Forum Upgrade planned for Sun 16 Aug (originally 9 August)

Don’t worry about the downtime and lost posts.

Blame it on the Typhoon.

hi Folks,

JFYI, if I fail to update the software over the next 2 days, the website will be reset to this point (now)

I am also switching off new registrations for the time being. If you are new to Forumosa and want to register, please try on Monday 17 August

g.

Part 1 of the 2-part upgrade seems to be stable :pray:

I need to find a new network to continue the upgrade now. I’ll shut down the forum again within the hour

…and, we’re back.

Doesn’t look like anything was lost.

All good?

Registrations will be opened by tomorrow (Tue) - I’m sorry for the inconvenience

The 2nd half software upgrade I tried this morning has failed. I’ll try again tonight when there are less people online

The forum has been restored to the last Server-side Backgup - which was at about 7:50pm Monday 17 Aug Taiwan Standard time

Registrations to Forumosa remain suspended. Will look to open them again tomorrow (hopefully) after I’ve upgraded the software

I was thinking of starting a discussion on some DSLR cameras, but don’t want to lose the info. Please let us know when it’s safe again (i.e., when there’s no significant risk of another roll-back in which posts might be lost) – thanks!

It’s safe to post now.

We’ll do the next Server-side backup between 8 and 9pm tonight. So anything before 8pm today will be backed up

When we do the backup, we reboot our database, too. The entire Server-side process itself seems to take down our entire server (including Taiwanted, etc) for about 10 minutes. After that, I temporarily suspend the forums - while the software update process checks and adjusts web files, you can ‘see’ the header and footer of the forums but nothing else is accessible

We learned during Typhoon Morakot that the Server-side backup is the quickest and most secure way to bring the forums back

I had my entire life savings stored in one of my recent posts, and it’s now disappeared. Who do I speak to about reimbursement?

Someone lost a whole thread in the Women’s forum. Posted about 20 hrs(?) ago, with subsequent replies.

Just letting you know.

[quote=“Buttercup”]Someone lost a whole thread in the Women’s forum. Posted about 20 hrs(?) ago, with subsequent replies.

Just letting you know.[/quote]
I lost an entire thread last week with the initial upgrade…

[quote=“bismarck”][quote=“Buttercup”]Someone lost a whole thread in the Women’s forum. Posted about 20 hrs(?) ago, with subsequent replies.

Just letting you know.[/quote]
I lost an entire thread last week with the initial upgrade…[/quote]

Can’t be helped, of course, but maybe hold off asking important Qs/posting lots of info for the time being?

I’m still here and its 11:03 bwahahahaha

[quote=“Funk500”]I’m still here and its 11:03 bwahahahaha[/quote]Everything that is posted before the site goes down tonight will be part of the Server-side Backup. So any necessary restorations after this will be reset to this point :slight_smile:

damn. I thought we were all gonna turn into pumpkins or something

I’ve discovered the cure for ageing. You just need to use an enzyme inhibitor to block the actions of !@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A!@%@^&(S(()A)A
SQL SERVER UNREACHABLE POST CORRUPTED then add something to mop up the free radicals, make sure you compensate increased telomerase activty and you’ll live forever.

Thanks KingZog!

It’s working for me . . .

so far . . .

Everything posted BEFORE this post will be saved should I have to restore the forum

Is the site too huge to make a backup before touching the upgrade button?
mysqldump and so on I mean…

Is the site too huge to make a backup before touching the upgrade button?
mysqldump and so on I mean…[/quote]Our forum database is now over 2GB (brand new phpBB forums start at about 190MB), so this isn’t something I would want to download over bandwidth – particularly my slow connections in China.

For security purposes, backup of the SQL resources is done by request of our webhost. They are based in New Jersey, so they aren’t available during the afternoon in Shanghai/Taipei. More importantly, I haven’t learned how to restore a mysqldump from our server and reboot our SQL engine (actually, I’m just scared to screw that up). If this is something I can eventually do on my own, I’ll learn it

I’m hoping we can do one more server-side back up now, then I can make some long-awaited modifications to the forums