Found a useful app for Bars

Hi Guys,

Thought this might be handy, a app called FunNow (www.funnow.com.tw) that lets you find bars nearby. A local friend of mine who is also letting me borrow her sofa (would that be sofasurfing?) gave me the heads up. She took me to Beau near Xinyi Anhe MRT, a really beautiful bar. Though I only had some fried cheese sticks and fries since I’m a veggie. Some downsides, not everything is translated to English, so I had to ask the owner of my sofa what everything means, and you need to swipe a credit card which I’m not used to do on my mobile. Maybe not a new idea for an app but they do have some nice bars. App has other stuff and I might try a massage/spa place but I’m googling the places just to make sure its not dodgy, if you know what I mean :stuck_out_tongue:

Can you guys recommend one? One that speaks some English would help.

Thanks!

Ellie

Yelp is an English friendly app that isn’t bar exclusive, but restaurants, parks and some hiking trails too.

You can also use Facebook and search bars in Taipei. Some venues will show and link their own website via their Facebook. If you’re lucky, they’ll have a typed out menu you can just translate via Chrome or copy and paste to Google translate.

FunNow looks very nice and useful at my first glance and I’ll try it more. Looks like good consolidated information in very nice setup ready to navigate. The maps I looked at are a bit odd as they face East instead of facing North with North at top.

The places listed are very nice and trendy but there are some places missing.

Used FunNow for bar and massage a couple of times. Not bad. Looks like they aren’t just an information provider, but rather you can really reserve/book services on it. If a certain bar is not on there I guess they don’t work with FunNow yet.

The bar deals are pretty decent too. Hope they are serious in developing a English version (seems like working in progress). Really need an App in Taiwan for expats!!!

thanks for the tip!

e.max

Finally went to a massage place called Kinraku with my couch owner, the oil massage was surprisingly good, but I didn’t like the foot massage. I’m really ticklish, so I was trying really hard not to giggle! So glad when it was over, I could breathe again! Slept really well after the full body oil massage though. Highly recommended!

I saw they have a promotion code “ILOVEFUNNOW”, you get 100 taiwan dollars towards your next pint haha, didn’t see when it will end though.

Cheers!

e.max

pray do tell! Sounds like you know some nice places!

e.max

Wish it had event listings telling information about what music band or DJ is playing every night.

Without that it’s just another listing that’s available on many other apps even Google maps.