Friendly Bacteria-Acidophilus

Where can I buy Acidophilus in the Taipei area? I know about the store on Zhongshan N Rd in Taipei, but if anyone has a phone number for it I would also apprecaite it, are their other places that sell this?

It is a natural bacteria which inhabits the digestive tract and maintains a digestive tract balance.

I’ve seen Acidophilus milk at the Welcome store. I would try it if it had a better name.

Jeff -
A couple. 2, brands of the ‘yougurt drinks’ at 7/11 or local markets have quality standards for their drink that look to be good. These include strains of acidolphilus that are common to the local gut.

You might ask your store lao ban or local Amah which one is the best.

It may take a while to plant these in your gut if you’re coming from another country.

Intestional bacteria has its own local commonalities to each region. You may/may not have a short bit of bottom end reaction while you system accomodates the new strains.

I drink one of these a week to keep the local flora happy!
(more if I happen to indulge in hard liquor, which is rare)

TainanCowboy,

Thanks, I have lived in Taiwan for many years, but recently my body has given me very clear indications that I am short on this stuff. I know about the yogurt and have bought some and felt immediately better, though I would much rather have a capsule than drink a 1/2 litre of yogurt everyday. I may end up ordering it from back home as I know it will be cheaper. Thanks.

You may find them at the Watsons or Mosmed, which are chained drug stores in Taiwan. The products are called " 八益菌" or “優益菌” or “複合益生菌”, ect. Please consult to pharmacists at those stores. (wbtc.com.tw/market/index.asp)

:smiley:

sorry~ The store is called “COSMED”, not mosmed.

There is a GNC right north of the Taipower Building on Roosevelt Rd. Maybe they would have what you’re looking for?

HTH
Iris

sorry~ The store is called “COSMED”, not mosmed.[/quote]

MOSMED is the new health food line from MOs Burgers.

By the way, JeffG, what do you mean your body is giving you signs that you are low on the stuff? What kind of signs if they aren’t too unpleasant to mention.

GNC has Acidophilus Bacillus, but it’s pretty pricey at TWD2800 for a bottle. This (and pretty much any other vitamin/supplement) will sell for about 4X what it would cost elsewhere. Try the yogurt drinks (look for AB on the bottle) until you can get someone to bring you some from home.

[quote=“jlick”]GNC has Acidophilus Bacillus, but it’s pretty pricey at TWD2800 for a bottle. This (and pretty much any other vitamin/supplement) will sell for about 4X what it would cost elsewhere. Try the yogurt drinks (look for AB on the bottle) until you can get someone to bring you some from home.[/quote]There is another way…
Make your own “kefir” (thin yoghurt/fermented milk) using the sachets of dry culture you can buy in health food shops. A box of twenty sachets will cost you a couple of hundred NT but will make you twenty litres of yoghurt stuff. Tastes good as well – like decent unset unsweetened natural yoghurt.

The bacteria contained in the kefir sachets I have at the moment;
Stretococcus thermophilus
Lactobacillus bulgaricus
Lactobacillus acidophilus
Bifidibacteria

Only thing is that the cultures sold here are really suited for warmer weather, so if you want to make it now you’ll have to give your bottle of milk some warmth.

Thanks for all your replies. I have ordered what I need from the US and paid much much less for it and it has already arrived. Cost me $14.95 for 250 50mg capsules.

Mucha Man you asked what the signs are, well… let’s just say it’s a digestive/gastrointestinal problem, can’t get too specific, and after only four-five days of taking it I am starting to feel better already.

By the way, City Super supermarket in the bottom of the Far Eastern Mall has organic yoghurt from the states with live acidophilus. It’s thick and delicious.

I got a bottle of pro-biotics from Cosmed for about NT$1,000. It worked wonders…nice big firm turd the morning after taking just one capsule - and that wonderful “empty” feeling afterwards. It took an inch or so off my waist as well. :sunglasses: