Gay Marriage in the USA

[color=#008000]Moderator’s note : Split from Gay Marriage Part 2 (4/2012- 11/2013)[/color]

As of December 6, 2012, Washington State has formally joined the ranks of those states valuing equal rights for all.

Link

By January 1, 2013, Maine and Maryland will have joined the ever-growing Freedom Club!

Greater freedom and equality have just arrived in Minnesota and Rhode Island, as same-sex marriage officially becomes legal in those two states!

Congratulations, and welcome to the ever-growing Freedom Club (which California rejoined a month ago)!! That makes 13 states (plus Washington DC): over a quarter of the US states! Marriage inequality is slowly but surely going the way of the dodo!

Add New Jersey to the list

nytimes.com/2013/09/28/nyreg … .html?_r=0

[quote=“Tempo Gain”]Add New Jersey to the list

nytimes.com/2013/09/28/nyreg … .html?_r=0[/quote]
Not yet: the governor, a known homophobe, will almost certainly appeal to the state’s supreme court.

True, getting there though.

Sorry if this has been posted previously, but, I’m not going to search the entire thread/forum… Was just looking at permanent residency for spouses and saw this, and thought some may be interested:

[quote=“Chris”][quote=“Tempo Gain”]Add New Jersey to the list

nytimes.com/2013/09/28/nyreg … .html?_r=0[/quote]
Not yet: the governor, a known homophobe, will almost certainly appeal to the state’s supreme court.[/quote]
Chris things may seem bad in the States now but things have moved on considerably for the Gay community. I am posting this to show people just how ridiculous things were in the past.
Can you believe this ? :astonished:

A shocking video indeed. You can see the fallacious links they’re trying to make between homosexuality and pedophilia, links that are still embedded in the minds of some people to this day.

Yeah, the advances have been amazing. Just consider Vermont’s passage of the first Civil Union law in 1999, then the first state to recognize gay marriage in 2003, and now, a decade later, 1/4 of the US states have legal gay marriage.

Don’t Ask Don’t Tell was seen as a step in the right direction back in 1992, in that it actually allowed gays to serve… just as long as they kept quiet about it. Unfortunately, the law was much abused, because outed service personnel were being kicked out. Now, 20 years later, DADT is dead and gays are serving openly in the military.

The misnamed “Defense of Marriage Act”, a step backwards signed by Clinton (one of a number of things I criticized him for) is now history, opening up more equality on the federal level, as can be seen in Tigerman’s post above (Thanks, TM).

More and more laws are on the local books preventing gays from being discriminated against in the workplace and in housing.

I’m very happy with the amazing progress, but the battle is far from over.

New Jersey now the 14th state to legalize gay marriage!!!

Gov. Chris Christie, despite all his anti-gay posturing, has apparently had a change of heart. He dropped all efforts to challenge the law. A political tactic? Perhaps looking at the presidential elections? If so, it says a LOT about they way the country is going with regard to social issues. It also spells trouble for the Wreligious Wrong.

That is great news. More great news is that Oregon will recognize same sex marriages from other states, and I am pretty sure gay marriage is right around the corner there as well. Anything that puts bees in the bonnets of the white trash bible-thumping dipsh**s in Oregon is great in my book.

It looks like he has his eye on that ball. He may be making an astute political gamble.

reuters.com/article/2013/10/ … BA20131021

For sure, no politician is happy sailing against winds like that. I don’t know his history of opposition to gay marriage and if this represents a potentially damaging volte-face for him, but accepting it would seem to be a favorable decision even if he wants to be re-elected as governor–remember NJ is basically a Democratic state.

If we accept that he has Presidential aspirations as seems pretty clear, he seems to be positioning himself as the Centrist choice for Republicans. That could be a harder path to the nomination than without the RR support–but not impossible, for example Romney wasn’t their guy–but give a stronger chance of taking the big prize if he can get in the game. FWIW he’s infinitely more of a “man of the people” type than Romney and won’t carry his infinitely damaging Joe Rich baggage. His Obama hugging aside, the Tea Party should get along with him, and they don’t seem too hyper on social issues.

The Teabaggers, who are pretty much now the same people as the Religious Right - the Insane 21% - will vote for anything with an R after it, even if it’s Satan himself, horns, pitchfork and all. That’s how stupid they are.

Hi everyone!

Due to your interest in marriage equality in the USA, I wanted to let you know about a project you might be interested in supporting: a short film I’m producing titled Wedlocked. Due to the ridiculous laws governing gay marriage, we’ve turned our film into a hilarious farce to draw attention to the topic in a new way!

Wedlocked takes on the ridiculous laws governing gay divorce. It brings to light the topic of state residency requirements interfering with a same-sex couple’s ability to get a divorce.

The script is by Guinevere Turner (writer of the screenplay adaptation of American Psycho as well as several episodes of “The L Word”).

We were featured as IndieWire’s Project of the Day on April 6th and WON Project of the Week! We recently did an interview for AfterEllen.com, have been on LA Talk Radio and were featured in the Women and Hollywood blog and in Bright Ideas Magazine.

You can check out more about the project here:
seedandspark.com/studio/wedlocked
and our social media:
@wedlocked_movie

I hope you are as passionate about this subject matter as we are!

Thank you!

Cheers,
Ally