Getting married and applying for JFRV

bismark:

I haven’t been on these forums for ages, glad I bumped into your reply here.

One thing that often confuses people is that the marriage and application for the JFRV are seperate. Once you are married, you will get a marriage certificate, one in Chinese (which has both your English and Chinese name on it) and more in English if you like. It is just getting married.

You will then need to register your status in the household registry. Done at the household registration office for the area that is currently on your spouse’s ID card.

Then you can start getting the documents together for the JFRV, although getting as many of the documents and other things ahead of time is useful if time is an issue.

If you do find yourself running out of time, don’t panic. Go and talk to the foreign affairs, take as many official documents along as possible and honestly explain your situation. With the right combination of smiles and relevent documents they might be able to extend an expiring ARC or Visa, or that kind of thing. But this is only what I would try, no proof for it.

So…

1. Only single status certificate required (stamped by ROC place in SA)
  2. Check SA trade office for this one, maybe they can help you, if they’re not sure, plead (nicely).
  3. All stuff originating from SA needs to be stamped at ROC office in SA

SA police clearance is valid for 6 months, but all ROC documents are 3 months only, we had to tell them this was the case in SA and they accepted it anyway. Wouldn’t count on this though.

Final aside: You mentioned the child having no father. When We had a kid this May, the office that handled things said that a birth with a foreign parent, they might write it down as having no father. But a note would be made that the child is yours. Beats the heck out of me. But as long as your GF acknowledges you as the father, that will go down on the birth certificate and that is that.

Best of luck with the whole thing…

Does the police clearance certificate needs to be translated into Chinese? Or is it good enough if it is in English already? My wife is from Denmark. The certificate is in Danish. She translates it into English. Both the Danish and English versions are authenticated by the Taiwan “embassy” in Denmark. Is that enough?

All official documents need to be either in Chinese or English. Any other language needs it to be translated and then verified.

They need to be verified in your home country AND again, here in Taiwan at the MOFA.

[quote=“pumpkinslayer”]All official documents need to be either in Chinese or English. Any other language needs it to be translated and then verified.

They need to be verified in your home country AND again, here in Taiwan at the MOFA.[/quote]

Does it need to be verified if they are already in English?
-sorry, but I’m confused about this one…

[quote=“tinster”][quote=“pumpkinslayer”]All official documents need to be either in Chinese or English. Any other language needs it to be translated and then verified.

They need to be verified in your home country AND again, here in Taiwan at the MOFA.[/quote]

Does it need to be verified if they are already in English?
-sorry, but I’m confused about this one…[/quote]

This site should answer your questions:

http://iff.npa.gov.tw/enfront/faq.php?tr_id=9&id=451

“Certificate of passing health examination (valid for 3 months), (the hospital must be the one designated by Department of Health, Executive Yuan for foreiner’s health examination) or the certificate of health examination issued by an approved hospital in foreign country and certified by a R.O.C. embassy or representaticve).”

Does anyone have the list (or an url to the list) of the hospotials in Taiwan that are desingated by the Department of Health?

Taiwanese hospitals have the list. You can go to ask in one of them.
I just know that the recent list includes Ren Ai hospital and excludes NTU hospital.

HAHA funny worry :slight_smile: if that day came , chances are everyone and everything in Taiwan would be in English because English wouldve become the dominant language.

looking for the sub-titles (hey forumosa is English s’il vous plait :slight_smile::):slight_smile: )

Is there any point to applying for this even if we’re not currently living in Taiwan… and we may or may not be in the future.

I just figured it would be easier for him when we visit… not to have to enter on a visitors visa or whatever

Is he ineligible for visa-free entry? Will he want to stay longer than 30 days? Will he want to work here?

If the answers are “No” to all of them then it’s probably not worth it. If you get other answers then you may want to consider it.

Also keep in mind that one must be married to a ROC national who has household registration in order to get a JFRV. You would want to ensure that you still have household registration for him to be eligible. This qualification is sometimes a problem for Taiwanese whose family have lived overseas a long time.

[quote=“netuser”]“Certificate of passing health examination (valid for 3 months), (the hospital must be the one designated by Department of Health, Executive Yuan for foreiner’s health examination) or the certificate of health examination issued by an approved hospital in foreign country and certified by a R.O.C. embassy or representaticve).”

Does anyone have the list (or an url to the list) of the hospotials in Taiwan that are desingated by the Department of Health?[/quote]

I’ve been to WangFang Hospital for doing the healthy check. You only need to bring 2 photos, one copy of your passport and write two forms. It cost 800NT$ and take 10 working days to get the result.
The hospital is clean, and all is well indicate in English. Execpt that the nurses can’t speak english, all was fine for me.

