Formosa Fitness (closed) :facebook:

[quote=“Kea”]How do you balance out the different weights to make it fair? Perhaps set a standard 95kg for all open men (so those under that must use a weight belt)?
I could do 15 full hang at that weight I think.
BTW, these are pull ups, right, not the easier cheating chin ups?[/quote]

Good morning.

There’s an equation that your scores on the three events gets plugged into that also accounts for your body weight to give a final score. In the event of a tie (that happened to us last year in the lighter division), the lighter body weight wins. So if a powerlifter comes in and does a crazy deadlift at say 300+kg, that one event may seem destined to put him in 1st, but his body weight, pullup number, and number of kettlebell snatches are all also part of it. So it evens out very well. In fact, the relative strength of smaller, more broadly fit guys tends to have an advantage, meaning this isn’t just like an open powerlifting competition.

No, the pullups have to be straight elbows at the bottom and chin above bar at the top. If you watch the whole video above, you’ll see me going into detail about it. The pullups last year were really solid. One guy did 20+ perfect even after the deadlift.

You should come if you get the chance. It would be perfect for you. Work on your deadlift and snatch over the next 3+ months and you’ll be good to go.

Good afternoon. I might. Teggs would be good at this, lean and strong. For me, my weight and height is a relative disadvantage for pull ups compared to people with shorter arms, lighter weight. It’s a lever thing. Someone who’s 70kg and 170cm finds it much easier to do 20 perfect form pull ups then me (185cm, 86-88kg) who can do 14-16 perfect form. Therefore, it would be most fair for me to make a men’s open pull up rule that the lifted weght was 90kg, and shorter arm length has to add more weight. Ha.

Or, make the lifted weight 85kg, and test participants on a total from 5 maximum efforts with 1 minute break between sets (or to save time, 3 max efforts). If you did this I’d be more interested. I’m more interested in fitness over 30 minutes or more.

Conclusion: pull ups tend to favour shorter lighter people, so I’m happy with my decent number.

Good luck on this, sounds fun!

It occurred to me that people might not know how to workout to prepare for something like the Tactical Strength Challenge, so I wrote a beginner program that will help you lose fat and get strong for the event. Take a look at this if it interests you. This is a fairly solid beginner program no matter what your workout goals are:

Tactical Strength Challenge Beginner Program

A
hip ext 3x10
body squats 40
pullups 5x5 (do 25 total)
deadlift 5, 5, 5+
DB OH press 5x8
DB or KB swings 5x10L/R (minimal rest between sets)

B
hip ext 3x10
body squats 40
Barbell squat 4x10
DB rows 3x10L/R
Pushups 3x25
DB or KB snatch 5x10L/R (minimal rest between sets)

Alternate these workouts ABA then BAB for a total of 3x a week.

Hi guys and gals.

We’re running a series of introductory kid’s fitness classes for free on Sunday afternoons. The focus of the 6-9 age group is general fitness. The 10-13 age group is focused on laying an athletic foundation. The 14-18 age group will be doing strength and conditioning.

The younger kids looks like this:

We’re a family-centered fitness center so we’re very pleased to be bringing fitness to kids. If you’d like your child to come try out a session, please give us a call at 2365-5223 and reserve a spot one Sunday afternoon. We’re keeping the class size to six kids to keep the quality high.

Thanks!

Hi, it’s been a couple years since I’ve been in Taiwan but will be there again soon. Do you still offer the daily pass for 300NT? Thanks!

Yes, we do. And we have strongman equipment coming this week so come on down and join us for the day when you’re in Taipei. Have a safe trip!

Good news! We’re bringing more new fitness products to Taiwan. We now have these in stock and ready for pickup or they can be shipped to any location in Taiwan for a small charge.

