Game of Thrones with Mandarin Subtitles

Looking for Game of Thrones (preferably with Mandarin subtitles)

Can be a torrent or streaming. Anyone know of a Taiwanese or Chinese streaming site that has Game of Thrones?

The alternative would be to somehow get HBO streaming to work here in Taiwan. I have Netflix and Hulu…But HBO seems to require an account with a cable TV provider in the USA. Anyone know a workaround for that?

I’m not sure how much I can say without violating Forumosa policy, but I’ve found this website useful for getting Mandarin subtitles:
sub.eastgame.org

The subtitles are absolutely shite. I watched the DVDs with the subtitles on with my brother-in-law (Taiwanese). At first I was wondering why he wasn’t laughing in the same places I was (this became more notable around the banter between Tyrion and Bronn), so I used the rewind feature and payed more attention to the subtitles, and discovered that a lot of the dirty jokes, swearing, and darker elements of humour had been either left out or watered down. Again, this was the DVD version, so it showed all the gore, and about 98% of the nudity (blurring the lower parts only). It’s a bit of a shame, as a lot of the best lines have been made lame. It could be a lot worse though. On the mainland they’ve cut around 10 mins from each episode, turning it into some kind of medieval drama.

1.) Bittorrent from your usual site.
2.) Go here (sub.makedie.me) and search for whatever TV episode or movie. Download the appropriate .srt files (most are simplified Chinese, but there are some releases which include traditional Chinese as well), rename the file so that it has the exact same name as the video file (i.e. Game of Thrones.s05e07.mkv and Game of Thrones.s05e07.srt), and enjoy. If the subtitles come up as weird non-Roman characters, you need to fiddle with the language encoding in the subtitle settings of your video player.

These are all fan-made translations and they’re very accurate. Usually, Game of Throne episodes are be translated by Monday night.

Spotify now finds a Game of Throne character that matches your your musical preference…

spotify-gameofthrones.com/mymatch

I’m told I’m Margaery Tyrell… not sure how I feel about that, but at least Margaery has good taste in music.

Margaery’s list
open.spotify.com/user/gameofthr … w7TpqEQH7F

Soul 42%, Mellow Pop 35%, Blues 23%

[quote=“Quarters”]Looking for Game of Thrones (preferably with Mandarin subtitles)

Can be a torrent or streaming. Anyone know of a Taiwanese or Chinese streaming site that has Game of Thrones?

The alternative would be to somehow get HBO streaming to work here in Taiwan. I have Netflix and Hulu…But HBO seems to require an account with a cable TV provider in the USA. Anyone know a workaround for that?[/quote]

Can watch it directly on HBO if that helps. http://hboasia.com/HBO/en-tw/shows/game-of-thrones/season6/episode8/#show_content_start

Thanks for bumping this. There were some issues getting HBO in TW, but maybe they’ve been solved. We just hire it season by season from the DVD store…

You can? I looked around on the link above but couldn’t find a way to make it work.

I think you have to join. I watched the trailer, but the streaming quality wasn’t so good. Maybe once you sign up you get better quality.

Does just being a subscriber to HBO, through cable here, let you do that? (I don’t have cable.) There’s the HBO Go service, which I’d like to sign up to for a few months, but that seems to only be available in Hong Kong and the Philippines. Online streaming services are slowly improving, but (a) it’s going to cost a heck of a lot to subscribe to them a la carte, and (b) in Taiwan, most of them either aren’t available (HBO Go) or suck (Netflix, iTunes store).

I’m not sure what censorship of Game of Thrones is like these days - we still get the HBO feed from Singapore, right? I’m curious about the most “extreme” recent moments that could have been censored out (put in spoiler tags if you haven’t yet watched Season 6 Episode 8):

[spoiler]- The Mountain killing a Sparrow with a slightly hard-to-make out spinal cord attached as the head was ripped off.

• Lots of breasts with Yara and Theon in a brothel last week, with Yara kissing a breast in a way that wasn’t in the least gratuitous.
  • The Hound chopping off a head with a minor blood geyser.
  • The Hound’s last victim in that scene saying “Fuck you” and “Cunt”.
  • Dany emerging from the burning tent, totally unclothed (that’s quite a few episodes back).[/spoiler]
    So viewers on Taiwanese HBO, did you see/hear these? If so, I guess HBO Singapore probably isn’t censoring. But if they are censoring, I assume the only legitimate way to watch the complete uncensored show here is to wait for the DVDs to be released, usually in January or February of the following year.

You can? I looked around on the link above but couldn’t find a way to make it work.[/quote]

I meant on the TV, you can just watch it as it’s broadcast.

You can? I looked around on the link above but couldn’t find a way to make it work.[/quote]
I meant on the TV, you can just watch it as it’s broadcast.[/quote]
Ah, OK! Got it.

If you got digital cable, in HBO Signature they replay the week’s episode on high rotation, daily. Along with the feature After the Thrones, which is most enjoyable as it explains many plot nuances and character details.

I’m not sure about the cable rules, LIA. In our last thread it seemed like such a hassle that I thought I’d wait for the DVDs. There are also the audiobooks, with Roy Dotrice, that give a whole nother experience.

I just did the “Which Game of Thrones character are you” test again. I did it 4-5 months ago, got one result. Did it again, being as honest as I could, giving answers that I thought were different, and I still got Khal Drogo. Strange, since I don’t like horses.

zimbio.com/quiz/hpbWxCCmzMR/ … +Character