Free & Anonymous HIV rapid test for Gay male

Free and Anonymous [color=#FF0000]ABBOTT[/color] HIV rapid test - a special service for gay male
This service is provided by Gay Community Center Taipei http://zh-tw.facebook.com/pages/%E5%A4%A7%E5%8F%B0%E5%8C%97%E5%90%8C%E5%AD%B8%E6%9C%83/160160320764149?sk=wall&filter=12
Sponsored by LOFAA http://www.lofaa.org.tw/

Abbott HIV rapid test takes only one drop of blood. More than 99.9% accuracy.
If you’re not ready for an accurate test result within 20 minutes, maybe it’s not the right time for you.
There’s always regular blood tests available. You decide.

Time and Date: 1:30 pm - 9:00 pm every Tuesday and Thursday
TEL : 02-2250-5110 / To ensure your privacy, make a reservation in advance

Regular Business Hour: 1:30 pm - 9:30 pm, Tuesday through Saturday

(Family Mart at ground floor)
新北市板橋區民生路二段250號五樓 (w/elevator), 全家超商五樓

Travel Guide: Exit 4/Juquang Road (w/escalator) , Xinpu station, Banqiao Line, Taipei MRT

Is this service only available to gay males?

Are you sure it’s truly confidential?

When I was getting my health check for my APRC, Ren Ai Hospital had a statement that said: “Your test results are confidential. If you test positive for HIV, we will report you to the authorities in a confidential way.” :noway:

It’s FREE for gay male. One would have to pay for the test if not gay, I’m afraid :blush:
Still, it’s an anonymous test service for whoever needs it :bow:

[quote=“Chris”]Are you sure it’s truly confidential?

When I was getting my health check for my APRC, Ren’ai Hospital had a statement that said: “Your test results are confidential. If you test positive for HIV, we will report you to the authorities in a confidential way.” :noway:[/quote]

This is an anonymous test service. HIV positive is not an issue here in our office :bow:

Which HIV rapid test is used?

What is the test specimen (blood, saliva)?

How is this funded?

Who administers the test?

Do you have any links to online references in Chinese about this service?

And…I also wonder…why gay men only, and how is sexuality determined?

It’s FREE for gay male. One would have to pay for the test if not gay, I’m afraid :blush:
Still, it’s an anonymous test service for whoever needs it :bow:[/quote]
So who, exactly, are you? Could you please supply some details? This is a community website, and offers of free, confidential HIV tests are generous and welcome. Some specifics, please. :bow:

I could just walk in, claiming to be gay and get a free, “confidential” test, 'cause I’m a man, right?

And, pray tell, why are women excluded from this benefit?

Maybe not in your office (kind of obvious for an HIV clinic) but don’t you still have to tell the government if a foreigner is HIV+?

So all I would need to do is say “I’m a gay male” and I’d get a free test? How many clients have you had to date who have said sorry, I’m straight, so I’ll need to pay… And why do gay men get the test for free but not straights? Sounds highly discriminatory. How about gay women? Do they also need to pay?

Maybe not in your office (kind of obvious for an HIV clinic) but don’t you still have to tell the government if a foreigner is HIV+?[/quote]

We’re not the POLICE, I’m afraid. It’s not our job to report someone (whichever nationality) who has the virus. On the other hand, it’s our duty to provide resources if HIV positive result is confirmed :bow:

[color=#008000]Moderator’s note: lofaawork (OP) has updated the original post with more detailed information about this service.[/color]

[b]lofaawork, thanks for the updated info, much appreciated, and thanks for posting this on a ‘foreigners’ forum :bow:

A few more questions:

Could you please explain how sexuality is determined?

What is the price for heteros and gay women who would like an anonymous HIV test?[/b]

Maybe not in your office (kind of obvious for an HIV clinic) but don’t you still have to tell the government if a foreigner is HIV+?[/quote]

We’re not the POLICE, I’m afraid. It’s not our job to report someone (whichever nationality) who has the virus. On the other hand, it’s our duty to provide resources if HIV positive result is confirmed :bow:[/quote]

[b]Does this mean that:

You will NOT collect any private data (such as ID card, passport, and/or telephone number etc.?)
Clients are allowed to enter the office with a face mask (to avoid security cameras etc.)?[/b]

[quote=“lofaawork”]Free and Anonymous [color=#FF0000]ABBOTT[/color] HIV rapid test - a special service for gay male
This service is provided by Gay Community Center Taipei http://zh-tw.facebook.com/pages/大台北同學會/160160320764149?sk=wall&filter=12

If you’re not ready for an accurate test result within 20 minutes, maybe it’s not the right time for you.