Power bands in five sizes:

1. NT490
  2. NT690
  3. NT750
  4. NT890
  5. NT1090
    full set for NT3600 — almost 10% off!

Gymnastic rings NT1400 for a pair

Heavy Duty Sandbags — can hold up to 120kg NT1910

Soft Medicine Balls
2kg NT1300
4kg NT1600
6kg NT1900
8kg NT2200
10kg NT2500
Full set for NT8500 over 10% off!

Strongman equipment now at Formosa Fitness!

New toys for the gym. I love doing this stuff personally. A guy came in one day and asked me how I chose equipment for the gym. i told him I’d buy anything that make my people stronger. Now you see the proof. The sled is heavier than our earlier one and will hold a lot more weight. The farmer walk handles will hold nearly anything you put on them. We had a member walking with 180kg yesterday. The log is so cool i doubt I’ll ever be able to do overhead press again without it.

Anyway, come on down and try out this stuff if it interests you.

what is the advantage of using kettleballs? don’t get it

Then come try it out.

We had our second annual Tactical Strength Challenge last week and it was a great success. Lots of guys and gals that are into serious training and getting real results showed what they’ve worked for. Lots of PRs set – one young guy pulled a 30kg PR on deadlift, another guy did 21 perfect pullups in a row, another guy snatched the 32kg kettlebell 107 times this year after snatching the 24kg 124 times last year (huge improvement), and we got an Olympic lifting instructor from down south that deadlifted nearly everything we had in the gym. We had a great time and welcome anyone interested in competing to come join us next year!

Hi, guys and gals.

I don’t like posting my photo everywhere since the business is not about me, but here’s putting a face to the business:

This is me and my boy. He’s trying to look tough to match our new haircuts.

I also want to let folks know we’re ramping up our monthly fitness seminars to the general public to meet customer demand. The response to our seminars has been incredible and we’re honored to provide them. We’re now giving monthly seminars in a variety of topics:
kettlebell training
sandbag training for conditioning and fat loss
rings training level 1 and 2
power band training for speed and power
Strength Camp to teach how to get strong with barbells
Olympic lifting basics that you can do in nearly any gym
Here’s a look at our Olympic lifting seminar:

We will also have upcoming seminars on flexibility, nutrition, etc.
The seminars are available on our Kettlebell Taiwan Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/kettlebelltaiwan/events
They are taught in Chinese and in English so this is your chance to learn how to exercise better no matter where you work out.

So if you’re looking to learn more about exercise, I hope you’ll check us out. Thanks!

I’m interested in your Kettlebell intro/beginner’s seminar. I checked out your facebook page and was wondering if "
基礎壺鈴A研習 (請詳閱報名方式) *本梯次已額滿,請勿再匯款報名" means that the beginners group for AUG 9th is full? Also can I join a seminar without having a Facebook account or being a member of your gym?

[quote=“best_intentions”]I’m interested in your Kettlebell intro/beginner’s seminar. I checked out your facebook page and was wondering if "
基礎壺鈴A研習 (請詳閱報名方式) *本梯次已額滿,請勿再匯款報名" means that the beginners group for AUG 9th is full? Also can I join a seminar without having a Facebook account or being a member of your gym?[/quote]

You’re doing your homework. I like that and thanks for taking the initiative.

These seminars are open to the public. you don’t need a Facebook account or to be a member of the gym but you will definitely need to pay in advance. Our kettlebell seminars fill up long before we actually have them.

The Aug 9th seminar is showing one sport left. If you can stop by Formosa Fitness soon, you could reserve that spot. If not, the seminar on Aug 24th still has spots: facebook.com/events/617583681674222/?ref=5

If you have any questions, please call 2365-5223 and talk to my trainers about signing up. The training is available in Chinese and English so don’t worry if that was a concern. I hope to see at the kettlebell seminar, if you can make it. Thanks!!

Hello Formosa Fitness,
Sorry if this may be a little off topic, but I recently started cycling and was wondering if you could give me any advice on supplements that I could be taking after my long rides. Do you suggest protein powder shakes to help with the recovery?

