Forumosa equivalent in Shanghai?

Hi,

I have always found forumosa quite comprehensive and full of great events (hiking, etc).

Is there a reasonable equivalent for Shanghai on the mainland?

Thanks!

shanghaiexpat.com/

when I was living in China, I spend some time on this forum:
bbs.chinadaily.com.cn/index.php
I don’t think it’s near as good as forumosa. Acutally I think it kinda suck… People here seem much (MUCH) more mature here.
But now you can at least check it out - it might have something you can use :idunno:

yeh, i dont really like that bbs.chinadaily website… it has a lot of adverts and a lot of people who keep posting negatively… its a pisser

Try www.tealic.com

Not like here…we’re such a positive bunch! :slight_smile:

trust me, you are… :wink:

Looks mostly to be “For Sale” ads.

Any good suggestions for forums in Shanghai?

I checked out some expat forums and especially in shanghai. They’re all super negative about china and just seem to shit on locals and look down on them. I mean I can understand why, and in some cases rightfully so. But it seems like forumosans are much more integrated to taiwan and not as critical.

Maybe those sites just don’t have as good moderators as we do. :grin:

5 Likes

Yea, we have the best moderators :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m guessing forums with open discussion are 1) mostly blocked and that b) people in Shanghai have a lot more options for things to do.

Living in China is way tougher than Taiwan. Also the firewall thing leaves you pretty disconnected from home and the outside world. It’s alienating

1 Like

Sure, I lived I Beijing, chengdu and Wuhan to study for a couple months. I guess it wasn’t so bad for me as I could speak Chinese and get around and talk to locals. But it’s more of the pompous attitude of we are so much better than the locals I see there. The expat packages are considerably high compared to locals but they seem to not want to even try to get along with locals and stay with the expat bubble. Everyone just seem so negative, and some with just cause just as there are problems in taiwan as well.

I lived in China for three years. Maybe as an ABC you have it different, but there is real bubbling under the surface xenophobia there. It’s tough man

1 Like

Yeah, they would randomly take pictures of my blonde friend when we walked around. I wouldn’t want to live there permanently. But I had a pretty fun time there. Paid off my professors, partied like 3-4 times a week. My only gripe is the food.

Eh?

Bribing is pretty common there. you cant even go to the doctors without bringing him a carton of cigarettes for him to actually look at you. I may have found ways to bribe many of my professors during my time there so wouldn’t have to do anything.

I’m talking more people starting fights with you in bars and telling your Chinese gf off for being with a foreigner. Or just general xenophobic comments in the office.

Living in China for three months is nothing. Try living there for a few years and you will get why foreigners get bitter.

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s too bad Andrew has living and infinite camouflage in which no one could actually tell he’s not from China, unless he opens his mouth to speak. :laughing:

1 Like