Formosa Fitness (closed) :facebook:

A quick update on the message below. We had a large response to this on Facebook so we’re going through with the workouts. I didn’t see anyone here unfortunately that signed up so maybe no one is interested. But if you are, these workouts will be in English, they will come with demo videos of the moves, we’ll have instructional videos on the moves you might not know (these are in Chinese but I did some of them in English), and finally they are doable with DUMBBELLS if you don’t have kettlebells.

I’m all the time hearing “why don’t we have something like this in Taiwan?” so now we do so there’s no excuse not to do it. BTW, these would make great conditioning workouts after doing a couple of strength lifts at the gym.

Hope anyone looking at taking their fitness to the next level will think about participating.

[quote=“Formosa Fitness”]Hi guys. We’ve decided to start a FREE workout 3x a week that we’ll be posting over at the Kettlebell Taiwan Facebook page: facebook.com/pages/Kettlebe … 8670435141

The idea is to open up some workouts for the broader fitness community outside our gym. It’s a public service but we have to centralize the comments and questions so my trainers can answer them, hence the hosting of the workout on the Facebook page. But i can answer general how’s and why’s here.

We’ll post three workouts a week that you can do in any gym or at home if you have kettlebells. If you don’t, you can use dumbbells but the workout won’t be as good. i can tell you from experience. All we ask is that you comment on each WOD post with the weight you used, your results for the workout, and any questions if you have them. Without participants posting the weight you used and the result, there isn’t much point in us providing the workouts.

If we get 50 people minimum to commit tomorrow, we’ll continue to post the workouts along with videos demoing the moves. If not, we’ll move on to the next idea. I got a ton of them and you never know if they’re gonna work until you try. Hope you’ll workout with us![/quote]

We got a new project folks might be interested in. It’s called the Athena Group and we’re taking a group of normal Taiwan ladies and one ShiDa student from the basics to looking great in 3 months. It’s our way of showing folks that women can train to be strong and look good at the same time.

Check it out:

Yes, that was a set of 6 pullups you saw there at the end. We’re going to be updating folks on a weekly basis and tracking their progress via Youtube, almost like a reality TV show. So you’ll be right there with them as the get in shape. Stay tuned!

We had a great time at our first annual Tactical Strength Challenge today!
The men’s open winner was Tyler who deadlifted 227kg (500lbs), snatched the 24kg 131 times, and IIRC 19 pullups.

Second place went to Mike who challenged Tyler in an exciting snatch showdown with the 24kg! Mike added some humor to the event by casually hanging out on the pullup bar between pullups.

The winner of the men’s novice division was Alex who did just a great job all-around. We love Alex’s warrior spirit!!

Second place in the novice division went to Ting-wei who did the best looking pullups of the day. His pullups were perfect and he pulled each on to the top of his chest! He tied Alex for first place, getting EXACTLY the same score, but Alex was lighter, putting him in first place. Ting-wei will be hungry for a win next year!

Third place in the men’s division went to Billy, who would have placed first if he had pulled more in the deadlift, which he could have done. This was his first competition and he was too conservative with his lifts, as each one went right up without effort. He could have added 20kg to the last deadlift attempt easily, which would have put him in first place. Go for it next year, Billy!!

It was an honor to experience the efforts these guys and gals made today! See you next year!

Here’s a video of what our tactical strength challenge looked like. We had a blast and look forward again to it next year.

the benefits of training for something like this are enormous. So many people lack focus in their fitness. They don’t know what they’re doing, how to do it best, and have no timeline to reach their goals. Training for the tactical strength challenge or a similar competition brings focus to the chaos. It’s held on a certain date so you have to focus your efforts and then ramp them up between now and competition time. The events are set so you know what to train for. Others are also competing so you’ll be able to measure yourself against them. The tactical strength challenge’s three events has one that favors big guys, one that favors smaller but still strong guys, and one that favors endurance. Put these three together and it’s very well balanced and makes a great challenge for anyone.

And fat loss comes into play because your weight is part of the equation. We had two guys in the novice category get exactly the same score, so the lighter guy won! It was that close!

Anyone who is looking for a challenge should try it out next year. See you then.

We will continue to adhere to the core values ​​of the Wellness Gym:
Only provide the most effective training] to help you achieve the desired moving target!

The Wellness Gym all my colleagues, thank you for your support and recognition!

★ full time professional instructors teaching
★ new original top weight training equipment CYBEX
★ new Taiwan-made top cardio SportsArt
★ latest Australian boxing fitness courses Thump Boxing
★ swept the small class group training Boot Camp
★ Russian Kettlebell Best composite training KettleBell of

Wellness Gym
Experience for a free hotline: 0989-668-026 Charlie
Address: 2F, No. 191 Taoyuan City Cihwun Road (with free parking)
Opening Hours: 07:00 - 23:00 Open all year round

We will continue to adhere to the core values ​​of the Wellness Gym:
Only provide the most effective training] to help you achieve the desired moving target!

Wellness Gym
Opening Hours: 07:00 - 23:00 Open all year round

Wellness obviously doesn’t include the integrity to start your own thread…

I think the best place for this below is in the “Fitness centers in Taiwan” thread: forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtop … 54&t=35616

[quote=“charliefan1004”]We will continue to adhere to the core values ​​of the Wellness Gym:

Wellness Gym
Opening Hours: 07:00 - 23:00 Open all year round[/quote]

Shouldn’t the heavier guy win a tie break? Body weight to strength ratio doesn’t scale linearly I don’t think, so the heavier guy is at a disadvantage which should make him the winner no?