If it is protein powder you suggest, I know reading from the fitness sub forum that you provide the best protein powder here in Taipei. I would have to come in one day to check it out for myself.

[quote=“ranlee”]Hello Formosa Fitness,
Sorry if this may be a little off topic, but I recently started cycling and was wondering if you could give me any advice on supplements that I could be taking after my long rides. Do you suggest protein powder shakes to help with the recovery?

If it is protein powder you suggest, I know reading from the fitness sub forum that you provide the best protein powder here in Taipei. I would have to come in one day to check it out for myself.[/quote]

Hi! Yes, i would absolutely suggest protein powders to help with recovery. Heavy endurance training tends to break down tissue and isn’t always replaced because of the carb heavy diet of endurance athletes. This can really hamper your recovery, as you seem to know from what you say above. The powders are about the fastest and most convenient protein you can get and they’re cheaper than meat.

Please stop by and check out our Eat Me! whey concentrate. Thanks for saying we provide the best. I happen to think so, too. We import it ourselves from New Zealand and the content of the bag is 98% whey protein – one of the highest ratios you’ll find. The whey is grass-feed, free range, and non-GMO. Because of it’s potency, our customers have seen great results with this whey.

I hope you get a chance to come by and try it out. Thanks!

2:23 of that video shows why I call the dead lift “back snaps.” That guy is gonna need a wheel chair to get around in the future :astonished: Those guys need to pay closer attention to that power lifters technique. Even with the lifting belt their backs are super rounded. Only a matter of time before something goes very very wrong…

[quote=“Formosa Fitness”][quote=“ranlee”]Hello Formosa Fitness,

If it is protein powder you suggest, I know reading from the fitness sub forum that you provide the best protein powder here in Taipei. I would have to come in one day to check it out for myself.[/quote]

Hi! Yes, I would absolutely suggest protein powders to help with recovery. Heavy endurance training tends to break down tissue and isn’t always replaced because of the carb heavy diet of endurance athletes. This can really hamper your recovery, as you seem to know from what you say above. The powders are about the fastest and most convenient protein you can get and they’re cheaper than meat.

Please stop by and check out our Eat Me! whey concentrate. Thanks for saying we provide the best. I happen to think so, too. We import it ourselves from New Zealand and the content of the bag is 98% whey protein – one of the highest ratios you’ll find. The whey is grass-feed, free range, and non-GMO. Because of it’s potency, our customers have seen great results with this whey.

I hope you get a chance to come by and try it out. Thanks![/quote]

Thanks for your reply!

I do have one more question that I forgot to mention during my initial post. Do you know where (if you don not provide it yourself) I would be able to find powerbar-esque bars that do not contain traces of peanut? I bought Clif bars from the states back here only to notice the labeling on the packaging too late. My father is reaping the benefits of my Clif bars instead of me :s :cry:

I went there today to check it out, but there’s one big problem for me - the lack of a water fountain.

The aircon isn’t very strong there which means I’m going through a lot more water than usual, so at 30nt for a bottle, it’s going to quickly add up.

Is there any reason why you’ve chosen to sell bottled water there instead of installing a simple filtered water tap?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

[quote=“monokuro”]I went there today to check it out, but there’s one big problem for me - the lack of a water fountain.

The aircon isn’t very strong there which means I’m going through a lot more water than usual, so at 30nt for a bottle, it’s going to quickly add up.

Is there any reason why you’ve chosen to sell bottled water there instead of installing a simple filtered water tap? [/quote]

I’ve never seen a water fountain in my 15 years in Taiwan. They just aren’t common here and i would fear for the hygiene if they were. We sell small water bottles for NT15 and large ones for NT30 and we make no profit off of it, it’s just a service to our clients. If you want free water, feel free to bring it from home or there’s always the bathroom.

As to the aircon, it’s a gym and we come to work out and sweat. In July and August, it’s nearly impossible to keep the upstairs cool with such large windows. Simply go downstairs to workout and you will feel the temperature drop considerably as it’s always cool due to being underground.