George Takei on his childhood internment camp experience

if the forum allows freedom of speech like the constitution, it would be a mess. Can’t wait for the westboro baptism church people to come justy god hates fags

It would be amusing to see you debate them.

If people had good manners, it wouldn’t be a mess at all. I guess I’m asking for too much though.

I don’t know how someone could listen to George Takei tell his story and then arrive at a pro-internment position. Remember folks, this was a matter of forcibly relocating and incarerating citizens based on their racial/ethnic background ONLY. I believe some of you may be familiar with other historical examples of governments doing stuff like this. I trust the educated among you can figure this out. And if this has not been part of your education so far, use it as a chance to learn.

Peace to all,

Guy

3 Likes

I haven’t done so since your first post about my redline being the same as Obama’s.

If Guy InTaiwan’s position is simply against analyzing history with the morality of today, I don’t necessarily agree, but I’m not going to delete his posts. However, if his position is that internment of citizens based on ethnicity without due process is ok in times of war, therefore Japanese American families shouldn’t complain and the government shouldn’t have apologized, then I consider that a violation of forum rules.

Bigotry
2.01. Bigotry defined.Do not post hateful, racist, sexist, homophobic, ethnic, or anti-religious (including anti-agnostic and anti-atheistic) bigotry.

Inter arma enim silent leges is just the unfortunate reality throughout most of human history, not justification of wrong-doings during war time.

Thanks for the clarification. I don’t think any of his posts can be classified as bigotry, but I tend to err on the side of free speech.

Ghost of Pierre: (chuckles quietly)

I don’t actually hate the Japanese though. I don’t even hate the Japanese who were involved in fighting the West or who treated POWs really badly at the time. I am not engaging in grievance politics here.

Why do SJWs always have to make everything about “muh feelz”? This reason alone might explain why America can have the biggest, most powerful military in the world and yet has to slink away from conflicts with minor nations or ragtag forces of rebels with its tail between its legs; if it really does get to a shooting match with Russia or China (even smaller countries), America’s opponent is going to wipe the floor with it because of a nation full of special snowflakes.

You do realize the issue that George Takei is talking about concerns American citizens, right? They had nothing whatsoever to do with “fighting the West” or “treat[ing] POWs really badly.” Honestly I wonder why you are continually posting in this forum without understanding this basic distinction.

The reference above to the ghost of Pierre Trudeau is interesting too. With his direct involvement in in the FLQ crisis (invoking the War Measures Act in Canada to crack down on separatists in Quebec), he remained throughout his life unwilling or unable to acknowledge the Canadian state’s wrongdoing in the 1940s when it acted even more harshly than the US government. Not only did the Canadian state forcibly relocate and incarcerate Japanese Canadians who were living on the west coast; the Canadian government also liquidated their properties (this was not allowed in the US) and used the funds to help finance the incarceration. Japanese Canadians were not allowed to move back to the west coast (where their homes were already sold to others) until 1949–four years after the war was over. The government records that became accessible after the 30 year limits (i.e. in the late 1970s) clearly showed that Japanese Canadians were no threat to Canadian security. The RCMP advised against all the drastic actions the Canadian state undertook. These government documents became the basis of the case for a negotiated redress settlement between the National Association of Japanese Canadians and the Mulroney government in 1988–a landmark moment in Canadian history.

Guy

4 Likes

You seem to have missed Dr_Milker’s comment above.

It’s a touching story. The bit about the Japanese-American soldiers climbing the cliff side and falling silently seems to have been copied by a scene in the game of thrones when they storm the wall.

I didn’t know why posting a TED talk on George Taikei’s childhood internment camp experience would cause such a raucous, but now I know…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJAucA3LTqw