Getting married and applying for JFRV

no sadly I ain’t in Taiwan for 5 years yet.

So you request it from the state that you have lived for at least 5 years eh? 2 most recent states I lived at wasn’t that long so I guess just go back to the state that I have lived for 5 years and longer? hmm I havn’t lived in Taiwan for 5 years but my parents know some higher ranking cops, I wonder if I can just get letter from them…hm maybe not coz u send the lettter to some higher officials.

“You can send them your passport through the mail if you’d like, however you can also just send a copy. . . an OFFICIAL copy taken at AIT and then authenticated at MOFA. Dude. Once you got that, you send the form and the passport copy to the TECO office, along with a money order for US$32.”

official copy of passport…just get it in AIT? is there a branch in Kaohsiung? or only in Taipei? then authenticated at MOFA…need to get a stamp or something I guess?..is there a MOFA in Kaohsiung? jeez maybeI have to fly to taipei to do all those. and 32 money order can you get this in Taiwan bank? personal check from the states will they take that.

Just go to AIT, and tell them you want an official copy taken of your passport. They copy it, stamp it, make you swear it’s original and then take NT$1000 from you. :smiley:

AIT in Kaohsiung
5th Floor, No.2, Chung Cheng 3rd Road, Kaohsiung
TEL:(07)238-7744
FAX:(07)238-5237

Then take it to MOFA, fill out a document authentication form, pay around NT$700 and pick up your MOFA-stamped-AIT-Official passport copy the next day.

MOFA in Kaohsiung
2F, 436, Cherng Kung 1st Road, Kaohsiung
Tel: (07) 211-0605

As far as money, I know they take US cash!! :smiley: Hope this helps!

nice man…thanks for the detailed info and addresses…

No prob! :slight_smile:

hey guys for us to apply for tw citizenship…do they have like lawyer or land script? to help you do it? work are piling up and time is running out too…

Ok, maybe I just got lucky…slipped through a crack or something…my police record story goes like this:

I got a copy of an FBI fingerprint card from AIT (turns out you can have your check done through the FBI, but for me it was cheaper to go through my home state, Indiana, and quicker). I took that card to the main Kaohsiung police station and was fingerprinted. Can’t remember the cost, but wasn’t too much. The guy fingerprinting me kept asking me questions like I was some sort of criminal…but that’s another story. So…I get them to stamp and sign the card, and I mailed it to my state’s State Police Records Office, along with a letter saying what I wanted them to do and an international money order (which the Taiwan Post office FORGOT to put into the envelope!!! :astonished: ) I had them send that to my parents in Indiana. They got it and contacted TECO. TECO said to mail it to them along with a copy of my passport. They DID NOT require a certified copy. I just scanned it on my scanner and sent a jpg file to my parents, who printed and sent that to them along with the fingerprints (and some$$). They got it back pretty quick and got it back to me without incident.

SO…maybe I got lucky…but I didn’t have to authenticate my passport. FYI, the TECO office was the Chicago branch.

I’m now waiting for my Resident Visa. They accepted all my documents and things are looking good. One word of advice though…check, check, double check and TRIPLE check with MOFA to be sure you have EVERYTHING you need before going down. I was told be friends who’s done this before that they’ll ‘forget’? to tell you to bring something…which will end up wasting your time taking off work and driving there. What they forgot to tell us? That we need some paper from AIT saying that we’re recognized as being married in the US. (We checked with them 3 times and they never mentioned this) Turns out it’s something like the ‘single’ paper. You just go there, with your passport, and swear you’re married to whoever you write down on the paper. Crazy! They don’t even require a marriage certificate or for your wife to be there. So in theory…you could say you’re married to the President’s daughter, and they would authenticate it. :astonished: Make sure you’ve got that. Also, guess my wife brought the wrong copy of her family registry. Make sure you have the long version.

Hope that made sense to someone as was somewhat helpful.

