Go-Karting In Taiwan

GRFT is on Facebook. Look for 鉅豐卡丁車(粉絲團)按讚加入喔

Let’s do 3pm? We should be able to get done by 5pm, which gives edlaz about an hour and a half of daylight to get home and lets kerolivers wife join us. I may be able to get a few more peeps to join us at that time also.

Good for me. AOC Team will be on the track. Vroooom !

Re: my work chums and the 1hr track rental on a Thursday night at Taroko, most of them finish in Jhongli at 6:10pm, so we’re looking at 7:30-8:30, or more likely 8-9pm.

I went go-karting this weekend at the TKS track in [strike]Nanto[/strike] Chiaoto, near Kaohsiung. It was a whole lot of fun. My arms still feel it, though. It’s physically demanding.

Yeah 3pm, 30th April is good for me. I’ll see if I can get my friend to come along. Does it get crowded at GFRT on weekend evenings?

Keroliver, what’s the AOC team?

[quote=“edlaz”]Yeah 3pm, 30th April is good for me. I’ll see if I can get my friend to come along. Does it get crowded at GFRT on weekend evenings?

Keroliver, what’s the AOC team?[/quote]

Alright all, 3pm on the 30th is good. I have an appointment back in Taipei at 730pm so the three sessions 600NT deal should be perfect. Looking forward to seeing you guys there! I’ll bring a light blue Speed Racer shirt.

Hey there’s a track booking on the 30th from 1pm to 4pm. I just saw it on the site.

Thanks for telling us. Never mind. Even if it’s raining, even if there’s a sandstorm, even if it’s booked, we will be there.

Thanks for the heads up. I’ll call them when they open to see the details of the booking. They often run the rentals in during breaks if it’s say a bike club. Worse case scenario we’ll get there a bit early, shoot the breeze a bit, and start our first session at around 4.

On Facebook, it says the track is booked until 3 PM. Good for us.
‎4/30 13:00~15:00由佳美貿易股份有限公司包場,如造成不便之處,敬請見諒
4 / 30 13:00 ~ 15:00 Camry Trade Co., Ltd. by the private use, such as the inconvenience caused, please forgive me

Hmmm, there’s a discrepancy btw their FB page and their homepage. Alright then see you guys at 3pm as planned. I’d be in a red Danger mouse t-shirt.

We called. They are reserved until 4pm. I’ll still leave on time to get there around 3:00. I’ll be in a blue Speed Racer shirt.

And I was wearing a blue polo.

Wow! Very good! Thanks guys for this very good time.
Good fun, good drive and good feeling in and out the track.
I was very impressed by your technical knowledge.
And I repeat that Rosso Track in Taichung will suit your needs!
See:

It was an awesome afternoon. You guys were great company! I’ll give Rosso a try when I get down to Tai Chung. Might need directions though. And yes we should get together for another afternoon of racing.

Hey guys that was really fun racing. We had some nice clean, close-quarters battles out there!

Here’s one of the laps off of the LapTimerPro iPhone app zoomed all the way out. I’ll get a handlebar mount for the rollhoop so maybe next time we can do the video with g-force / track position / speed overlay next time. There’s also a Tom Tom cradle that bumps up the GPS sample rate to RaceLogic/DL1/Traqmate level that I might check out. Having a portable real datalogger would be cool! I’ll also look into the iPhone-to-iPad telemetry setup (with headset) so we can maybe watch each other on track, see the data, and relay back to the driver in real-time to get those sections right.

This was from the first session, and looking at the data plus your guys input really helped me get a few sections sorted out. Thanks!

I didn’t realize until looking at this how left biased the course is. If I were setting up a kart, it would definitely incorporate this into where to to put ballast, etc.

I talked to Joe and one of the Rotax drivers afterwards to get an idea on costs to do racing karts.

The Chinese-made karts and PRD engines are the cheapest at roughly 140k NTD for a new setup and 90k for a used setup. Storage at their track is 10k for a year. Consumables are minimal with this setup on that track because their surface is low-grip and easy on tires (as we can see from the g-trace above).

The competitive CRG + Rotax setups are about 400K new and the Rotax engine is about 100K. The racer told me a lot of guys buy chassis and keep them at separate karting tracks like Macau, Sepang, etc and bring the engine with them as carry on luggage. The chassis are less expensive in these more racing-heavy countries than in Taiwan, also. Macau tends to be a favorite, and I agree with that assessment. My favorite karting tracks so far are, Newcastle in Indiana, USA (it’s huge), Pat Acres in Oregon, USA (beautiful location) and Macau Karting Center (flat but long and fast).

We should definitely meet up at Rosso. I would probably get there by HSR, so edlaz, we could coordinate last-mile transport that way. I’m in China next weekend, so how about in a few weeks?

Also you guys know a good karting center in Beijing? :slight_smile:

Hi, guys!

I am new to Forumosa and I work down in Yunlin County in a chemical plant for the summer. I would definitely be game for a trip to the track. Taichung is close for me. I was in Taipei this weekend, and I am new to the forum, so I saw at 3:30 that you guys were going to TaoYuan at 4:00. There is not much to do here, so I am pretty desperate. I would go all the way to TaoYuan for karting.

I am no kart racer in the USA, though. Just an ordinary guy. I do own a go-kart in the USA, so I guess that counts for something.

[quote=“Joe Schmoe”]Hi, guys!

I am new to Forumosa and I work down in Yunlin County in a chemical plant for the summer. I would definitely be game for a trip to the track. Taichung is close for me. I was in Taipei this weekend, and I am new to the forum, so I saw at 3:30 that you guys were going to Taoyuan at 4:00. There is not much to do here, so I am pretty desperate. I would go all the way to Taoyuan for karting.

I am no kart racer in the USA, though. Just an ordinary guy. I do own a go-kart in the USA, so I guess that counts for something.[/quote]

Welcome! The more the merrier. We’ll probably arrange a session within the next few weeks or so. The Rosso track looks fun!

Welcome Joe. The more the merrier indeed. Keep in touch. We will notify our next session here. Oliver

Hey! Welcome Joe! Great to have more company when we kart!

I’m a little busy this weekend and next weekend but I’m free from the weekend on the 20th and onwards. Tai Chung is a little far but I’ll figure out a cost effective way to get there, besides I’ve not been there before so I might stay a weekend there to explore the place. I’m thinking which would be a better choice, HSR or Coach bus. However, if the costs do add up beyond my budget, I might not be able to join you guys at Rosso.

Absolutely bitten by the karting bug. >.<