Fundraising for Ma-ke and family

I have been trying to get information on the current status of Mark Selikoff. I know he is in Chang-Gen hospital and his mother/sister are here. Has he come out of the coma?

For fundraising comments please post here. To continue the discussion regarding Ma-ke’s condition, go to [url=http://forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?t=55073]this threadModerators Note: This is a spinoff of the original

I remember Mark when he had hair! He had an incredible body as well - like a hulk. With his size and looks he was a catch - and to see him walking with his tiny girlfriend was a trip. I also remember his sister working at the school at the same time - she left Taiwan, he didn’t. After his wife split he raised his daughter himself and I saw them together several times - at Metrowalk shopping mall and Subway (now Harvestime). Mark always does the talking, which is nice.

For any of you who use Side by Side books in teaching there’s a lesson where the people don’t see their famous friends often but when they do they love listening to all of their stories. That’s what it’s like with Mark.

Mark likely does not have insurance to pay for his hospital bills. Since he’s not rich, any suggestions?

The Taipei Times had a story today page 2. It said that TV star Jacky Wu, whose show Mark appeared on, has pledged to take care of Mark’s medical bills and his wife and kids. Nice gesture.

He WILL recover.

Today’s story in Taipei Times says: “Upon learning of Selikoff’s misfortune, local entertainer Jacky Wu pledged to do his best to aid Selikoff’s family and help with his medical expenses.” I do not read this as he’ll take care of all of Mark’s expenses. He’ll certainly try to organize a fund raiser but more help will be needed (from us) - stayed tuned!

Agreed…But it’s still good news as Mark’s bills are going to be extensive. No doubt more help will be needed.

MJB,

Please DO NOT hesitate to let us know if money becomes an issue. We can set up a fundraiser here in Kaohsiung anytime. By all means.

I’d like to also echo HG’s words. Get some rest everyone, and stay positive.

In general, fund raisers on a small scale are going to help but won’t do the trick. More awareness nationally is required. We’re planning to pass out fliers at the upcoming “Depose” President Chen rally in Chung-Li. We’re going to get volunteers to do that. I’m waiting now for the bank account information and can e-mail you the flier after it has been finished (first English and then Chinese). Please let me know your personal e-mail address so that I can pass these on.

Thanks for your willingness to help!

The obvious path is to get the big boys like Jacky Wu and co aboard as early as possible.

HG

Please give my Jacky Wu’s contact information (if you can).

I suggest you co-ordinate this carefully, as the last thing you want is severaal small fund raisers going off at the same time or people will become distrustful.

You guys close to the epicentre know who you are and who Ma Ke’s contacts are in the TV industry, use them.

HG

[quote=“vmcguire”]In general, fund raisers on a small scale are going to help but won’t do the trick. More awareness nationally is required. We’re planning to pass out fliers at the upcoming “Depose” President Chen rally in Chung-Li (Zhongli). We’re going to get volunteers to do that. I’m waiting now for the bank account information and can e-mail you the flier after it has been finished (first English and then Chinese). Please let me know your personal e-mail address so that I can pass these on.

Thanks for your willingness to help![/quote]
Just wondering…what is your relationship to Mark? Do you have the support of those close to him to do this?

I would be happy to donate some money via someone I know and trust, such as MJB. There could be one fund, but I see no reason why you can’t start a Forumosa fundraiser to raise cash for the main fund.

I don’t know the guy, but I think it’s important to help out.

MJB, are you up to this, or can you recommend someone else?

Truant, I was wondering the same thing about vmc. MaKe’s bills are already high so I am sure his family would really appreciate the help. Thanks all out there who are concerned and want to help.

Well, I don’t want to jump to any conclusions myself, but in times like these everyone gets really passionate about ways to help, and often well meant gestures can disturb the family and friends who are closest.
Media attention can be absolutely traumatic, and I regard this site as a form of that. Associating with political marches etc to raise funds might be something that works against the cause, I’m not sure. I am sure financial support is very important, but at this time the family may be needing support in other ways such as privacy and unwanted attention to allow them to offer Mark as much support as they feel appropriate, and of course themselves.

I am all for supporting where it’s need & wanted, I just hope the family’s wishes are being adhered to at this time.

I understand that Mark is making progress. He seems to be responding to questioning (with hand movements anyway). Here is the letter I have put together:

10/2/06

By now I am sure many of you know that Mark Selikoff has been seriously hurt in a motorcycle accident. There has been limited coverage in Chinese newspapers and minimal TV coverage. The Taipei Times covered his accident for the first time in today’s paper.

Mark is in stable but critical condition and still in a coma. He is in Chang-Geng Hospital. For continued updates you can go to:

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.ph … 80&start=0

Although famous, Mark is far from financially able to pay off the mounting hospital bills and he needs both prayers and money - donations can be transferred to his son’s account:

Bank code: 803
Account #: 060500125678

For more information or to verify the account number, please call Jay at edited or his wife, Janice edited.

It’s time for action.

Vince

[quote=“vmcguire”]donations can be transferred to his son’s account:

Bank code: 803
Account #: 060500125678[/quote]

One nagging question: by revealing the account number, wouldn’t thieves be able to use this info to steal money?

[quote=“vmcguire”]In general, fund raisers on a small scale are going to help but won’t do the trick. More awareness nationally is required. We’re planning to pass out fliers at the upcoming “Depose” President Chen rally in Chung-Li (Zhongli). We’re going to get volunteers to do that. I’m waiting now for the bank account information and can e-mail you the flier after it has been finished (first English and then Chinese). Please let me know your personal e-mail address so that I can pass these on.

Thanks for your willingness to help![/quote]

PLEASE DO NOT DO THIS!!!

The last thing Mark needs right now is for this case to become political in any way shape or form…The last thing we need is to insinuate that Mark is affiliated with any political party nor do we want to alienate an entire spectrum of potential help.

I don’t think so. I think they can only transfer money into the account, just as when you provide an editing or translation client your ATM (account) number.

I don’t want to be a sceptic in all of this, but I have to say something.

Posting Mark’s wife’s phone number seems bloody irresponsible to me. The media read this site. You have just given it to the world. Edit: My bad, I misread that info.

As for the account number, well once again, this seems irresponsible if it is genuine. If you must insist on this method, how about it is set up thru someone else who is well known thru the site, and not just a few posts, who now suddenly has an account for people to donate to.

Once again, I don’t want to sound sceptical, but why the sudden rush to turn this into a media frenzy?

No, the numbers above don’t belong to Ma ke’s wife. They belong to Jay and his wife.