Forumosa vs. Taiwaneasy, Forumosa then vs. now

I agree. I like the font and design on this site better than Taiwanease. It’s more aesthetically appealing, imo. It will be a shame if it changes much

Same here.

A: “Wasn’t this tabu??”
B: “Never was. Also, nothing is tabu’.”
— thread gets locked —

:loco:

I locked it temporarily last night. Carry on

Without animosity or snarkyness, I remain curious about the reason. Was it at such risk of degenerating that it needed to be locked for the night?? :o Am I ignorant of some particularly nasty flame war about this topic?

Sometimes during sex I think about baseball for the sake of doing it longer. I think it had something to do with that

Bottom line, vis a vis moi is this: when I first joined Forumosa I used to get banned bi-weekly for disagreeing with key opinion leaders of the clique, I even got accused of ‘smurfing’ when I didn’t do squat (the idea that I needed to make another account to get my point across is laughable as I have always been candid with this one). Basically if you aren’t a longterm ESLer with a penchant for Taiwany shit and leftist leaning views they are going to come down and report your posts till you get banned. The rules were manipulated in a way to keep the clique happy, and that is totally understandable, they were mates in real life and this was their forum, but the trouble with cliquesque forums is they loath outsiders and never grow because of that (though there are seriously limitations to how much a boutique forum about life for English speakers in Taiwan can actually grow).

Once all the tired old fuddy-duddy fucked off to their new shiny forum I haven’t been banned…coincidence? I think not.

The most interesting people around this forum in the one forum days were Jimi P, Tainan Cowboy and Chewytwat (said with affection, don’t ban me) and with the exception of Jimi, who was a mod, they were constantly banned, and I say they are interesting even though their political views are completely retarded and out of touch with reality. But I never got butthurt about it, never felt the need to report shit, I think a lot of those types (who get butthurt and report posts) migrated across the way.

There are some newish posters on Forumosa who I find entertaining, and that is good.

Hoorah for the unlock and for not pruning the thread. Forumosa is changing for the better. Well done guys. Why the heck should so many people have to fall under the personal laws of ONE PERSON who wants us to try to be sensitive to the emotions of the two site owners over an adult decision they made, especially if one of them hosts the discussion and the other is happy to talk about it? And… this thread is invaluable feedback from the users to the owners.

One guy told me he favours flob cos the knees has a font colour too bright for sneaky work viewing. Maoman, that’s something to think about, dude.

One mod one forum is a spectacularly bad idea. Government of the people by the individual… nope. Not good.

Happy to talk about it? That’s a relief. I’ve been fearing the worst . . . expecting any day now to find the front page of Apple Daily splashed with lurid pictures of Forumosans and Taiwaneasians rumbling in the streets of Taipei with multiple casualties.

Allowing one person proxy permission to lockdown an engaging thread for their personal reasons is crazy bananas.

That’s silly. Nothing but love from here for the fine folks at Taiwaneasia :heart:

The name of this thread may be slightly amiss; it’s not a competition AFAIC. Hell I post there too :slight_smile:

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtop … 0#p1515180

Apologies for not saying anything at time, but I locked it for a cooling off period last night.

By the way, this is a moderated site. No one is doing anything for personal reasons but in the interests of maintaining civil discussion, as in 914’s polite post of yesterday. I for one am not getting what you’ve been driving at. Someone has to keep the carpet clean.

So maybe the best way to make sense of this whole Forumosa vs. Taiwanease thing is to just think of it in terms of The Rapture and let it go at that.

That’s silly. Nothing but love from here for the fine folks at Taiwaneasia :heart:

The name of this thread may be slightly amiss; it’s not a competition AFAIC. Hell I post there too :slight_smile:

forumosa.com/taiwan/posting … #pr1515180

Apologies for not saying anything at time, but I locked it for a cooling off period last night.

By the way, this is a moderated site. No one is doing anything for personal reasons but in the interests of maintaining civil discussion, as in 914’s polite post of yesterday. I for one am not getting what you’ve been driving at. Someone has to keep the carpet clean.[/quote]

Perhaps just Mod title to Taiwanease/Forumosa? I understand the job you do and explaining /changing your mind on reflection,shows a sensibility that’s commendable.

“There are all kinds of courage,” said Dumbledore, smiling. “It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends. I therefore award ten points to Tempo Gain.”
Brown nosing over :stuck_out_tongue:

Maybe the OP was using the Taiwan definition of “vs” meaning “and.” :idunno:

SK, they have a mods’ forum where I am sure all things weighty are discussed and advice sought and given. They don’t lock things down willy nilly and there is a higher authority that is the fairest and balancest of them all that appeals can run to.

Many have said they are enjoying the new feel. I too think things are eons better than in the heyday of bannings and the kangaroo court.

I’ve had the occasional post flamed in past weeks/months and never gave it a second thought. I doubt it’s a sign of maturity on my part, more an acceptance that the people doing the flaming are doing so with an all-encompassing concern for the well-being of the site. In the past, I felt such actions were extremely personal. Not so this last 1.5 years.

It’s all good man.

I guess since just about everyone else has weighed in on this, I might as well speak my piece too.

I’ve never used Taiwanease. I suppose I could check it out, but from what I’ve heard about it, it seems more geared toward newcomers to Taiwan, which I am definitely not. Also, I don’t have any real beef with Forumosa, so why switch?

If I had to pick one thing that bugs me about the flob, it’s the borderline racist snarkiness toward the Taiwanese that I see from a number of posters. So many threads degenerate into pejorative blanket statements: Taiwanese can’t build houses for shit, Taiwanese don’t take their work seriously, Taiwanese are ignorant, Taiwanese won’t practice Chinese with me, Taiwanese girls are psycho, and so forth. There is some truth in each of those assertions, but come on, if you really think Taiwan is such a shithole, why do/did you choose to live here? Yes, everyone needs to rant now and then, but some people seem to do it ALL THE TIME. Fortunately, there other posters (BigJohn comes to mind) who speak up for the Taiwanese and counteract the negativity.

At the end of the day, I use Forumosa because I enjoy it. I’ve only met a few posters in real life, but there are plenty I haven’t met whose posts I enjoy. I’ve literally laughed out loud at more threads than I can remember. Mean-spirited argument, particularly political argument, is not my cup of tea–if I want to discuss global warming or international politics or whatever, I’ll do it with people I know in real life, not anonymous ideologues on an internet forum. I try to avoid confrontation unless it’s absolutely necessary, and I’ve never been warned or banned or sent a rude PM or anything. I have met interesting people, though, and learned about things like hiking trails, road bikes, and photography. I’m not saying people shouldn’t use the forum to express their opinions on serious subjects–if that’s your thing, I don’t have a problem with that, as long as you’re reasonably civil. People are always complaining about how heavy-handed the mods are, but overall I think they do a pretty good job.

Its really the RUPTURE, but both sides are talking bout the same stuff. More of the same-ish discussion in a different bottle.

I’m here because I think Forumosa is a more cleverish and catchy phrase than Taiwanease. I mean come on, “Taiwanease?” How about Taiwan Knees, or Taiwan Cheese? :neutral:

Oh man…I didn’t even know about Taiwanease…I waste enough time at work looking through Forumosa and now I’ve been given a whole other unexplored forum site…

:bravo: Bingo! I was going for brevity instead of writing out “What’s the difference between…”

I’ll drink to that. Now try and make an impression on my Angry Birds score please, sir. :beer: