Getting an international driver's license in taiwan

Try your local DMV, they should do them.

Assuming you have a local Taiwan license, getting the international driver’s license is easy. Just go to the local DMV and they’ll issue it on the spot. You’ll need 2~3 I.D. style pictures of yourself (2", I think), along with your local driver’s license, and around NT$200 as I remember. It also may be a good idea to take along your passport/ARC just in case.

Did you ever get a Taiwan DL? If so, just hop on down to the licensing office in Bade and go to the third floor. I believe you need one/two pictures as well, and about $300 NT. It’ll expire when your ARC does.

Only problem I’m going to have is that my Taiwan license is expiring. Hence the need for me to leave the country and make a Visa run. But maybe if I explain it to them they’ll still give me one.

If the local license attached to your international license is expired, the whole thing is invalid. You won’t have any insurance either if you borrow the bike, so be careful.

Hi all,

Just a question about a co-worker of mine…

Let’s say she applies for an International Driver’s Permit (via mail from CAA in Canada) after being here for two months already…will she be able to drive with that permit for the period of 30 days, and then get it extended at the DMV for the remainder of her ARC (up to 1 year I believe)…or must she get it stamped first before she able to drive?

Basically, do they count the 30 days from when you arrive or when your IDP was issued?

Many thanks!

ASFAIK, it’s based on the date of issuance of the permit in home country, 1 year from that date. You need to get it stamped to be recognised in Taiwan but the local permit will work from your home country issuance date.

I had the same case. She needs to get her IDP stamped first before she can drive.

Would anyone happen to know any information about the IDL and renewal?

My International Driver’s license is about to expire (my first year to use it) and was wondering if I apply for another one back at home, would I be able to go into the DMV and renew it for another year? Or would I have to take the test here in Taiwan?

Many thanks in advance!

Should be fine as long as you have a valid arc. I have done this for the past 12 years. Haven’t this past year though so it is possible rules have changed.

You have to have actually been back home, though, or at least out of the country.

I didn’t leave Taiwan this summer, and was told they’d only renew my IDL endorsement for the lesser of my IDL currency (no problem, since I’d renewed it by post) or one year minus the time since last entry.

if i were you ill get the Taiwan license… its easy to pass the test, cheap and you can get the Taiwan IDL for even cheaper… for your trips abroad Taiwan… the IDL from your country needs to be renewed as you think and that will cost time and money… take the chance and get it done in Taiwan…

Opinions and experience vary.

Personally I found it to be a pointless pain in the arse, and failed it twice before giving up on the DIY approach.

If I’m forced to get one, next time around I’ll probably just pay the institutionalised bribe (about 8k a few years ago IIRC) to a driving school, as most Taiwanese do.

I’m probably going out of the country this CNY though, so I may be able to renew my IDL endorsement on re-entry.

I’m British and I always renew mine by post direct from the RAC. Download the form, print it, send it off with your credit card number and just put a note in saying you want them to send it to Taiwan rather than the address on your driving licence. I think that’s the easiest way of you’re British. If not, ignore.

Actually it was not an opinion, it was based on facts… i did it myself bcz the IDL was costing me a lot, and carrying that big booklet is a pain in the ass… i did a few practice tests online and went one day and got over the issue… now i have scooter and car’s driver license… and it cost me around 500Nt each…

It’s an opinion that the driving test is easy to pass. Lots of people fail it even those with years of driving experience.

Fact - it’s easier to pass in Taipei than outside Taipei. It differs in different counties.
You don’t just pass the test by writing either, you need to practice on a driving course for the driving tests, which involves parking in a certain manner and reversing backwards around an S bend!

I’m British too, and that’s what I do too, but, just in case its important to anyone else, I’d better repeat that the Tainan DMV would only endorse it for whichever was the shortest of :

(a) its remaining currency,
(b) the remaining currency of my ARC, or
(c) a year minus the time since last entry to Taiwan.

It was the last one that screwed me this time, since I havn’t left Taiwan for over a year

I’m certain this has been answered before but I can’t find it.

I have an international driver’s permit but Taiwan, not being a part of the world that every other country is in, doesn’t recognize this past the first month of stay. I’ve read that you can get it stamped (somewhere) for extended use, but what I’m not clear on is:

Do you have to get it stamped within that first month of stay, or can you get it retroactively stamped?

Alternatively, I’m willing to test for a Taiwanese license, but I was told today that you need an ARC valid for 1 year from the date of application. That doesn’t make sense to me since every ARC I’ve ever had has only been valid for a year total. In other words, I would have to take to the driver’s test the very day I received my ARC or else it would not be valid for a year. That can’t be the case, right?

You can get it stamped anytime but it’s only valid to the expiry date on the Arc or the ifl, whichever comes first.