Getting involved in Taipei LGBT Groups

I’m a student at NTU, and I was hoping to join some kind of university LGBT society, but looking at the list there doesn’t seem to be one. So, i’m opening my umbrella! What are the main LGBT groups in Taipei/Taiwan? Is it easy to volunteer to help with events, or even just go to events? My Mandarin is intermediate level so conversation wouldn’t be too tough. I was treasurer and Social Sec of my LBGT sox at uni, and also have worked on a number of professional LGBT events in a major bank, and I’d like to continue this

These two were taken from the Utopia page ( which is referenced in the Gay/Lesbian/Transgender Taiwan resources post: forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtop … 3&t=105468 )

[quote]Taiwan Tongzhi Hotline Association
12/F #70 Roosevelt Rd, Sec 2 (near Guting MRT), 2392-1969, email. Founded in 1998, TTHA became the first nationally registered LGBT association in the country. They are located in a large, prime location, with offices and facilities for hosting meetings of various LGBT groups. Their private hotlines are open Thu-Mon, from 7pm-10pm, with three full-time workers and 40 volunteers to answer calls. They have an education committee than manages programs in schools, and also programs aimed at AIDS/HIV prevention. TTHA has also formed alliances with other tongzhi groups and participates in gay rights demonstrations. Their mission remains the eradication of prejudice against queer people and full civil rights for sexual marginals.

Sex/Gender Rights Association Taiwan ( gsrat.net/en/aboutus.php )
8251-0105. A coalition of lesbians and gays, transgendered persons, multi-sexuals, sexual dissidents, gender/sexual rights activists, AIDS activists, human rights activists, students, lawyers, teachers working for gender issues and sexual rights. Their goal is to dismantle the discrimination and oppression of gender and sexual minorities in the social institutions of the family, the education system, politics, the economy and the law.[/quote]

The two orgs mentioned above are the two main LGBT orgs in Taipei and are the most active. If you’re really interested, I would recommend going to their events and slowly start getting to know the members. Then offer your time and skills and see what they need. I’ve gotten to know many of the main organizers just from going to their events and protests and they’re all really great people. Good luck!

1 Like