Frames for a custom bike?

So… this is an idea I’ve been toying with for a while already, and may be it’s about time to finally do it: I would like to build up my own (road) bicycle. My gf doesn’t give a shit about bicycles but I want her to ride more, and I think that her heavy bike plays against this… and well, it’s a good excuse. Another option is to build up one for me, and give her my current bike as a gift :smiley:

Anyway, the question is… what Taiwan made frames are good/reliable? is there any brand that I should avoid? Hasa? Performer? Mosso?

Thanks.

[quote=“jesus80”]So… this is an idea I’ve been toying with for a while already, and may be it’s about time to finally do it: I would like to build up my own (road) bicycle. My gf doesn’t give a shit about bicycles but I want her to ride more, and I think that her heavy bike plays against this… and well, it’s a good excuse. Another option is to build up one for me, and give her my current bike as a gift :smiley:

Anyway, the question is… what Taiwan made frames are good/reliable? is there any brand that I should avoid? Hasa? Performer? Mosso?

Thanks.[/quote]

I haven’t heard of anything bad here or in the cycling scene of anyone saying a certain brand is “bad”. The most I’ve heard is the Giant Anyroad (in the separate thread) and the a friend’s Giant Defy Adv TRP disc brakes having issues. However, those are considered blips on the radar with the volume of good frames that Giant dishes out. Any frame or components you buy can have issues, just the luck of the draw!

It really comes down to how much you want to spend, what components and if you like the frame or not.

I can’t say much about Hasa or Mosso, but I know that Performer is a budget buy. Not that they don’t have good frames or bad components because they do use Shimano and SRAM components, but they are priced a little lower than that of Giant or Merida.

Go into a shop that’s doesn’t have the Giant or Merida sign and take a look around. If you need a suggestion, go look around Spring Field bikes down over by SYS Memorial Hall. Not too far from your work place, Jesus.

Hasa, Mosso, Performer, Gusto, Primavera… Kuota? all are “budget” or cheaper minor brands. Which I don’t care. I just don’t want to buy something I shouldn’t (well, something I would regret for quality reasons or so).

I don’t know hwat the budget will be… I don’t even know yet if I will make the bike, and if it’s going to be for me or my gf… but if it’s for me, the frame will be light and the groupset will be either 105 or Rival. If it’s for my gf, a heavier frame and I guess that Sora is a good option too.

I found these frames that seem to have been painted in China instead of Italy, or something like that… and the price is wow. Quality (and weight), no idea. But I really like the looking:

goods.ruten.com.tw/item/show?21310308275293
goods.ruten.com.tw/item/show?21311019320878
goods.ruten.com.tw/item/show?21612261854660

And this one:

goods.ruten.com.tw/item/show?21623852190267

Being a mediocre rider, I feel like I have to say that I don’t need another bike, it would be more about the fun of building up something on my own… something that me or my gf can ride. And if it’s for me, a slightly bigger size to what I ride now would be welcome

So you started your post with saying “it’s time to finally do it” ask for some tips then replied with saying you may not even need a frame or may not build a bike? Be more indecisive. This is so very you.

If you’re thinking 105 or Rival, your budget is anything from 35-60K NTD depending on carbon/alu frame and wheels.

Kuota is NOT considered a budget buy. I can tell you that.

Try these: Aventon. Ridley. Cannondale. Bianchi. Fondriest. BH. Specialized. CUBE. Swift. CEEPO.

Last, but certainly not least, Laguna. I can talk to James for you if you’re decided on making the purchase.

Hahaha, well, I will do it if everything goes right money wise these months. My gf doesn’t want another bike and I don’t need it either, but I always wanted to do it. :stuck_out_tongue:

I think that I should be able to do it under or around 40k (the “nice” one), and the simpler one should be 10k less. Which is a lot of money actually, but well…

I would love to build up a BH, or an Orbea (I don’t need to explain why), but prices here are prohibitive. The good ones are expensive even in Spain actually. So I would like to go with something local.

Or may be I won’t do anything :smiley:

EDIT: now I’m not sure about the prices I said above… that might be when I was looking into cheaper frames.

well, look for a frame at 1300 g and a fork at no more than 400 g. look at high end Merida, giant, and Kuota frames. even Anchor (what a bad name) or Mekk.

then carbon wheels from velocite or similar Taiwan brand (normally made in China now).

the groupset will be the most expensive, and for saving 100g at the high end you pay the most.

