Getting married and applying for JFRV

That sounds a lot easier, but I’m wondering if that is official way of doing it now or if you got one of those “right person, right day, wind blowing north under a Venus moon” TW things.

I’ll try it out anyway. MOFA would take 3 days to authenticate PCC. How long did notarizing it at the court take? I’m also wondering if there procedure is different from single status. The single status had to be notarized by a lawyer and then authenticated by MOFA too.[/quote]

The notary at the court took an hour or less. We went to the notary first, and then straight to NIA after.

The local criminal check was 3 days for me as well.

I was completely paranoid about the procedure since I hear it goes differently for each person, so I called NIA 3 times or so before I went, asking what I needed. They basically told me the same thing each time, although one guy wasn’t really on top of things and kept leaving things out. When I asked him if I needed something though, he would say, “Oh yeah, you need that too.” So if you’re really worried about MOFA, just call NIA a couple times and ask them if you need to go. I never got wrong information when I called them, just information they forgot to tell me about.

HI, I have read some of the thread, and was hoping someone could just clarify some things for me.
I am a South African who is married to an Argentine. we will soon be coming into Taiwan upon which I will have an ARC/health insurance through work. I have heard that she and my son will get ARC and Health insurance through me… Is this correct?
Also, Which documents are needed? We have our marriage certificate and his birth certificate legalized and translated into English so far.

I would appreciate any help, or clarity, since I have heard various stories, and want to see if there is someone who has already had to do this.
have a great day.

[quote=“twonavels”][quote=“gusbologna2000”]I just went to Immigration yesterday and was successful in getting my new ARC. It takes them a week to process.

If you already have a resident visa through work, then you don’t need to go to MOFA. You can go directly to Immigration.
However, they told me your work ARC needs to have at least a month on it before it expires for you to apply.
They asked me for:

1. ARC and passport (they take a copy and look at the original)
  2. Health Check
  3. US Criminal Record (needs to be translated into Chinese and notarized)
  4. Local Criminal Record
  5. Household Registration
  6. Lease (they take a copy and look at the original)
    (I’m assuming you only need this if you don’t live at the address that’s on your household registration)
  7. Spouse and Spouse’s ID
  8. Application form with a photo

They were a little concerned with my photo; I gave them the normal ‘Taiwanese’ size, which seemed to be too small for their application form. They measured it next to their demo photo, then just seemed to let it go. Guess I got lucky. They have the measurements on the application form if you want to get the exact size though.

Good luck![/quote]

Everything went down exactly like gusbologna said, including the problem with the photo size. I happened to have a bigger photo on me though, as it was the same size as the one needed to get your US visitors visa. I was in and out of there in about 15 minutes!
Yeah! Thanks for all the help, everybody!
I can’t believe how stressed I was, and then the whole Immigration step was so easy![/quote]
This is where I ran into problem, they told me they need two to three months and that I need to extend my ARC first and then when my student ARC is extented I can apply for the JFRC, alternatively leave the country and apply for a visitors visa and then apply for the JFRC…
So now I’m studying an extra three months… Is it normal for a country to kick you out WHILE you are applying for a Resident Certificate??? I’m not uppset, just a bit anoyed.

Hi all,

I’m a U.S. citizen in Taiwan on a 60-day multiple-entry visitor visa, planning to get married to my partner, who is a Taiwan (ROC) citizen with household registration.

I’ve read this whole thread, and just want to see if anyone can verify for me what I’m likely to need (updated info is especially helpful). Here’s what I’ve got:

Register marriage at Household Registration Bureau
Need:
-Single status affidavit from AIT, authenticated by MOFA
-My passport, her national ID, and copies of them
-Signed marriage agreement w/ witness signatures (but no witnesses accompanying us)

-Apply for JFRV at MOFA
Need:
-Passport (and copies of front and visa page)
-Application Form
-2 photos
-Marriage certificate
-Household registration (戶籍謄本) and copy
-Local police clearance from my hometown in the U.S., authenticated by TECO (plus a copy)
-Health certificate (and copy)
-Rental agreement and copy
-Possibly spouse’s National ID?
-Possibly a recognition of marriage affidavit from AIT?

Get ARC/reentry permit from NIA
Need:
-Passport (and copies of front and visa page)
-household registration (戶籍謄本)
-Photo
-Spouse, with ID

Does that sound like everything? Does anyone know of anything that’s changed?

Thanks so much!

I am a US citizen living in Taiwan, married in Taiwan, but currently in Hong Kong on business for a month or so. During the past month or so I have gathered all the required docs for the JFRV and my wife landed here yesterday so we could file locally for the visa so I don’t have to pay for a visitor visa on top of the other. However, today when we went to the Taiwan economic office in HK today they rejected stating I need a decleration of marriage from AIT. What is this? I have already registered our marriage with our local household registry in Taiwan using the Single Certificate I had previously gotten from AIT, but I have hit a wall with the Decleration of Marriage. I can’t find anything regarding this document anywhere? Can anyone offer any assistance regarding this since I am stumped. I really don’t want to pay for a visitors visa then immediately pay for the JFRV when I arrive in Taiwan next week.

And by the way, I called the US embassy in HK and they state they do not offer a Decleration of Marriage document

That’s probably just HK being dicks. That office is historically notorious for being a pack of wankers.

Get a visitor visa to Taiwan then get your JFRV here.

I have been working in Taiwan for 2 years with a work visa/ARC. When I get married and apply for JFRV does the 5 year clock start over for my APRC?

Thanks!

1 Like