Forumosa vs. Taiwaneasy, Forumosa then vs. now

Unfortunately for you, I am only a NY Area sports fan. So the best football analogy I got is Ottis “OJ” Anderson of the 1986 Champion NY Giants. You may recall that Anderson was the “other running back” - Joe Morris was the star RB at the time. He spent his first 6 seasons with the St Louis Cardinals, where he rushed for over 1,000 yards every year, except for the 1982 strike season. By the time he signed with the NYG in 1986, injuries had taken their toll. Yet, he was an invaluable member of the team - he was Morris’ blocker. And Morris had an amazing season; it was widely understood, this was because of Anderson.

I don’t mean to say that Forumosa is “reduced” to a role player. More that it continues to evolve, and hopefully we are wise enough to figure out how to make the most of the situation.

Let me try this again. I wasn’t sure it was OJ Anderson I had in mind. And I was right. The blocking back who made “Joe Morris the Joe Morris of 1986” was not OJ Anderson… it was Maurice Carthon!

Unfortunately for you, I am only a NY Area sports fan. So the best football analogy I got is Maurice Carthon of the 1986 Champion NY Giants. You may recall that Carthon was the “other running back” - Joe Morris was the star RB at the time. He was an invaluable member of the team - he was Morris’ blocker. And Morris had an amazing season; it was widely understood, this was because of Carthon.

I don’t mean to say that Forumosa is “reduced” to a role player. More that it continues to evolve, and hopefully we are wise enough to figure out how to make the most of the situation.

He was considered a bruising back with superb blocking skills. …
Carthon won two championship rings with the Giants in Super Bowl XXI and Super Bowl XXV. His best season was in 1986, when he finished as the team’s second leading rusher with 260 yards, while also helping diminutive halfback Joe Morris rush for a then-franchise record 1,516 yards.

1 Like

Not a movie, but a super hero: Frank Miller’s Dark Knight Returns. Does that work?

Now that’s service! It’s all starting to make sense now. Hopefully the forum has a deep enough bench to make it to the big game, and maybe we can all win a valuable ring to sell on Ebay so we can afford the good painkillers when our bodies are old and ravaged and our multiple concussions keep us from landing one of those lucrative sports announcer contracts on ESPN. Sorry for the run-on sentence.

1 Like

With nothing but respect to both forums, it does seem participation is severely drying up in the other one especially. For example, the last post in Taiwan Politics on Taiwaneasy (as of this writing) was May 2017. Many if not most categories having sparse activity in 2018 (travel, restaurants, etc). Strange. They also seem to have changed the name from “Taiwanease” to “Taiwaneasy”. What the hell happened?

Maybe when you take out the bad and the ugly you are left only with the good. And there’s not enough of those for lively discussion.

1 Like

They do stuff on Facebook and have a semi active group. I don’t check their forum. One is enough for me.

1 Like

I was invited once to join. Declined because one tommy is enough, then later decided to join, was declined.

I only go there once or twice a year and
Yes seems little activity.

I was invited once too. I think the problem with them is when you google blah blah blah in Taiwan, usually this forum pops up not them. Although most people just pop in for a question here and never show up again. Probably because we banter too much lol and get side tracked real fast.

Well forumosa is sorta like a men’s club although it tries hard not to be

And Taiwanease is more of a closed society
and more clique-ish it seems

Even so, I got tired of the uncontrolled ad hominem attacks from the owner’s special friends and have never gone back to Taiwanease since the “rupture”, as they put it in this thread.

3 Likes

Indeed the rupture is no rapture

I think it will all have been better if the whole show stayed together

Maybe they can merge or would that be unwelcome

I think we respect the hell out up the women that have tough skin and stick around and probably treat them better than most posters.

1 Like

I don’t go to that board and didn’t know it existed till now however I’ll keep my fish in this bowl for nows

I’ll start a new forum soon, ‘TaiwanWhat?’ … any one in joining? :wink:

Mod’s will be real AI bots, not like that Disco bot thing!

I suggest calling it “Taiwannabe.”

Sports discussions are generally much better on Taiwanease. It’s also very useful if you are looking for good places to eat. Other than that there’s not a great deal of action.

lots of action on this one here is where it is

You should’ve seen this place in the 20aughts. :+1:

1 Like

So much better now, nu?

The “rupture” should not have happened in the first place. And there is still no clarity even now on why it happened. The attempts to explain it just seem a bit off. I suppose the key players will carry this to their graves.

1 Like