Getting an international driver's license in taiwan

Thanks! I assume that’s at the DMV, then. Do I need anything other than driver’s license from home, ARC, IDL, and passport?

Sorry to ask like this, but I can’t find reliable information in English and didn’t put too much effort into a Chinese search since any search for international license is just results for Taiwanese people bringing theirs abroad.

Thanks! I assume that’s at the DMV, then. Do I need anything other than driver’s license from home, ARC, IDL, and passport?

Sorry to ask like this, but I can’t find reliable information in English and didn’t put too much effort into a Chinese search since any search for international license is just results for Taiwanese people bringing theirs abroad.[/quote]

IDP, passport or ARC (bring both in case), drivers license and passport photo. At motor vehicle office. Usually done right on the spot in a few minutes.

Thanks again! Now, if only I can work up the courage to drive in this country…

Yes IDP, ARC, Passport and a valid license is what I had to show. I used my California license and had no problems was out of there in 3 minutes.

for what its worth: $8000 with car, $6000 with motorcycle if found without that paper :wink:

As an American with a valid US drivers license, a Taiwan scooter license, and a ARC…is it possible to get a Permit in order to drive abroad, in Japan? Also, I live here in Taiwan.

This thread may answer your question

AAA travel offers Idp from the US and mails it internationally. Go to www.aaa.com and search for Idp. I’m not sure how you pay them though. Maybe a check on a US bank or cash?

If you have a Taiwan drivers license for a car, you need to get it translated to Japanese for use in Japan.

There is no place or service in Taiwan to go and get an international driving permit for a US licence.

Services are available for people with Taiwan licence but maybe you can mail off or something.

What is the process of getting an international driving licence with a Taiwan licence?

Bumping this because I didn’t see the answer above (maybe I missed it?).

I have a Taiwan scooter license, and a U.S. car driver’s license + US IDL. The IDL doesn’t cover scooters.

I plan to rent a scooter while in Indonesia, and an Int’l scooter DL is required (if you don’t want hassle from the police and grief if there’s an accident). My question: Can I get some kind of scooter IDL on my Taiwan license? Has anyone ever done this and what is the process? I will go to the DMV myself sometime in the future, but thought I’d ask here first.

I dont think there is any such thing as international scooter licence.

The IDP is a standardised document, so basically what you would want is a stamp in box A, which is motorcycles up to 400kg.

I have a IDP from HK, and I got both A and B stamped(i.e. car and motorcycle). When I converted my HK license to a local one, I received automatically a car and scooter/small motorcycle licence.

I asked them if I can get the IDP from them(my old one is quite worn out) they said the one I got from HK is better, I did not follow up on why that is but I suspect because they would not stamp box A

My wife got a IDP from Taiwan, but she can only get B stamped(car) even though she has a Taiwanese scooter licence(or the one up to is it 250cc).

I think you need to have a heavy motorcycle(red plate) licence in Taiwan for them to stamp box A, but I might be wrong.

If this is the case then that sucks. The US IDL specifically doesn’t include scooters, only cars. At least for me because my US license class is only for cars. I couldn’t use this in Japan when renting a scooter, but I could use my Taiwan scooter license plus the official Japanese translation from Taiwan’s DMV.

The info I read about Bali says that the IDL must specifically cover scooters, not cars only. Maybe I’m worrying too much. Who knows.

I’m here on a 90-day tourist visa and I have a US IDL with both a Motorcycle and Car license stamped on it. I’ve read from a few places that a IDL is only valid for the first 30 days here in Taiwan, and then needs to be taken to the local DMV to get stamped to be valid? And then it’s valid for up to a year? (Or is that only if you have an ARC and the year does not apply to people on a tourist visa?)

Thanks much!

iirc, it is valid while you can stay here legallly, i.e. till the expiration date of your ARC, or your allowed stay by visa or visa exemption entry.

Thank you!

Taiwan IDP only has a designation for big bikes, not scooters. Unless there is a separate document available.

1 Like

As far as I am aware the IDP format is the same internationally, so all only have the five categories from A to E. Mine is not from Taiwan but is identical to the above.

The idp is same everywhere, and as I explained previously Taiwan won’t chop box A unless you got big bike licence.

Can I drive a big bike with a IDP that is chopped in box A in Taiwan?

When I converted my licence to TW licence I did not get big bike licence, but my IDP says up to 400kg bikes. So, can I just use the IDP when driving a red plate ?

My Taiwanese idl is chopped in box a, and i just have a normal scooter (white plate) license. Maybe it depends on who you ask? That’s unusual for Taiwan…/s