:slight_smile:

oZzo

I did it myself. So did Cooling Tower. You can DIY or pay somebody to learn how to help you imho

ok just called the state I have lived in for the last 5 years which is Florida…they say to get police clearance record I have to physically be there with my ID so they konw it’s me…they can’t mail the form or email it to me…but then I told them I have a friend who just had PD mail the form and stuff to him and he just fills it out…he said that they don’t do it in Daytona Beach…hm maybe I should try some other cities in Florida? or try a different state? last 2 years I lived in CA, before that 6 years in Florida and prior that 4 years in NJ and also the state I was born…maybe any of the states will be fine? does it really have to be5 years?

hm they say it didn’t need to be finger printed…just a form…actually a clearance record from the city I lived in didn’t need fingerprint but state wide needed it…do I need a state wide or local one?

[quote=“ozzo”][quote=“tienfubin”]
BTW, if any US citizens currently living in Taiwan need to obtain a Police Clearance Letter from your home state by mail, it is indeed a fun one. I know, I just did it.
[/quote]

Ok, maybe I just got lucky…slipped through a crack or something…my police record story goes like this:

I got a copy of an FBI fingerprint card from AIT (turns out you can have your check done through the FBI, but for me it was cheaper to go through my home state, Indiana, and quicker). I took that card to the main Kaohsiung police station and was fingerprinted. Can’t remember the cost, but wasn’t too much. The guy fingerprinting me kept asking me questions like I was some sort of criminal…but that’s another story. So…I get them to stamp and sign the card, and I mailed it to my state’s State Police Records Office, along with a letter saying what I wanted them to do and an international money order (which the Taiwan Post office FORGOT to put into the envelope!!! :astonished: ) I had them send that to my parents in Indiana. They got it and contacted TECO. TECO said to mail it to them along with a copy of my passport. They DID NOT require a certified copy. I just scanned it on my scanner and sent a jpg file to my parents, who printed and sent that to them along with the fingerprints (and some$$). They got it back pretty quick and got it back to me without incident.

SO…maybe I got lucky…but I didn’t have to authenticate my passport. FYI, the TECO office was the Chicago branch.

I’m now waiting for my Resident Visa. They accepted all my documents and things are looking good. One word of advice though…check, check, double check and TRIPLE check with MOFA to be sure you have EVERYTHING you need before going down. I was told be friends who’s done this before that they’ll ‘forget’? to tell you to bring something…which will end up wasting your time taking off work and driving there. What they forgot to tell us? That we need some paper from AIT saying that we’re recognized as being married in the US. (We checked with them 3 times and they never mentioned this) Turns out it’s something like the ‘single’ paper. You just go there, with your passport, and swear you’re married to whoever you write down on the paper. Crazy! They don’t even require a marriage certificate or for your wife to be there. So in theory…you could say you’re married to the President’s daughter, and they would authenticate it. :astonished: Make sure you’ve got that. Also, guess my wife brought the wrong copy of her family registry. Make sure you have the long version.

Hope that made sense to someone as was somewhat helpful.

:slight_smile:

oZzo[/quote]

ozzo didn’t yuou need the form and the fingerprint card? or you only need to do the fingerprint card

hm I guess some brand needed certifificated copy and some don’t…I bette r call miami

hmm ok called statewide number for public record in Florida…they say they will need 23 bucks and will take 7-10 days to process it…but didn’t say anything about finger print…I think maybe in Florida they only have the form…

Did you guys ask for the police clearance record in the city you lived in or state wide record…in city they just do a check on that county and in statewide they check on you for the entire state…

The procedure will be different depending on where you apply for the letter and whether you do it in person or by mail, so it’s impossible to say what you may need to do in your particular case. Since you lived in several places before coming to Taiwan, you should probably contact law enforcement agencies in each and see which one is easiest.

For me, I just went through the state police. Didn’t mess with local police (they refered me to state police).

I used an FBI fingerprint card obtained from AIT (Kaohsiung) and had fingerprints taken at Kaohsiungs main police station. (with all official stamps, embossings, etc…to proove it’s legit)

I guess everywhere MUST be different…but if you have a problem with your state…try sending directly to the FBI. I was told (can’t remember if it was MOFA or AIT??) that FBI is just as good as your state.

