Good English-speaking hairdresser or barber in Taipei?

I went to the Aveda in B1 of the Breeze Center. They gave me a hand and neck massage, bottomless cups of peppermint tea, a calm relaxing shampooing session, aromatherapy where I chose the scented oil that fitted my senses the best, and then hacked the shit out of my hair and gave me one of the fugliest “styles” ever seen this side of the 80’s. They charged me $1200 and gave a complementary sample bottle of their hand lotion which smells like heaven (which in case you didn’t know smells like ginger, citrus, and a hint of cinnamon and nutmeg).

In other words, I liked everything about my haircut and style session except the actual haircutting and styling. I just wish they would admit they can’t do black hair. I can’t wait to go back to the States and get my hair done right.

You poor man. You poor, poor man. I bet you don’t like monster trucks, either, or Pabst Blue Ribbon. There’s a name for people like you and it 'aint purty.[/quote]

What the hell is wrong with Pabst?

If you go to Diane ask the price BEFORE you get a cut, and do so everytime you go.

I had been going for a few months and then one day she told me that she would charge 800 instead of 700 (cut only). Nothing wrong with that except that she told me once she was done, not when I called to make an appointment or arrived at the salon.
About a months or so ago she did the same thing again and asked 1000 NT after cutting, saying that she has to do so because of rising prices (oil, electricity etc.).

Pretty good hourly rate considering that it takes 20 minutes only for one cut.

An e-mail from Diane:

[quote]Thanks for your E-mail. My rates for the hair cut is NT$ 1.000.- shampoo and styling is NT$300.-
color for the short is NT$2.000.-[/quote]

[quote=“Rascal”]If you go to Diane ask the price BEFORE you get a cut, and do so every time you go.

I had been going for a few months and then one day she told me that she would charge 800 instead of 700 (cut only). Nothing wrong with that except that she told me once she was done, not when I called to make an appointment or arrived at the salon.
About a months or so ago she did the same thing again and asked 1000 NT after cutting, saying that she has to do so because of rising prices (oil, electricity etc.).

Pretty good hourly rate considering that it takes 20 minutes only for one cut[/quote]

You’re right, she should have told you before the cut, and she asked me to apologize on her behalf and tell you that she’ll deduct the NT$200 difference between the new and the old rates next time.

Most of the time she does tell people before the cut; in fact, I hear her telling customers all the time that the price has gone up, over the phone and in the salon (and by e-mail, as rct288 just found out :laughing: ). Sometimes she’ll forget, and I know for a fact that when someone once objected to being told after the cut, she immediately charged the previous rate.

It is also a while since she raised the prices, and after a while she would expect most of her customers (mainly repeat customers) to have had their hair cut under the new rates and think that it is no longer necessary to remind them, and so it might have slipped her mind.

I guess these rates aren’t horribly different from the good places in the states, I’m just not used to having to pay more than $15 to get my hair washed and cut to my satisfaction.

I feel like if I’m going to pay NT$1000 I should do something different than my normal style. :-\ How is Diane with that type of thing? I know someone said she spends a long time finding out what each person wants. Can someone elaborate on that a bit? I know some places in the U.S. have magazines with different styles you can choose but the damn stylists I’ve gone to will never tell you if the style you pick will actually be suitable for your hair. Which is why normally I stick to the same old, same old.

I had Diane give me a new look :marge: , and I really liked what she did. She has magazines to look through, and she’s very honest and will tell you if she thinks it won’t work for your hair.

I understand what you mean, though, I don’t think I ever spent more than $15 on a haircut in California (small town, hairdresser was ex-roommate), and it’s hard for me to think that last time I had my hair cut and washed it was $1100 (I also forgot to ask in advance, but prices are going up on everything, so…), the same price I paid for a hospital visit, x-rays, and medicine! Just seems weird, doesn’t it? :saywhat: However, I just visited a friend in Hong Kong, and she pays a lot to get her hair done there. And Diane really is good at what she does, and she does provide a very pleasant atmosphere in which to get one’s hair cut.

To save a little money, just wash your hair yourself before you go, that’s what I do, as I can’t really afford to pay $300 for a wash.

Hair cut prices outside Taipei are much better. In our family, a quick and simple man’s cut (no wash) and a cut and style for a woman (much more time but also no wash) are both the same, 300NT. The dreaded razored hair shredding styles aren’t so popular anymore, and it does seem that stylists are getting better training.
Take a picture of the style you want and look for shops in residential areas. If you like someone’s cut, don’t be afraid to ask where it was done or have them write the address.
It’s not always that prices rise with the cost of living. I was once charged for services more than twice the amount quoted on the phone. I paid up but simply never returned to that hairdresser.

Just went to see Diane today. Just like everyone said her place was nice, clean, pretty pictures on the wall, and the music was pleasant. Still, a little on the 貴 side.

But I like my cut and Diane spent a good amount of time with me beforehand showing me print outs from her computer and magazines with some different hairstyles that could work.

I’m satisfied.

I just want to propose an alternative to Eddie and Diane. If you’re new to the island, or if you’ve had a cut by these stylists and have been dissatisfied with the price/result, why not try:

1. H Park - Just outside of SYS Memorial Hall MRT, Exit 2

This place is a little pricier, but I’ve talked to a few people who have gone there, both guys and girls (one of which was a former hair stylist from the UK) who were extremely satisfied. The stylists have worked with foreign hair before and you can trust them to color your hair. They also listen to what you want, and can give you a chic cut that is flattering to your face. I’ve seen some pretty hot styles come out of this place!

