Getting sick of Taipei!

I’ve been in Taipei for a while now and I’m starting to get sick of it… always raining…small run down apartments… pretentious attitude of people in Zhongxiao Dunhua (where I live). The only thing this city has to offer is gay life (yes, I’m a gay!) but that’s not everything.

I’m thinking of moving to Taichung or Kaohsiung once my current contract is up in July… anyone done the same?! Any advice, regrets?

Thanks

Robin

[quote=“Robin-Hood”]I’ve been in Taipei for a while now and I’m starting to get sick of it… always raining…small run down apartments… pretentious attitude of people in Zhongxiao Dunhua (where I live). The only thing this city has to offer is gay life (yes, I’m a gay!) but that’s not everything.

I’m thinking of moving to Taichung or Kaohsiung once my current contract is up in July… anyone done the same?! Any advice, regrets?

Thanks

Robin[/quote]

Rich ass segments of society will always be generally more pretentious than average in any town - not just Taipei. Keep it in mind!

I’d suggest getting out of that area - living just outside of Taipei city(it doesn’t really matter which suburb) will drastically lower your rent, enlarge your space, put you in closer proximity to greenery and fatten your wallet.

I enjoy visiting Taichung and Kaoshiung but I think by living there you’d end up giving up a few amenities that aren’t as easily found elsewhere as they are in Taipei(ie. good transportation, international food, proximity to the airports, large English speaking community, etc.) though on the bright side you’ll get more sunlight.

[quote=“wudjamahuh”][quote=“Robin-Hood”]I’ve been in Taipei for a while now and I’m starting to get sick of it… always raining…small run down apartments… pretentious attitude of people in Zhongxiao Dunhua (where I live). The only thing this city has to offer is gay life (yes, I’m a gay!) but that’s not everything.

Thanks

Robin[/quote]

Rich ass segments of society will always be generally more pretentious than average in any town - not just Taipei. Keep it in mind!

I’d suggest getting out of that area - living just outside of Taipei city(it doesn’t really matter which suburb) will drastically lower your rent, enlarge your space, put you in closer proximity to greenery and fatten your wallet.

I enjoy visiting Taichung and Kaoshiung (Gaoxiong) but I think by living there you’d end up giving up a few amenities that aren’t as easily found elsewhere as they are in Taipei(ie. good transportation, international food, proximity to the airports, large English speaking community, etc.) though on the bright side you’ll get more sunlight.[/quote]

Weather sucks here alright, it’s crowded and the housing quality sucks and is too expensive. As soon as the MRT goes online Taichung will be a better place to live all round.

Robin Hood,
Kaohsiung has a bad rep. On mention of the name, locals will spew forth complaints of unbearable heat, undrinkable water, and intolerable pollution. This is mostly bullshit. Taipei is more interesting but if you are looking to save money and not freeze your balls off, then Kaohsiung is a good option. It’s an underrated city.

I worked in the Dunhua area where you are living so I can understand your desire to move.

John

As wudjamahuh said, you could consider moving to Taipei county.

Danshui area can be quite good and only 30 mins to the city on the MRT. I commuted from Bali for three years and felt quite comfortable going home at night and leaving the city, smog and noise behind. I like to be close to work but not too close. Near Danshui you’ll get the beach mountains and all within a short ride to shops/local transport.

Hope this helps.

L.

Taichung is a lovely city, with lots of sunshine and open space. Rents are reasonable and jobs are pretty easy to come by. Transportation and traffic is not great, but there is a strong foreign expat community with lots of restaurants, shops, bars and associations. People in Taichung are generally more friendly than up north and we are also closer to the central mountains. Come and visit, spend a few days wandering around and you will see the benefits of our fair city.