Just another wrapup…I’m picking my JFRV in 2 days…So everything I said I’ve done has worked. That is…has worked in the dirty south! hehe…

oZzo

:loco: allright i am a student here studying in Shida’s Language Center and going to get married to my Taiwanese GF and am aware of all the requirements…courtesy of all you great helpful people…but today when i called up the toll free number which is INFORMATION FOR FOREIGNERS…they told me with a student ARC for language courses…once we get married…i still need to go to HongKong to get a new visitor visa which would be valid for 6 months…and i need to go with my Marriage certificate…and other documents…is that true…isnt it possible to apply for the visitor visa from BOCA near NTNU Hospital??? :help:

Well i am finally going to get married following the procedures discussed in this topic but still really confused soo would really appreciate some help as i didnt get a response at all from any forumosans…i am currently holding an ARC from Shida’s Language center…now i have all the documents in order but i was told i need to leave the country and come back from Hongkong on a new tourist visa after showing them my marriage certificate from taiwan…and then come back and apply for JFRV…so i want to know is it really necessary to leave the country…i am an overseas chinese born in india…and do i need to get it registered in my country too???i was wondering coz it was mentioned here by the south african guy thats he didnt need to register it in his country since he got married in taiwan…i would really appreciate some response and help this time… :help:

Hi,

I am French and the BOCA asked me to prove than I registered my wedding in my country (France) before they give me any resident visa.

Consequently, I had to redo a criminal record clearance certificat and my health check certificat that expired and stay another couple of months without the right to work freely.

[quote=“karmaGfa”]Hi,

I am French and the BOCA asked me to prove than I registered my wedding in my country (France) before they give me any resident visa.

Consequently, I had to redo a criminal record clearance certificat and my health check certificat that expired and stay another couple of months without the right to work freely.[/quote]

salut, je suis aussi francais

je veux pas te gacher ton dimanche, mais la transcription de ton mariage en france va etre la plus grosse galere…
Moi aussi j’ai prevu de me marrier bientot a taiwan (je suis deja sur place), et cette transcription et la partie qui me fait le plus peur :s
Une autre francais qui c’etait marrie a taiwan l’annee derniere m’a dit qu’il a du attendre 6 mois avant de recevoir son livret de famille francais!!! :fume:
la transcription ce fait a nante ils ne donnent absolument aucuns delais. De plus a l’intitut francais de taipei ils sont conpletement inconpetents et ne font que transmetre ton dossier a nante.

Donc bon courrage :slight_smile:

[quote=“doraemon”]
salut, je suis aussi francais

je veux pas te gacher ton dimanche, mais la transcription de ton mariage en France va etre la plus grosse galere…
Moi aussi j’ai prevu de me marrier bientot a taiwan (je suis deja sur place), et cette transcription et la partie qui me fait le plus peur :s [/quote]

salut, ca fait du bien de trouver quelques compatriotes sur l’ile … c’est pas tous les jours que je croise un Francais. En fait, mon dimanche va rester agreable vu que j’ai demande la transcription de mon mariage le 24 juillet, elle a ete faite a Nantes le 2 aout (c’est du rapide, ca) et le livret de famille est revenu dans ma boite aux lettres en recommande le 17 aout (personne n’est venu sonner a ma porte pour une signature, mais bon … c’est la poste a Taiwan, c’est comme ca), soit un temps record de 3 semaines.

Peut-etre que le Francais qui s’est marie l’an dernier avait fait un mariage dit “traditionnel” et a eu des problemes avec le droit Francais. Moi j’ai suivi le bon conseil de la personne qui s’occupait de ca a l’institut Francais, et ma femme et moi sommes alles signer l’acte de mariage dans un tribunal de district, devant un notaire.

[quote=“doraemon”]la transcription ce fait a nante ils ne donnent absolument aucuns delais. De plus a l’intitut francais de Taipei ils sont conpletement inconpetents et ne font que transmetre ton dossier a nante.

Donc bon courrage :slight_smile:[/quote]

Et oui, cette fois on ne peut meme pas aller leur raler dessus … ces veinards :stuck_out_tongue:

Quand le livret de famille revient, il est accompagne de :

• 2 copies de la transcription de l’acte de mariage au service d’etat civil Francais.
  • 2 copies de l’extrait d’acte de mariage.