Edit: and no you can’t produce your poop at home, you have to do it in the hospital. If you really can’t, they also provide you a kind of oil to inject yourself somewhere… :blush:

I did mine at Cardianl Tien hospital in Xindian and the toilet was so filthy I refused to use it. They had no problem with me taking the bottle home and filling it there.

I just want to update something about getting the ARC.

-Now you must go with your wife for applying it (they told me this is a new law… :s )
-And for the re-entry permit, you can apply it in the same time that the ARC. You don’t need to do it separately

[quote=“doraemon”]I just want to update something about getting the ARC.

-[color=darkred]Now you must go with your wife for applying it [/color](they told me this is a new law… :s )
-And for the re-entry permit, you can apply it in the same time that the ARC. You don’t need to do it separately[/quote]

And what a useless stupid rule it is!
I went to apply for my ARC alone…told I had to come back with the wife.

Came back with the wife and they didnt even look at her. She just sat there quiet as mouse. She lost 2000 NT and hours worked for missing work. They get docked a bonus pay for missing work. She was pissed. The FAP didnt even ask to see her ID. She could have been a friend, classmate, or binlang xiao jie I picked up for all they know or care.

They gave me my re-entry permit sticker in my passport the same day and had to wait a few days for the ARC. Catch is, you cant use the re-entry permit sticker without showing your ARC. So, if you plan on leaving the country before your ARC is issued, you can’t. Doubt it would be a problem for the majority though.

another small update :slight_smile:

My wife and me got a small interview at the Taipei city police station for applying the ARC. (they only ask some basic details, nothing very complicate to answer…)
I’ll receive my ARC card by AirMail because they’ll move to another place soon (I don’t know where, so you should check their website)

[quote=“Quarters”][quote=“doraemon”]I just want to update something about getting the ARC.

-[color=darkred]Now you must go with your wife for applying it [/color](they told me this is a new law… :s )
-And for the re-entry permit, you can apply it in the same time that the ARC. You don’t need to do it separately[/quote]

And what a useless stupid rule it is!
I went to apply for my ARC alone…told I had to come back with the wife.

Came back with the wife and they didnt even look at her. She just sat there quiet as mouse. She lost 2000 NT and hours worked for missing work. They get docked a bonus pay for missing work. She was pissed. The FAP didnt even ask to see her ID. She could have been a friend, classmate, or binlang xiao jie I picked up for all they know or care.

They gave me my re-entry permit sticker in my passport the same day and had to wait a few days for the ARC. Catch is, you cant use the re-entry permit sticker without showing your ARC. So, if you plan on leaving the country before your ARC is issued, you can’t. Doubt it would be a problem for the majority though.[/quote]

probably your wife LOOKs like she is your wife. Im sure someone saw you guys come in and you guys look like a couple. thats what i think anyway.

Tommy, you’re talking out your rear end.[quote=“Quarters”]She lost 2000 NT and hours worked for missing work. They get docked a bonus pay for missing work. She was pissed.[/quote]This is why they never asked for the ID.

Indeed. This new (12 months old I believe) ‘law’ was introduced to prevent foreign spouses involved in ‘sham’ marriages disappearing as soon as they get their ARC (‘escaping’ is the term they used apparently…boneheads). So you’re a rent boy in the Zone or something, am I right Quarters?

no, this new ‘law’ started the 19 December of this year and include a small interview.
The 2 January 2007 all will move to another place (don’t know where? :frowning: ), and the FAP won’t care about ARC or visas extentions anymore from this date.

[quote=“gangster recycler”]Tommy, you’re talking out your rear end.[quote=“Quarters”]She lost 2000 NT and hours worked for missing work. They get docked a bonus pay for missing work. She was pissed.[/quote]This is why they never asked for the ID.

Indeed. This new (12 months old I believe) ‘law’ was introduced to prevent foreign spouses involved in ‘sham’ marriages disappearing as soon as they get their ARC (‘escaping’ is the term they used apparently…boneheads). So you’re a rent boy in the Zone or something, am I right Quarters?[/quote]

Is it just me or are a lot of posts recently hard to understand? A combination of bad English and weird gibberish.

Why exactly did they ask for her ID? You qouted part of my post about my wife losing 2000 NT for taking time off from work. But how does that tie into your comment about asking for ID’s?

First of all, what the sam dickens is a “rent boy”? I can only assume you mean that my wife married me for my money to pay the rent. In which case, if that is what you meant, I must politely say…skitter off you bugger, how dare you insult me and my wife like that. :fume:

Secondly, what “Zone” am I in?

So I must answer your question, Gangster Recycler, with: No you are not right, nor do you make any sense at all! :loco: