Good English-speaking hairdresser or barber in Taipei?

Try Diane, she has many satisifed customers, both Taiwanese and westerners. We lived in the US for a while so she speaks good English, and she also worked as hair dresser full time for over 4 years in Sweden (speaks good Swedish, too), so she knows western hair and hair styles. She also worked in Hong Kong for a short time.

She’s conveniently located in the middle of Taipei, just 3 minutes walk behind SOGO towards Civic Blvd. By MRT, get off at the Zhongxiao / Fuxing station on the blue line, taking the SOGO exit (4). There’s a (bad, I drew it) map on her web-site (see below), but basically you walk in the direction of Dunhua for about a hundred meters until you hit Da’an Rd. Turn left on Da’an towards Civic Blvd. Pass a 7-11 on your right hand side. The last lane on the same side as the 7-11 before you get to the Family Mart convenience store (which is on the opposite side of Da’an) is lane 31. Turn right into that lane and you’ll find Diane about a hundred meters down, on your right hand side just before the intersection.

Phone: 2778 4733
Address: Da’an Rd., Sec. 1, Ln. 31, No. 31, 2Fl.

She prefers time appointments to just dropping by, so give her a call. She’s open till 8 pm Wednesday through Sunday (Mondays and Tuesdays off).

Hey - I’m wanting a haircut but not really sure where to go. Can anyone recommend a good hair salon in Taipei which isn’t TOO expensive, and preferably has some people who speak a bit of English - as I don’t know a lot of Chinese yet, and would hate to get a bad cut just because of a lack of communication. Oh, and are there any Aveda salons/salons that sell Aveda products? thanks.

Apparently, there’s an Aveda hair place at 117, Da’an Rd sec 1.
Sounds like it’s somewhere near the Sogo. Phone 2740-1038 to check out whether it’s still open.
Otherwise I know there’s an Aveda store on the 1st floor of the Asiaworld Plaza on the corner of Nanjing and Dunhua, but I don’t think they do haircuts there.

Try Diane, she has many satisifed customers, both Taiwanese and westerners. We lived in the US for a while so she speaks good English, and she also worked as hair dresser full time for over 4 years in Sweden (speaks good Swedish, too), so she knows western hair and hair styles. She also worked in Hong Kong for a short time.

She’s conveniently located in the middle of Taipei, just 3 minutes walk behind SOGO towards Civic Blvd. By MRT, get off at the Zhongxiao / Fuxing station on the blue line, taking the SOGO exit (4). There’s a (bad, I drew it) map on her web-site (see below), but basically you walk in the direction of Dunhua for about a hundred meters until you hit Da’an Rd. Turn left on Da’an towards Civic Blvd. Pass a 7-11 on your right hand side. The last lane on the same side as the 7-11 before you get to the Family Mart convenience store (which is on the opposite side of Da’an) is lane 31. Turn right into that lane and you’ll find Diane about a hundred meters down, on your right hand side just before the intersection.

Phone: 2778 4733
Address: Da’an Rd., Sec. 1, Ln. 31, No. 31, 2Fl.
www.fine-salon.com

She prefers time appointments to just dropping by, so give her a call. She’s open till 8 pm Wednesday through Sunday (Mondays and Tuesdays off).

[i][color=green]Hi erinb, and welcome to Forumosa! :slight_smile:

When posting a new topic, please try using the Search function first to see whether your question has been asked before (in this case, numerous times). I’ve searched for you, and will merge your question with the existing threads.

DB, Moderator[/color][/i]

As often as this question gets asked, maybe it deserves a sticky!

I have almost finished (aside from Gallery pictures) making a simple site for my good friend Eddie.

If anyone is interested in checking him out, I continue to recomend Eddie as the man to get things done, his skill is amazing and he really has the best eye for his art. Anyway I can’t help blowing smoke, so check him out for yourselves.

Go to readyeddiego.com

The man’s a miracle worker.

He makes me look good.

Does he do women?

Don’t be fooled by stereotypes, darling; Eddie’s married with children. :unamused:

Aiyo! I just need my ends trimmed, s’all.

In Shuanghe (Yonghe/Zhonghe) across the street from the YongAn Market MRT station, there’s a A-Hair (formerly A-Salon) salon that does great work. Wash,cut,hair spa is NTD630. Wash and cut is like NTD 300 or so if I remember right.

