Good English-speaking hairdresser or barber in Taipei?

There’s a place across the street from Taipower Building that says they speak English (it’s on their signage). Near the Starbucks if I recall correctly.

The title says it all.

I tried a local place near my apartment…no english + really nervous hair stylist = me chickening out and leaving.

Seriously, she didnt want to cut my hair…she looked so freaked out that a foreigner came into her salon, her hands were even shaking when she picked up the scissors…I took that as my cue to leave.

So, I am looking for a place somewhere close to the Muzha area that speaks enough english to where I can communicate how I want my hair cut. Or perhaps there is some magical phrase I can say for…“normal haircut please”?

Do a search duck boy. This has been covered mannnnnnnyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy times.

Don’t you have a girlfriend? Obviously, you get your bird to take you to a local barber (real men don’t go to hair salons). She can translate and put the barber/hairdresser at ease. Next time you go in and say “same as last time”. And it will only cost about NT150.

My apologies. I read the thread about M&M near Zhongxiao Fuxing MRT…guy there names eddie that does a decent job I guess.

Anyone know how to get there after disembarking the MRT?

[quote=“derek1978”]My apologies. I read the thread about M&M near Zhongxiao Fuxing MRT…guy there names eddie that does a decent job I guess.

Anyone know how to get there after disembarking the MRT?[/quote]
just be aware some of that info is getting old. My SO went to see the dude based on the directions and it turns out he had moved, so was late for the appointment.

It would pay to call first and get clear directions from the place itself.

Definitely take a translator. Otherwise you might end up looking like Truant. :stuck_out_tongue:

I can only tell you where NOT to get a haircut. :wink:

Some of you saw the aftermath of it last night.

Go into Taipei and look for a small shop with a barber pole spinning outside.

Go in and sit down and say “Gimme the works!”

You won’t be disappointed. :wink:

Eddie is still at M & M-near corner of Fuxing and Jong Xiao (Sogo).

Getting there-
Go to the corner of Jong Xiao/Fuxing opposite the NEW Sogo building, the correct corner is the one with the electrical store (Brass Monkey side)
Head down Jong Xiao for 100 metres, just past the Hi Life and you will see the M & M sign. Take the lift to the 3rd floor and voila!
If you get lost, you can always call Eddie-0932322843…tell him Darren sent you. He’d love to give you a designer mullet!

[quote=“jdsmith”]Go into Taipei and look for a small shop with a barber pole spinning outside.

Go in and sit down and say “Gimme the works!”

You won’t be disappointed. :wink:[/quote]

Especially if they have all the windows covered with mirrors and a very fancy lobby.

A lot of expats give up and get their head shaved. I tried it and people kept getting confused between my being a survivor of a concentration camp and a cancer victim when I’m just a prisoner of Taiwan like you guys.

You need the right shaped head like Truant.

I’ve had some shockers. Be careful of the spinning pole jobs, they don’t necessarily stop at your first head.

I get my hair cut at a place called Free Zone, on Muxin Road. (Sec. 3, no 132, near Shinglong Road, a little west of the intersection.) Sophia Gao cuts my hair, and my toddler son’s too. We both have curly hair, mine is fine, and she does a pretty job of cutting our hair. I’m not sure if she speaks English or not, though. Tel no. is 2938-5708.

[quote=“derek1978”]My apologies. I read the thread about M&M near Zhongxiao Fuxing MRT…guy there names eddie that does a decent job I guess.

Anyone know how to get there after disembarking the MRT?[/quote]

BTW, did you get shoes? I was at the B&Q in Xindian (just down Muxing Road) and they had decent dress shoes from 1800-3000. George shoes are not as well made as the brands they knock off (and will likely need to be replaced in a year) but they look fine.

B&Q selling shoes now??

B&Q selling shoes now??[/quote]

Outlet mall on the first floor.

Eddie is from Malaysia and speaks almost perfect English, is it?

Eddie is from Malaysia and speaks almost perfect English, is it?[/quote]

What, are you posting again? :wink:

[quote=“Ironman”]A lot of expats give up and get their head shaved. I tried it and people kept getting confused between my being a survivor of a concentration camp and a cancer victim when I’m just a prisoner of Taiwan like you guys.
[/quote]

I hear yah. I looked good with a buzz cut at 18. Now, cancer patient with sciriosis.

Yes, I got my shoes and for a good price too. 2000 NT (on sale from 3000 NT) at one of the large department stores accross from Warner Village near 101. They are not the fanciest shoes in the world, but they are comfortable and look good. Should last a while.

I went to M&M’s and saw Eddie for a haircut. He did a great job on my hair. Quite possible the best haircut I ever had. I even got a massage from one of his female assistants while they washed my hair. BTW: While you are getting your washed you get to sit in a massage chair too. Very relaxing. It was worth the 700 NT. Eddie speaks perfect english and many of his associates do too. I will be definately returning for future hair cuts.