Gogoro 2

I read through your post there (I’m somewhat active on the page) and chose to stay out of it. Some of those guys are diehard petrol-heads and they felt like you were trying to “convince” them to give up their gas scooters. I know that wasn’t the case and you were just sharing.

Once they were on the defensive, they had to ride out that position.

I personally appreciate the time and effort you went into by sharing your experience and with such detail, and I know Robbie does too.

Don’t sweat too much what was being said there and keep doing you.

2 Likes

Thanks brother Yang.

The dude told me to ride a bicycle more…
I’m was shaken up for a bit and cooled down after realizing I’m awesome. :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

Nonetheless, it was interesting to see their side of the spectrum. Which is why I was interested to see what everyone on the forums thought. Since majority here all for the Gogoro. However, in a big group of motorcycle enthusiasts, it seems like the opposite. There’s some that like what Gogoro is doing, but are skeptical.

1 Like

There are already amazing e-motorcycles in development and even being build right now. They have a cool design, are fast and pollute way less, oh, and they are quit.

Zero e-bikes.

Will they catch on in Taiwan though?

I can see it not being an issue in western countries where many people live in houses or apartment buildings have parking garages. I’m not saying people in Taiwan don’t live in houses or buildings with garages, but for arguments sake, let’s say the majority of Taiwanese do not have access to a private outlet to charge an electric motorcycle.

They should start building charging station right now! The government should make funds available.

That’s exactly my standpoint since ever, and it should be overcome by major companies investing in it.

I think this is where Gogoro excels at and wins. They make a pretty good scooter, however, in my opinion, the battery station network is the most win. They saw the issue (in Taiwan) and decided, hey, this WILL work.

2 Likes

Not to beat a dead horse. But the number one problem in Taiwan is the government is still subsidizing and promoting petrol scooters. Thats the biggest obstacle to widespread adoption of electronic scooters. If users were forced to pay the real costs of scooters, they wouldnt use them so often.

1 Like

I think government sees that it’s not an overnight fix. If you force the population to switch to electric, the backlash and paperwork involved is…what they call it? “Ma fan”

I’m no grease monkey, but I believe trading in a 2-stroke scooter, getting a government incentive to buy a more up to date and/or fuel injected scooter, is much much better for air quality than continuing to ride a puffer.

Hmmmm, their are loads that can be done straight away and has been discussed for years. A ban is a ridiculous idea and I have never seen or heard anyone suggesting that. The department of transport themselves are trying to push for changes like charging for parking. There is just a lack of political will at a local level to make difficult decisions and a powerful scooter lobby. Mainly, politicians looking for an easy life

Nobody is forcing anyone to do anything, this isnt China. The issue is that the government are both subsidizing and promoting gas scooters at the same time as electric scooters. In that situation, its doesnt really matter what subsidies, buyback schemes, promotional materials etc you do, they will ultimately fail. Its just straight up retarded in fact.

Edit. Read this article to see the trouble the department of Transport is having getting joint up thinking to face the problem.

2 Likes
  1. range-anxiety: It’s absolutely bullshit on an island 400 by 35 km.
    If Taiwan did not promote E scooters, they’d be very stupid, since this is easily accomplished here on the island with limited places to go.
    In the US, or Europe, it would be a daunting/expensive task to cover every corner with a charging station or battery swapping station. In Taiwan on the other hand, a couple of swapping stations and you are all south. IF you want to go farther, you’ll need a boat.

2. Stay competitive for the future: China is slowly and quietly ramping up the E-vehicle production capacity. They are holding large amounts of foreign currencies.

According to the Treasury, the largest foreign holder of U.S. debt is China, which owns more than $1.24 trillion in bills, notes, and bonds or about 30% of the over $4 trillion in Treasury bills, notes, and bonds held by foreign countries. In total, China owns about 10% of publicly held U.S. debt.Feb 28, 2017

It takes time to develop and then ramp up the production and it goes like 100 then 1000, 20 000 then millions and two millions per year.
If China hits a threshold were they could easily ramp up the production of e-vehicles to what ever is demanded in the West, wouldn’t this make us very vulnerable.
What if China bought into the oil-market directly or indirectly thus making the gas prices too expensive. And then delivering all the e-cars, scooters and bikes on demand?

All you need to know is polluting motor scooters are a 1 billion dollar a year market on this tiny island.
That money talks with politicians.

1 Like

I know Taiwan is narrow, but 35 km?!

From Wiki:

The main island of the archipelago is the island of Taiwan, which is 394 km (245 mi) long, 144 km (89 mi) wide and has an area of 35,883 km2 (13,855 sq mi).

cha bu duo, la

1 Like

The battery issue is EV’s dirty little secret. They try to brush over it whenever it’s mentioned. Another one is where all the electricity is going to come from once a large number of people start adopting EVs. I’m pro-EV to a point. I wouldn’t mind it if my wife had one, but I’ll be keeping my gas-powered scooter until the Gogoro (or Vespa Elettrica, or some other EV) is a more viable option.

And what is a viable option in your eyes?

Something that can handle that secondary highway 136, riding 2-up and passing cars. Plus a way to make 200 kms in Nantou.

Also, they have to open up their proprietary battery technology. Maybe even a home-charging option.

Basically, they have to think from the customer’s point of view and stop trying to control everything.

I don’t think that there will be electricity shortages, more windmills are build everyday, more solar panels are put up, more other source to generate electricity are taken into use. In Taiwan it should be Taipower that takes the step and installs ‘for-pay’ charging stations. They should talk to the apartment and other communities on how best to proceed, bring up ideas on how to install charging stations in parking areas of buildings, all of course against payment.

Hydrogen, natural gas fuel cells are close to getting usable and affordable.

I guess few people ride 200 km on their scooter in one go. Gogoro is still expanding their battery stations.

1 Like

My Kymco Racing 150 has a rather large fuel tank. If I were to go 200 km, I’d be running on fumes if at all!