Looks like a fun event ! :slight_smile:

Thanks. Yeah, we had a blast and we’ll be running the event again next April/May. More people outside our gym found the video after we put it up so we expect to have more competitors then.

If two guys get the same score then by default the lighter guy wins. In powerlifting, if two men deadlift 800lbs and one man weighs 250lbs but the second weighs only 200lbs, then the first guy is lifting about 3.75x his body weight, but the second guy is lifting 4x his body weight, making him the much stronger of the two. Hope that clears it up.

But with pullups they are both lifting their bodyweight, your the boss but the heavier guy has lifted equal re bodyweight but a heavier weight.

There’s an equation that we plug the raw scores into to derive the final score. you can see it here: tacticalstrengthchallenge.com/rules.aspx

Hope that helps.

Hey Dave, Just wondering what you’d make of my pull ups-I can do 15 in a row with full hang at bottom (1-5 seconds), no body movement (straight legs)(well, maybe I cheat a little on the last 2-3) and am 87-88kg. No straps-with straps I could probably do a few more. I am aiming for 20 in a row by the end of the year.
Cheers.

[quote=“Kea”]Hey Dave, Just wondering what you’d make of my pull ups-I can do 15 in a row with full hang at bottom (1-5 seconds), no body movement (straight legs)(well, maybe I cheat a little on the last 2-3) and am 87-88kg. No straps-with straps I could probably do a few more. I am aiming for 20 in a row by the end of the year.
Cheers.[/quote]

Yeah, that’s pretty good. The pullup is the deadlift of the upper body and most people don’t do enough of them. Glad to see folks taking them seriously. A lot of people at your level start doing weighted pullups. We use a judo belt to hold the weight but a rope might work as well.

Yes I completely agree, in lifting the lighter guy wins. I was simply referring to the Pull-up section which is where I read the comment by you that the lighter guy won the tie. I didn’t realize you meant they tied the whole competition.

Yeah that’s “pretty good” is all the guy gets? You’re a tough crowd :astonished: I’d estimate that half the male population can’t do 1 single proper pull up. If Kea at his weight can do 15 perfect ones he’s kicking ass and would be among a very small percent of the population that can do this. Kea, 15 proper pull ups at your weight is exceptional !

Cheers BG, I’ve been consistent for years, although could try much harder. I’m satisfied with my present level. If I had the time/convenience I would visit FF for sure, he’s got an excellent gym. However, it’s much more convenient for me to do outdoor workouts near my home.

BTW, I like reading your financial/gold posts, good work.

Yeah that’s “pretty good” is all the guy gets? You’re a tough crowd :astonished: I’d estimate that half the male population can’t do 1 single proper pull up. If Kea at his weight can do 15 perfect ones he’s kicking ass and would be among a very small percent of the population that can do this. Kea, 15 proper pull ups at your weight is exceptional ![/quote]

Well I can’t give in so easily, can I? After all appearances have to maintained. :laughing:

Kea is in good shape overall. Very strong guy and he obviously works hard at it. It was very refreshing to meet someone like him.

Agreed about the general population but at our gym, we have quite a few guys that can do at least one set of 15. Check out the TSC video above. But then we tend to attract a different fitness crowd. I guess my perspective is off since that’s where I hang out all the time. :sunglasses:

Quite impressive to say the least. I hope those that can are aware of just how few “regular folks” can get even close to that. I would imagine most guys over the age of 30 would have their hands full with 15 proper push ups, let alone full on pull ups. At the gym I work out at I see many people who have the appearance of a fit person yet would struggle with 2-3 proper pull ups. We have a regular pull up bar and one of the universal assisted ones and in the 4 years I’ve worked out there I can probably count on one hand the number of people I’ve seen using the un-assisted one with any proficiency.

You’re obviously doing something right over there at your gym :bravo:

Just left Formosa. Another great workout. Really enjoying my time there. Was really freaked out when I moved to Taipei 17 days ago. All I saw were dance clubs. Formosa been my savior! Lol. I’m a little surprised about the whole pushup/pull-up thing. This afternoon I warmed up with 60 pushups and 30 pullups. Maybe guys are getting to used to machine exercise?? Pulley setups really eliminate any need for balance and seem to lighten the load on core muscle groups. Dunno.

Sent from my LG-P705 using Tapatalk 2

Quite impressive to say the least. I hope those that can are aware of just how few “regular folks” can get even close to that. I would imagine most guys over the age of 30 would have their hands full with 15 proper push ups, let alone full on pull ups. At the gym I work out at I see many people who have the appearance of a fit person yet would struggle with 2-3 proper pull ups. We have a regular pull up bar and one of the universal assisted ones and in the 4 years I’ve worked out there I can probably count on one hand the number of people I’ve seen using the un-assisted one with any proficiency.

You’re obviously doing something right over there at your gym :bravo:[/quote]

Thanks for the kind words. It’s a difference in equipment and in culture. When you come to Formosa Fitness, there’s a different expectation since the guy next to you might be doing power cleans and the guy on your other side might be swinging our heavy kettlebells. For example, a new lady walked in and signed up today saying she was looking for a place to do Jim Wendler’s 531 program (a powerlifting program) and couldn’t find a serious gym to do it at until she found ours. She’ll fit right in and become a part of our community.

We’re all serious about fitness so we’re like one big family that pushes each other. i know three guys in the gym trying to outdo each other in barbell squatting, for example. Their efforts bring knowledge and experience to the gym that other people in our community can benefit from.

When new people come to our gym, i also give them our official workout plan that should get them doing real pullups fairly soon. So we train newbies into our culture, if they can accept the values. As a gym owner, it’s in my interest for people to make progress.