Pour ceux qui veulent faire une demande de visa de resident (Join Family Resident Visa a.k.a. JFRV), il faut aller authentifier le papier de la transcription de l’acte de mariage a Paris aupres du bureau des affaires etrangeres, puis le faire authentifier au bureau de representation de Taipei en France, puis le traduire en Chinois ou en Anglais (je pense qu’on peut le faire soit-meme), puis pour finir, faire legaliser la traduction a l’institut Francais.

Ne pas oublier aussi de passer un examen medical specifique a la JFRV. Le certificat de sante est valide 3 mois apres le debut du test de sante.

Il y a aussi besoin d’un extrait d’acte judiciaire. La aussi, ca doit se faire doublement authentifier en France, traduit, puis la traduction doit se faire authentifier. Valide 3 mois apres la creation du papier. La demande de ce papier peut se faire via internet, ils l’envoient a l’adresse que l’on leur donne sur le site. Moi j’ai tout fait partir chez mon pere qui m’a aide a faire authentifier les papiers en France.

Ensuite, donner tout ca (et peut-etre quelques photos et de l’argent) au BOCA qui se trouve pas trop loin de l’hospital de Tai Da.

Bref, si tu as des questions, tu peux me les poser en private message.
a+, et bon courage avec les papiers et surtout avec … la culture du couple Taiwanais vu par la Taiwanese.

[quote=“pumpkinslayer”]Firstly, getting married
I got married here in Taiwan. I was married by a Notary in Hsindian (新店).
At the “Notary public office of the Taipei District Court” located at No. 248, Chung-Hsing Rd., Section 1, Xindian City, Taipei County (臺北縣新店市中興路一段248號).

The reguirements for getting married can be found here

To summarize (I still reccommend you read the above document):

Costs:
Application: NT$2 (the form to apply for the whole thing)
Ceremony: NT$1000 (weekends and public holidays NT$1500)
English marriage certificate: NT$400 each
Chinese marriage certificate: One included in the price, extras are about NT$20, but I can’t remember exactly.

You need to prepare the following:

1. A certificate to prove you are single.
  2. Copies and originals of you and your spouse’s IDs (passport for foreigners)
  3. Copies of your two witnesses IDs (or passports for foreigners)
  4. You and your spouses name chops.

[/quote]

Dude, great post, and the most helpful I’ve read on the net so far… Seems I can’t get the right damn info anywhere.

BUT, sorry to say that link didn’t work for me… :frowning: Not too much info (actually non for getting married) on the Liaison Office of South Africa website. Don’t seem like they really WANT to do anything. :fume:

Few questions though, if you don’t mind…

1. To get married, are you sure you don’t need a Police Clearance Certificate in addition to a certificate proving your single status? Seems Americans DO need it, so I would expect as Sef Efricans need it too.
  2. Is the only way to get a certificate proving you’re single by getting someone in South Africa to obtain and mail it to you?
  3. Do both these certificates need to be stamped by the Taipei Liaison Office in South Africa before being sent here?

Sorry for the questions, but searching the net has left me with more questions than answers, and honestly, I’m FEAKING :yay: OUT here…

Side note, my SO and I weren’t originally in a hurry to get married, but she recently found out she’s pregnant. Still we felt we preferred to get married after the baby is born, buit someone informed us if you’re not married they just register the baby as having NO FATHER!!! Obviously this can cause all sorts of problems later on and hence the hurry to get all the damn paperwork done and to marry my woman ASAP.

[quote]1. To get married, are you sure you don’t need a Police Clearance Certificate in addition to a certificate proving your single status? Seems Americans DO need it, so I would expect as Sef Efricans need it too.
2. Is the only way to get a certificate proving you’re single by getting someone in South Africa to obtain and mail it to you?
3. Do both these certificates need to be stamped by the Taipei Liaison Office in South Africa before being sent here?[/quote]

1. You don’t. You need that for the JFRV visa after, but not for the actual marriage certificate.
  2. Different in every country. For NZ, I was able to apply with a downloaded form via the post, but SA may be different.
    3.Yes.

Brian

Thanks Brian. Have asked my sister to get both, and will then try to do the JFRV ASAP after the wedding before the 3 month expiration of the documents. It’s somewhat of a mission to go through isn’t it. Just hope we can get everything done in time…