Annie is the main hairdresser/manager there. Renny is another one who I use.

Sulavaca - Is the $700NT price for a cut include women hair cuts? Also, does Eddie cut the hair wet or dry?

The reason I ask is that I go to a hair stylist at Discovery Hair Studio (Dun-Hua S. Rd.), which is behind the California Fitness on Zhongxiao E. Rd., who cuts my hair dry. I find this very strange since I’m used to getting my hair cut wet. Her English is not great, but when I asked if she could cut my hair wet, she said that she could but it would not look as good as if she cut it dry. Anyway she is the owner of the store and accordingly charged 1200NT. I had to go back 2 days later to have her recut my hair because she didn’t cut it very well. I thought it was because she doesn’t speak much English and I don’t speak any Mandarin and, therefore, I didn’t communicate what I wanted very well. Anyway, I took a Taiwanese friend with me to translate the second time and it was a better cut. Still…I am used to the caliber of cuts from Toni and Guy in the U.S., so I wasn’t fully satisfied. Eddie looks like he might be a good fit for me.

[quote=“p32rad”]Sulavaca - Is the $700NT price for a cut include women hair cuts? Also, does Eddie cut the hair wet or dry?

The reason I ask is that I go to a hair stylist at Discovery Hair Studio (Dun-Hua S. Rd.), which is behind the California Fitness on Zhongxiao E. Rd., who cuts my hair dry. I find this very strange since I’m used to getting my hair cut wet. Her English is not great, but when I asked if she could cut my hair wet, she said that she could but it would not look as good as if she cut it dry. Anyway she is the owner of the store and accordingly charged 1200NT. I had to go back 2 days later to have her recut my hair because she didn’t cut it very well. I thought it was because she doesn’t speak much English and I don’t speak any Mandarin and, therefore, I didn’t communicate what I wanted very well. Anyway, I took a Taiwanese friend with me to translate the second time and it was a better cut. Still…I am used to the caliber of cuts from Toni and Guy in the U.S., so I wasn’t fully satisfied. Eddie looks like he might be a good fit for me.[/quote]

Why don’t you call Eddie: 0932 322 843

He’ll be happy to answer all your questions. (I’m pretty sure he cuts mine wet, but I don’t really pay much attention [you wouldn’t look in the mirror too much if you were me :s ]).

I had Diane at Fine Hair Salon cut my hair a couple of weeks ago, and I am soooo happy with it. Originally, I just wanted it trimmed to shoulder length and the bangs cut, but it looked so boring that I asked her to give me a style. She cut it (mostly wet, using a spray bottle when necessary), gave me the cutest, sassy short hair cut I’ve ever had. I don’t begrudge the $1000 I paid, either, because the one time I had someone else cut my hair here, it looks horrid for weeks.

Diane has 22 years of experience, a lot of it with Western hair. She speaks excellent English, has a lovely salon in her home, plays marvelous music while you’re there, and will engage in interesting conversation. And her pets are way cute. :slight_smile:

Can’t recommend her enough, really, and you’ll find her address earlier in this thread. Hope to score a fresh-baked cinnamon bun next time (blatant hint to Her Husband).

Yes, anyone please call Eddie for the cutting details as he may use differing techniques for different types of hair and I wouldn’t like to say the wrong thing. The prices for men and women should be the same though, and the only different prices for hair are based on length and treatments, not style by the looks of things. The price list on the site readyeddiego.com/ should be clear enough and if not, then please call Eddie.

Hint taken. I’ll make sure there is a couple for you to go with the coffee next time.

And I’ll be sure to give you enough advance notice to ensure said buns will be ready. :slight_smile:

Just an update. I have added a few pictures to eddie’s gallery page readyeddiego.com/gallery.htm

Anyone know the general price for a guy’s haircut here? I haven’t cut mine since leaving Canada (seven months now) and I’m thinking it’s about time. Dianne and Eddie seem to be the ones to go to, but I would like to know the prices before going. For a guy’s haircut I just don’t see the use in paying an arm and a leg, but I also don’t feel like going to Animals Taiwan and giving Shawn $10nt to shave my head after he’s done with all the dogs.

Also, for a Western style haircut (and I don’t mean the Billy Ray Mullet) should I bring pictures of what I want or will they have some magazines to look at?

I love my long hair, but it’s getting a little out of control so one of these two hopefully can tame it!!!