Getting your driver's license in Taipei

It’s complicated. It’s just not a option

I’m intrigued. And when I get intrigued, then, well…

Actually, you have to take it to the AIT to have it notarized/authenticated first.

Such is the education system here :roll:

1 Like

FYI

Apparently, there is a new [road test] (http://focustaiwan.tw/news/afav/201704290017.aspx) that started on Monday this week?

Finally!
It was about time already!:grandpa:

A co-worker just got her license yesterday and stated she went through the closed driving course.

I assume if you had already reserved time to take the closed driving course exam prior to May 1, you are still taking the closed course road test.

LOL, if that’s the case I can we can safely assume tests have been reserved for the foreseeable future!

I think if you signed up before that is true.

Regardless, I don’t see how making it harder does anything. The problem people seem to have with driving in taiwan is not the lack of driving skill but the aggressive driving and lack of respect for rules and making people do more difficult test doesn’t change that.

A lot of the problem is that people don’t know the rules as they were never taught to drive using those rules, you pass the test by driving around a car park and answering questions at a computer terminal. It needs to be automated for Taiwan as otherwise, bribes, suspicion of bribes etc etc would render a “normal” western system of driving examiners sitting in near impossible. I don’t believe the addition of the road based test will make much difference to driver behavior.

Other that the normal hoons that are in every country with souped up Civics etc, I believe the aggressive driving here is down to 2 factors.

One being that owning a vehicle is still felt as a status symbol whereby drivers feel they are above those in lesser cars, scooters, pedestrians etc. and therefore feel they can do as they like.

The second being heavy tints on windows! I think the feeling of anonymity given by tinted windows with the lack of eye contact leads people to act way more aggressively than they otherwise would. All that pent up frustrations from having no decision making authority at work or at home makes Ah Huang turn a little crazy when let lose on the roads in his privacy bubble. Meek Huang becomes gangster Huang in his blacked out Cefiro.

2 Likes

lol, is it safe to assume BMW drivers are the worst?

I agree with the point with tinted windows. Motorists hide behind the tinted windows.

Do you guys ever thing the aggressive driving and the lack of following rules will get better in the future?

hahahaha good laugh “Meek Huang becomes gangster Huang in his blacked out Cefiro.”

Why are limo tints accepted here? Back home you can’t go lower than 35% but people here def have 5% which is crazy because HTF do you see at night? Plus they tint their front window, which you can’t do in other countries.

Anybody knows whih hospital in new taipei city , can i do the physical examination? Preferably in Xindian

Is it for a drivers licence?

yes

The physical is not even 5 mins at the DMV, hearing test, eye test, squat down, pay 150nt

Did you pick up the form yet? The DMV will give you the form that they need filled out for your medical. When I did it, the lady just pointed me to a hospital around the corner. Like Zapman says, it takes a couple of minutes.

The DMV I went to had a room inside for the medical tests, I did not go to a hospital.

A row of nurses in charge of the different things, it was super efficient.

which dmv?

I am pretty sure it was Shillin dmv