Getting a mailbox at the post office

Thinking about getting a mailbox so I can have my mail in the States sent to me instead of having the mailman be constantly confused about romanization and chnging addresses. I heard it’s like NT$300 a year? Is it hard for foreign nationals to get a mailbox? For locals, it’s 2 pieces of ID and since I don’t have my NHI card yet, can I just show them my ARC and passport?

Are they going to have a problem with names? I’ve noticed that places like banks enter my name in Chinese (as printed on ARC) instead of English in their system. Would they have difficulties figuring out if the recipient is not the same name as what is listed?

Also can I get a box anywhere I want? I wanted to get a box near the MRT station so I can just get my mail on the way home.

[quote=“catfish13”]1. I heard it’s like NT$300 a year?

1. Is it hard for foreign nationals to get a mailbox?

2. For locals, it’s 2 pieces of ID and since I don’t have my NHI card yet, can I just show them my ARC and passport?

3. Are they going to have a problem with names?.. Would they have difficulties figuring out if the recipient is not the same name as what is listed?

4. Also can I get a box anywhere I want?[/quote]

5. Yes, $300 per year, or at least that’s what I just paid to renew mine. There may also be some kind of deposit, but it’s not that high: few hundred range. And actually, that $300 may be for more than one year.

6. Easy. If I could figure it out when I’d only been here a few months, it must have been easy. Mind you, that was so long ago I don’t actually remember what was involved.

7. Yes, ARC and passport should work.

8. Names: they basically ignore the names and just care about the box number. I still get mail for the box’s previous owner.

9. Yes, anywhere you want. At one point I had three in different post offices (not that I particularly recommend that). One issue you may have: I’ve heard that some post offices don’t actually have any available boxes.

And I do recommend getting one. A LOT of my personal mail went astray, or arrived weeks late, when I was getting it sent directly to my home. The post office box works much better if you’re getting mail that’s not addressed in Chinese.

1 Like

Absolutely agree with lost in Asia. Just one thing: you might have to check several post offices in your area, as some places “sell out” faster. But there is always a waiting list, just sign up, and yes, they really call you when there is an opening. I waited several months for a box in the location I wanted but it was worth it. It is better for mailing lists, receiving magazines, etc.

Application for Leasing Exclusive Postal Mail Box

Application Process:
(1) Fill in one copy of the application form for leasing exclusive postal mail box, pick up two copies of chop slip for registered mail item and one copy of registration card of exclusive postal mail box in Chinese or English.
(2) Issue the receipt of deposit money and rental money.
(3) Offer a postal mail box number and a key for the box.

Required Time:
15 minutes

Required Certificates:
(1)Companies、business firm and other groups should submit one original and one copy of approval for establishing or registration certificate issued by responsible institution. (Original to be returned after verification.)
(2) For personal applications: ID card should be returned after verification on the spot.

post.gov.tw/post/internet/j_ … elines.doc

Yea but a lot of mail order sites won’t send to PO boxes… what do I do about that?