Travel Guide: Exit 4/Juquang Road (w/escalator) , Xinpu station, Banqiao Line, Taipei MRT

[/quote]

So all I would need to do is say “I’m a gay male” and I’d get a free test? How many clients have you had to date who have said sorry, I’m straight, so I’ll need to pay… And why do gay men get the test for free but not straights? Sounds highly discriminatory. How about gay women? Do they also need to pay?[/quote]

a. The funding is limited for gay male, to begin with.

b. There’ll be a short conversation before the test, generally over the phone, to make sure it’s the RIGHT TIME to take the test :laughing: It’s really up to you in terms of what you tell us. It’s for you to decide and for us to think about :sunglasses:

c. Gay female is not the high risk group in terms of HIV transmission, we rarely receive test request from gay female, to be honest. If the service is needed, we’d be glad to offer the test :bow:

d. Free test service is for gay male only.

[color=#0000FF]Does this mean that:
You will NOT collect any private data (such as ID card, passport, and/or telephone number etc.?)
Clients are allowed to enter the office with a face mask (to avoid security cameras etc.)?[/color]

a. If you feel better with a mask on, it’s perfectly fine. It doesn’t bother us at all :wink:

b. This is an ANONYMOUS test :bow:

[color=#0000FF]Um…couldn’t someone just CLAIM they are gay and get the free test, or is there some sort of ‘gay exam’ to determine one’s sexual preference to see whether or not they need to pay?[/color]

Don’t mean to be rude, but, gay exam? Thanks for the laugh, you really make my day :smiley:

It’s really up to you what you tell us, it’s for you to decide and for us to think about :slight_smile:

[color=#0000FF]That’s exactly what I was thinking. And who is administering the tests? You provide pictures of a barely furnished apartment and invite gays only. How do we know you are not just looking for a boyfriend or starting some kind of cult where you give a quick test, identify someone as HIV positive, sell them expensive drugs that destroy the immune system, then have the cult members recruit more…?

HIV tests are available at any hospital and most authorized medical clinics.[/color]

a. Thank you for your comment.

b. You’re absolutely right, HIV test are available at many places. It’s up to you. You decide.

c. We’re NGO, we do not SELL and/or PROVIDE ANY HIV/AIDS RELATED MEDICATION :bow:

lofaawork,

Can you recommend another place where heteros can get an anonymous rapid HIV test (maybe here is a Hetero Community Center :wink: )

How much is the fee for heteros to get the rapid HIV test in the Gay Community Center?

[color=#0000BF]Can you recommend another place where heteros can get an anonymous rapid HIV test (maybe here is a Hetero Community Center )

How much is the fee for heteros to get the rapid HIV test in the Gay Community Center?
[/color]

1. Not so many clinics offer ABBOTT Rapid test, you may have to call and check before you make a reservation. Please note that it’s very possible that you may have to present proper ID.

2. Basically, all [color=#FF0000]free & anonymous[/color] rapid test services are for gay male exclusively island wide.

3. HIV rapid test will cost NTD500/EA. Please note that there is still the limitation of window period.

4. This pay service is available 1:30pm - 9:30pm Tuesday through Saturday.

[quote=“lofaawork”][color=#0000BF]Can you recommend another place where heteros can get an anonymous rapid HIV test (maybe here is a Hetero Community Center )

[/color]

1. Not so many clinics offer ABBOTT Rapid test, you may have to call and check before you make a reservation. Please note that it’s very possible that you may have to present proper ID.

2. Basically, all [color=#FF0000]free & anonymous[/color] rapid test services are for gay male exclusively island wide.

[color=#FF0000]3. HIV rapid test will cost NTD500/EA. Please note that there is still the limitation of window period.

1. This pay service is available 1:30pm - 9:30pm Tuesday through Saturday.[/color][/quote]

[b]Thanks!

I think 500 is a VERY small fee to pay for a test that is fully anonymous!!

So, the update is:

Free and [color=#FF0000]Anonymous[/color] HIV rapid test (ABBOT) for gay men only: 1:30 pm - 9:00 pm every Tuesday [color=#000080]and[/color] Thursday
Paid and[color=#FF0000] Anonymous[/color] HIV rapid test (ABBOT) for hetero men and woman: 1:30pm - 9:30pm Tuesday [color=#000080]through[/color] Saturday.
[/b]

If any hetero men want a FREE anonymous test, then they can go to any of the three places listed here: forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.ph … 0#p1361669

[quote=“lofaawork”]Free and Anonymous [color=#FF0000]ABBOTT[/color] HIV rapid test - a special service for gay male
This service is provided by Gay Community Center Taipei http://zh-tw.facebook.com/pages/%E5%A4%A7%E5%8F%B0%E5%8C%97%E5%90%8C%E5%AD%B8%E6%9C%83/160160320764149?sk=wall&filter=12

[/quote]

[color=#008000][b]Moderator’s note:

I want this to be a resource thread with relevant information about the service offered.

Please use THIS thread ONLY for any updates and actual user feedback on this service.

Those of you who wish to continue the debates about the rights and wrongs of only offering free testing to gay men, please use the discussion thread I have created here: [url=http://tw.forumosa.com/t/discussion-from-free-anonymous-hiv-rapid-test-for-gay-male/71247/1 FROM: Free & Anonymous HIV rapid test for Gay male[/url]

[/b][/color]

This thread is useful: a service that offers more than HIV testing (NOT free): forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 0#p1426686