Formosan black bear

Most certainly, I doubt anyone else would get even close to where those bears are, except for hikers, who have better things to do then killing bears.

1 Like

I don’t think any hunting rights apply to black bears. 12 months custodial sentence for those dickheads.

1 Like

Sure @the_bear would feel that way, but many indigenous groups would argue that it is within their tradition to hunt Formosan bears.

1 Like

And it’s traditional for the government to terrorize and subjugate them.

Works both ways…

2 Likes

Don’t think "traditional "is the right word here.

Neither is “terrorize”, unless you go back to the Japanese colonial era.

Park manager near my house says he quit turning in any Aboriginal people he catches hunting in the park because no one wants to fine them.

But you can’t hunt severely endangered species, that’s a given.

Mind you it does seem numbers are increasing.

Unless you had a lot of kaoliang and binlang.

The KMT’s White Terror (you will note the work “terror” appears in this phrase) also affected Indigenous peoples, some of whom ended up executed or imprisoned on Green Island.

Guy

2 Likes

I suspect some elders in that community would be quite angry at these guys (who look Paiwan?).

I wonder if any media types would even bother to ask what members of the community think (likely they are upset too as someone reported these guys leading to their arrest).

Guy

That might be the case, but it does not justify a statement claiming that the indigenous people have been traditionally terrorized.

Put them naked in a bear trap overnight in the forest.
Killing a little indigenous bear is fucking awful, they really need to get through to them it ain’t clever. Thick twats.

Yes I agree completely. There’s been far too much damage done already. We need more repair.

Guy

You must not be from earth. Calling @yyy

Where aren’t indigenous people traditionally terrorized?

This is off topic, so probably going to temp soon.

I just think that “terrorize” is too strong a term to describe the government’s actions toward the indigenous people without saying which government and which time frame you are referring to.

Taiwan Plus does some legwork to ask what residents think.

One response: there was a problem bear in the neighbourhood; maybe that was the bear killed.

Another response (this time from Indigenous lawmaker Saidhai Tahovecahe) states unequivocally: “Among Indigenous people, Formosan black bears are seen as revered symbols, full of taboos [about killing them].”

https://twitter.com/taiwanplusnews/status/1603329020875227136

Guy

I can neither confirm nor deny. :flying_saucer:

A rare Formosan black bear has been rescued from a steel trap in Hualien in eastern Taiwan, though vets had to amputate a severely damaged toe.

2 Likes

Assholes.

The people who set the trap. Not the rescuers of course. They’re nice people!

1 Like