SRAM will be cheaper than Shitano for the same performance. Actually, better performance.

but you save the most by building your own wheels and assembling your own bike. Expect reasonable taiwan wheel builders to have a 6 week minimum waiting list, up to 6 months.

I’d start by finding out what geometry frame you need first.

Urodacus, those are main brands and I totally get the benefits of getting something like a Merida or a Giant, which have life time warranty. But, do you see any reason against getting any of the other brands mentioned? As for the carbon fiber wheels… is it really worth it? I mean for my budget… I was thinking of getting something like a Fulcrum 5 or 3 if I want to make it “expensive”…

ShutUpLegs, I guess that you made a good point. I currently ride a TCR composite 2, and I’m happy with the more “racing” posture… but obviously if it were for my gf, something a little bit more upright would be good. Every time I look at frames/tubes diagrams i wonder if besides the riding posture there is any important difference from one bike design to another…

Oh… and there’s this other brand with nice looking frames, “matrix”. Does anybody know it?

Oh2. Do the bianchi linked before seem legit?

I’ve no experience of the other brands you mention so I can’t help you there. i think most frame builders that have some reasonable sales are going to be pretty similar now, because the carbon thing is well established and lots of people know how to make OK bikes.

carbon wheels from Taiwan home brands can be cheaper than alloy wheels from main brands, and they ride so well… but if that’s out of your budget then just get some Fulcrums or cheaper (try and avoid Formula hubs) but for heavens sake put some more spoke tension into them first.

I built my ex-wife a great straight bar conversion from an alloy TCR XXS size with 650 wheels. I loved it, it’s gorgeous, and she must have ridden it about 10 times about 10 km at most. it’s not about the bike, of course,

Lol… I got here looking for info on Mosso frames…

Just in case anybody is interested: http://www.mosso.com.tw/products.php?func=p_list&pc_parent=2

Whatever happened to…

And I don’t need it. Perhaps mine is a bit short, and given that my feet are long, sometimes I would like to have a slightly larger frame.

But read my post again, this project is something I wanted to do for fun, and most likely for someone else. Or for me. I don’t know :slight_smile:

Most of the people don’t need to buy the bikes they buy, and they don’t need the improvements they make over the stock components. But hey, it’s fun, and well, we are consumerist.

I’ve said it countless number of times. A proper bike fitting will tell you what you need to know.

I’m guilty of this. I just bought a Dura Ace 9000 group set and Dura Ace C24 wheels. No frame (and some other parts). Going to slowly put this project together. I was tired of being without a bike while one was in the shop being maintenanced.

The Bianchi you linked to is aluminum. I got the carbon equivalent 2nd hand for 15,000. There’s something a bit fishy about them (my guess mainland parallel imports) but they seem legit.

Yeah, I think somebody translated it to me and it was something like just a paint job, or some licensing or similar. It’s a pity. That color combines so well with my current Giant aero wheels :smiley: Those frames were also heavy. Even the original ones are heavy.

xD Durace nonetheless! That must have set you off half salary! I don’t remember numbers, but I don’t think that’s exactly a cheap groupset. I might be interested in your crankset, if it’s of no use to you anymore, and if it fits my bike without problems and… cheaply.

I just checked the price of the Dura-ace groupset on CRC:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/tw/en/shimano-dura-ace-9000-11-speed-groupset/rp-prod116658

LOL.

Edit: OK, I thought you were going to update your bike, not to build a new one. Nice project.

It may be something else. Something that the Giant bike fit won’t cover.

This is what I meant about a proper bike fitting. Why not spend a little extra and get the answer of what you should change. Instead of guessing?

We all know Giant shops push inventory on its customers regardless of whether the bike fits them or not. I’ve lost count of how many people I’ve met with Giant bikes that aren’t their size.

I have tried a slightly larger frame, and the feeling was better. But again, there’s nothing at all on my bike that I can (or perhaps should) change as a workaround for this. The crank arm shouldn’t (can’t?) be any shorter, the wheel is where it is, and my cleats are in the correct position. And my foot is long enough for touching the wheel when the steering is in certain angle.

Now, giant pushing S frames because of their stock… that could be. I’m not saying that’s what happened though. I read a few comments some time ago about Giant undersizing you. Also some Taiwanese do believe that it’s better to have a smaller than a bigger bike.

How long is your the crank?

I’m still confused as to what your problem is. If your wheel is hitting your (left) foot, say your crank is in the 8 olock to 10 oclock angle and when the tip of your wheel is angled at the 12 oclock to 2 o clock angle, then that’s somewhat normal. Happens to me when I I’m weaving through traffic going towards the scooter box on the bike.