1. Any Aveda salon

Need I say more? It’s Aveda, their staff have extensive training. And let’s face it, the shampoo smells great :slight_smile:

1. Toni and Guy - Daan Rd, Section 1, #97

From the UK, amazing reputation. Sadly, I just moved away from Taiwan but I would have loved to have tried this place! If anyone has had a cut by them, leave a comment for others :slight_smile:

I wish that there were more solid alternatives on this post (instead of advice like 'some guy from Tienmou, I think his name is … but he might not be there anymore). If you meet Eddie and Diane, you’ll agree that they’re both very sweet and friendly people. That said, in my opinion they both overinflate thier abilities to cut hair, and charge way too much for the quality of work that they do. The following is personal experience/input from my roommates and people I know:

Eddie tends to overcut and push product/suggest style treatments that are not in your best interest. I know of people who have gone home and had to have thier hair all cut off because it has been improperly processed and completely fried. If you are dissatisfied for some reason with your cut/color and want him to fix it, he takes it very personally and can make the situation uncomfortable. He has also told me personally on two occasions that asian hair and caucasian hair are the exactly same, and can be cut/colored the same. um WHAT??? Dead wrong. Has anyone else been given the asian mullet by him? Case and point!

If you go to Diane, i hate to say it but be careful of dull scissors which break your hair shaft and give you split ends. Her haircuts tend to be very choppy.

Some people go to them faithfully, but there are just as many people to use them because they are afraid of having their hair hacked/fried by other Taiwanese salons (a very real possibility). But for the price they charge, you may as well try other salons that are relatively the same. There are alternatives, try them out! And if you’re still nervous then keep your hair routine simple: go to Watsons, buy a box of dye yourself, and go to a chain store (like Yellow Ted or whatever) and get a simple cut.

Hope this helps :slight_smile: Good luck!

I already did a search and found this thread with a similar question:
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=37375&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=hair&start=160

However, that thread is a little outdated.

I am looking for a white, or at least someone with really good English like an ABC type, barber/hair stylist in Taiwan.

My hair gets messed up enough in the states by English speaking stylists. I can only imagine how badly it’ll get messed up here by a Taiwanese stylist who speaks little to no English.

My last haircut was in the states, a few days before I arrived in Taiwan. Now it has been over a month and my hair is getting too long. I am seriously dreading getting a haircut here as I know it will be F-ed up.

Does anyone know if any American or English speaking stylists in or around Taipei?

[quote=“Tony the Tiger”]I already did a search and found this thread with a similar question:
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=37375&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=hair&start=160

However, that thread is a little outdated.[/quote]
Outdated? The last posts in that thread were made only three months ago. So now threads will be merged.

Eddie from M and M is Malaysian with excellent english- highly recommended. Cant remember the road he’s on, but trawl this thread and you’ll find a previous post regarding him… He was responsible for my mullet craze days- god love him.

Mod note: I’ve merged the threads.

If a thread is outdated, please do not start a new one. Post in the original thread, and ask for updated info. Otherwise we end up with a zillion threads on the same topic, which makes it very hard for people to search for info. Thanks in advance for your cooperation. :slight_smile:

Eddie asked me to let everyone know that he will be in London between from Oct 12th-29th (annual attendance at hair convention).

You can find out more about him at: readyeddiego.com/

Cheers
(his most frequent customer, thanks to hair that grows like a weed)

Since quite a few people here on Forumosa go to Diane to get their hair done, it only seems appropriate to let you all know that we’ll be away from Taiwan and back in Sweden from today until mid-November. Diane will be back in business again on Nov 13. She’ll be checking her e-mail while we’re away, so if you want to make an appointment, just send her an e: diane at fine-salon dot com.

I wanted to find out if anyone knows of a hair stylist that can do blond highlights well. I will be in Taipei and I would like to find someone local.

Eddie from Mix and Match is the man when it comes to hair styling. I’ve been going to him for about 3 years and he always does a stellar job. My friends (who are in the media industry where image is very important) love his work. He can do just about anything you need, not only do it, but do it great. He wont just cut your hair, he will suggest ways to improve your look and manageability based on your hair type. He does speak excellent English as he lived in London for quite a while. A haircut and wash will run you $1000 ntd, well worth the money on the finished product alone, but this also includes a hair wash (its at least 10 minutes long everytime I go) before the haircut (think 10+ minute head massage) and one shorter hair wash after the haircut. His salon is opposite the new Sogo on ZhongXiao East Road, just cross to the other side of ZhongXiao E. Rd, turn left, and take the elevator in front of GNC up to the third floor. It’s best to make an appointment first, his number is 0932322843. He represents Loreal when they have hair shows in China and I believe he was even courted by them before to be one of their stylists. Yes, he is that good.

I would have to agree with this post 100% Eddie is great, he is extremely friendly and interesting to chat with! Just got my hair cut there tonight and have no complaints, he did a wonderful job! I will be back for sure, and will try highlights there as well.

This was from my first post about Eddie, but his email address has changed, so I have updated it. We are working on a new website, so until then you will have to call him to book.

His number is 0932-322-843
Working hours 10:00-19:00

He is off on Sundays

E-mail: eddiekwt_tham@hotmail.com

Mix and Match: Zhongxiao East road, section 3 No285, 3rd floor (opposite the presently constructing SOGO and above the GNC store)
MRT station: Zhongxiao/Fuxing, exit 1.