Free admission to the National Palace Museum...but ARC holders excluded

Same was as citizens…

MM, that is all we need.

And an evil face emoji.

You can use this one:
:smiling_imp:

Can’t we open a class action lawsuit for such thing?
I mean about the “same way as citizens” not about the evil face emoji

Called to verify if this policy is still in place. Now APRC holders are given the same discounted or free admission as ID holders (but you must bring your APRC card as NHI cards don’t show your permanent status). Regular ARC holders are still being treated as foreign tourists.

4 Likes

Whoa, excellent news!

Just saw that the National Palace Museum has no reviews on Google maps. Whoa, are they censoring it?

Good news for APRC holders , still quite insulting to ARC holders who are just treated like visitors

Does NPM offer some kind of resident-only after hours admission? And if so does an APRC qualify? I’d definitely go for that. Throngs of tourists is why I avoid the NPM like the plague.

Free admission to the museum made me consider getting APRC for a moment.

3 Likes

I thought you were a Taiwan national!

Good news but I want to hear that somebody has actually gotten past the door.

The last time that I went was with a handful of people in which the overseas Chinese, including one who was on a tourist visa, for in the local price but I was told that I needed to pay the foreigner, despite having an APRC.

Update on this topic. I sent a letter last summer, in Chinese, addressed to the director of the NPM, with carbon copy to the minister for the National Development Council and the two conveners of the Legislative Yuan’s education committee.

I had written in the letter that I am a foreigner married to a local. I got a response from the NPM in September weakly defending the policy, but at the very end, stating that spouses of Taiwan nationals will now enjoy the same discounts as Taiwan nationals. Another bandaid for a larger problem, but it’s still progress. If you have a family based ARC with your spouse’s name on it, please try it and let me know.

5 Likes

I went last month with my wife and got this discount, which surprised me as none of the signage mentioned it. So it does seem to be real.

Thanks you for your efforts!

4 Likes

This policy may have changed. The English section still reads “R.O.C. citizens may visit the exhibitions in the Main Building free-of-charge daily from 16:30 onwards by showing ID, in effect from September 1, 2017 to December 31, 2020”. However, the Chinese version includes all APRC holders: “自106年9月1日起至109年12月31日止,每日下午4時30分起,國人憑證件及持中華民國外僑永久居留證者可免費參觀正館(第一展覽區)”

Will be interesting to see if the staff even know the difference between an APRC and regular ARC. My bet is if they are allowing APRC holders in, there is a good chance other regular ARC holders can get in as well.

1 Like

It’s highly unlikely that I would want to visit a bastion of fascist colonialism. But, if by circumstance, it were forced on me, there would be a massive amount of hellfire bestowed upon the jobsworths by this APRC holder, if I were refused the discount.
And my wife can be a veritable bonfire of discontent if prodded in the right places. :hot_face:

2 Likes

I wasn’t aware of this. Although it is nice to now have a solid reason for not visiting. I thought I was just being lazy and uncultured before, but now I’m not going in protest against the discriminatory admission policy. :rage:

2 Likes

I called and asked before and they do. They told me APRC holders have to show them their resident card so they can verify they’re an APRC holder instead of an ARC holder. They won’t accept a NHI card or drivers license with a letter in the second digit.

1 Like

It seems like such a pointlessly exclusionary policy to have though. I suspect that the vast majority of ARC holders couldn’t give a rat’s ass about visiting the museum for free and that the impact of including them would be entirely negligible.

What are they actually worried about - that they’re going to be swamped by tens of thousands of tax-paying Indonesian and Filipino workers desperate to look at some old Chinese stuff on their one day off per month?

Even in Thailand, you would quite often be able to pay the local price instead of the farang price by showing some proof that you weren’t a tourist, like a local driving license or long-term visa. Good work, Taiwan. :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

How times have changed…
All my bills for rent, utilities and CC are on auto-pay. I don’t even have to go online manually :slight_smile:

I order all goods online @ home… Costco, Amazon, PCHome.

Don’t have a bankbook, never had one, never needed one.

Have 2 Credit cards which I can use to buy something worth even $10 at a local 7-11

1 Like