Getting to Fulong beach from Taipei

In my opinion that’s the perfect time. Taiwan’s fall weather is my favorite, not so hot and humid.

Great! I read somewhere the beach might not be too clean that time of year

Any suggestions on which train to choose for best views when going to Fulong from Taipei?

There are local trains and there are trains on “mountain line” (takes more time). Which one has better views?

Between Taipei and Fulong all trains follow the same route. The “mountain portion” is in central Taiwan, between Hsinchu and Taichung.

1 Like

It’s all the same line for your part of the trip from Taipei to fulong. Mountain line is only important on the western side so that train is probably coming from or going to the western side of Taiwan.

Sitting on n the left side/east side of train going from Taipei has a better view.

1 Like

Can anyone provide any advice after arriving at Fulong Station? Do you need to take a taxi to the beach? How about lodging once there? Lots to choose from? Thanks.

I think I will avoid the place until AFTER the sand sculpting festival (or whatever you call it) ends. Maybe ghost month would be ideal.

It’s a short walk to the beach from the Train Station. I don’t know much about lodging. There is a hotel right near the beach entrance and a campsite to west of the beach (left of the beach as you face the ocean)

Can you rent a surfboard there? Is there parking for cars?

I think there is parking for cars at the visitor center but there seemed to be a line to get in when I went.

As for surfboards, no idea. Never looked for one.

However, at baishawan (白沙灣) north of Tamsui, I have seen surfboards for rent in some of the shops.

Thanks for that. Maybe a day trip to check things out might be good.

Yes, there’s a surf shop there- one of the places in the main line of restaurants and guest houses immediately adjacent to the beach. There’s also an awesome fish & chips restaurant there (right next to the surf shop actually) called Dazzler’s. The owner is British. Great beer. Tried Hobgoblin with my fish and chips just yesterday, as a matter of fact. Fantastic!

I could swear I had very nice Fish&Chips + Hobgoblin at Dazzler’s last weekend, but at Quanshuiwan :grin: Redirecting...

But just saw they also have a shop at Baishawan: https://www.facebook.com/dazzlersbritishbeachcafe/ Good to know, thanks!

1 Like

I would take the train. Much safer and only about 1:30 from Taipei main station or 1:15 from Songshan station. So convenient and beautiful views in the mountains. Only like 100NT.

Grab snacks at the station after arrival in Fulong. Walk 10 minutes to beach. Rent some surfboards or kayaks or bicycles. Check out the temple and have lunch and drinks at Scubar. The bike ride to the east or south is amazing beautiful and even some coffee shops.

Not more than 5 or so hotels.

Parking easily available.

Not much for inside areas if raining or too hot. So be prepared for dramatic unexpected weather changes.

Me, I drive there a lot, and the beach gets hot quickly without any shade or snacks or anything without walking all the way back out to 7/11.

You can continue on the train a couple more stops to Wai’ao and then walk to there or Wushi Harbor black sand beach.

1 Like

How is the drive? Highway 1 toward Keelung, Highway 62, then Road 2 along the coast until you’re there? Is the traffic okay on the weekends? I would be coming from Xizhi so maybe it would be easier to drive, as long as the traffic isn’t crazy.

I’ve scootered from Song Shan all the way to the southern coastal region of Keelung and I have to say traffic comes and goes. As long as there’s no event at the beach, you should be ok with traffic once you get out of Keelung City.

1 Like