your bike and we’ll go for a ride.

Keep it up guys! I think that’s great. Cycling has some things in common with motorcycle touring but of course also gets you fit and doesn’t pollute the environment.

As it’s getting cooler you may want to consider buying a decent pollution mask; not a Hello Kitty 50NT one but one with decent coverage and charcoal filters. I got mine in a ‘big bike’ shop in Taichung.

Bicycles seem to be really good value in Taiwan. You can buy one that does 90 percent of the things a top-level one does, at a fifth of the price.

I’m a big bike snob so I want get started on the merits of investing a few extra dollars for a bike that will take you farther.

The trouble with mountina biking is that once you are hooked the costs never stop.

For around town riding and along the river a $3k bike is fine but please dont think that because it ‘looks’ like a mountian bike you can take it offroad. (I realise you probably werent thinking this, but…)

Have fun and when the time comes let me know, as I said the mountina trails around Taipei are brilliant fun, but a decent bike is a MUST.

My KHS AS6000 bike is one of those “looks like a mountain bike” bikes and has taken me around many, many offroad trails, singletrack and hiking trails without even so much as a change of cables.
Don’t pay any attention to the snobs – and if your bike gets broken, so what? Its only NT$3,000. Just get a new one.

I agree AWOL that if one rides enough an expensive bike and good equipment make a difference. But an issue for me is that I live on the fourth floor without elevator, didn’t feel like lugging the bike up and down and the stairwell’s already full of bikes. So. . . I have to lock mine outside, but under a roof. I hate to do that. I’ve always treated my bikes with great respect and it pains me to know that my baby will be out there in the heat and typhoons and grime of Taiwan. But I really don’t have much choice. So getting a cheap bike was a solution. I’ll still do my best to maintain the bike, but if someone cuts the lock and steals it I can afford to buy another. And it really feels surprisingly good for such a cheap bike.

My KHS AS6000 bike is one of those “looks like a mountain bike” bikes and has taken me around many, many offroad trails, singletrack and hiking trails without even so much as a change of cables.
Don’t pay any attention to the snobs – and if your bike gets broken, so what? Its only NT$3,000. Just get a new one.[/quote]

You have a been a very lucky man Sandman. I ride offroad at least 4 times a week (3 hours at a time) and then once a month I will do long distance off raod riding (full weekend rides). I could not possibly imagine you would do this on the KHS? If you do then you must be amazing. Please join me on the trails one day… I imagine your skill levels must be incredibly high - hopefully I could learn something from you.

MT - cool - if it suits your needs then that is excellent. All I am saying is that for people who ride a lot of off road the sport is addictive and eventually you will upgrade.

12 hours a week and weekends? That’s not a hobby, that’s an addiction :wink: . I’m pretty sure my KHS wouldn’t stand that, but for day trips on a nice Saturday or Sunday, it works just fine and has done for years.

yes it is an addiction and that is kind of what i was saying… once you are hooked… you start off with a few little putters here and there, then into the mountians and then faster, smoother… then you get fit, confident, swap out the rigid for a full suspension and fly… ahhh.

I rarely do ‘day trips on a nice saturday or sunday’… and ride rain hail or shine. Its as much about fitness, exploration and friendship than anything else.

I got the absolute cheapest bike I could find at RT Mart, 21" front/back shocks, for a little over a grand. The bike shop guy scolded me for buying such a cheap bike and said the tires would fail almost immediately if I put any more air in them. I got a new seat as the old one was uncomfortable, but otherwise it’s been ok so far. I’ve ridden down by the Xindian River, where you can ride from Bitan up to almost Yonghe, where the riverside trail hits construction. I imagine if the barrier weren’t there you could ride all the way up to wanhua. That said, I hate riding in traffic.

If you guys ever plan on doing a bike tour, count me in in spring…=)

Sounds great mesheel.

Speaking of tours, AWOL, I don’t mean to brag but I’ve done a little riding myself. Check out the following tour which I’ve done twice (in particular, check out the elevation gain profile).

ncsrn.com/Calendar/tuc.htm

Lots of great cyclists, including world champion triathlete Mike Pigg, live in the area because it’s so great for riding in the coastal mountains. The first time I did that tour I kicked ass because I was just a young college student and the guys in my local bike shop had me scared to death every time they told me I’d never make it, so I was riding 50 - 60 miles during the week and 80 miles on the weekend up big hills. The second time I was an old fart and I almost died.

But that was many years ago and all the time sitting in an office behind a keyboard has taken its toll. Today a jaunt beside the river sounds fine.

MT

I have heard about that ride before - a gruelling session apparently.

Road riding in Taiwan - be it city or mountain roads is pretty scary, hence my fondness for trails.

I am currently in Oz for work but will be back in Chinese New Year, would be great to meet up with fellow cyclists…

Funnily enough, I feel more relaxed when riding a bicycle in town than when riding a motorcycle or scooter. I think it’s because the speed is generally slower so when people pull out in front of me, I have so much more time to react.

I think Sandman’s and Poagao’s earlier comments are useful. In general with leisure stuff, it seems that you can get a lot of enjoyment from equipment that is reasonably well-made but is neither top-level nor top price.

Don’t forget that the first people to take bikes on mountains had probably never heard of suspension, the first mountaineers just had hob-nailed boots and the first people to do rock climbing wore little more than a stout pair of britches. (Admittedly they were a bunch of nutters who often fell off…!)

Funnily enough, I feel more relaxed when riding a bicycle in town than when riding a motorcycle or scooter. I think it’s because the speed is generally slower so when people pull out in front of me, I have so much more time to react.

I think Sandman’s and Poagao’s earlier comments are useful. In general with leisure stuff, it seems that you can get a lot of enjoyment from equipment that is reasonably well-made but is neither top-level nor top price.

Don’t forget that the first people to take bikes on mountains had probably never heard of suspension, the first mountaineers just had hob-nailed boots and the first people to do rock climbing wore little more than a stout pair of britches. (Admittedly they were a bunch of nutters who often fell off…!)[/quote]

True, the first mtn bikers had pretty old school technology, but if inventions make the sport move forward and make people faster, smoother, better then why not adopt them? Kind of like the typewriter verus the PC argument.

As I said earlier - cheap bikes are great if all you do is putter around the streets etc, but if you want (and I stress want) to get into the sport on a more serious level you need the appropriate equipment, simple.

Besides it is all about enjoyment… I enjoy how I use my expensive bike in the mountains, and also how I use my cheaper bike in the city. There is no comparison so lets not make one.

Oh sure, I’m all for machinery that does its job efficiently and well; one reason I’m not too keen on the anachronistic and overpriced Harleys.

But what I’m trying to say is that people should not feel offput or inferior just because they don’t buy the absolute top level of equipment. Maybe they can try out the limits of the cheaper stuff and then if they really want to push ahead, get more serious and increase their performance, get something more expensive. I had a ball riding round a lot of Taiwan on a motorcycle that was definitely not designed for that purpose (Yamaha SR150; beloved by ojisans islandwide).

This philosophy - getting the most from mid-level gear - is something that could be important for safety - see the post I’m going to make now on the motorcycle touring thread.

Absolutely. Live and let live; enjoy and let enjoy.