Got my APRC- now what? Any benefits?

Okay, so it came in the mail today. The wife did all the paperwork and so it was relatively painless (though my wife would probably disagree).

So what’s the big deal? We did this so we wouldn’t have to go through the process of extending my ARC every few years.

Are there any other benefits?

Yes. If -Heaven forbid, but…- your wife gives you the boot or moves beyond the rainbow, you can still stay in Taiwan.

You can live off your savings and work no mo’, too.

Somer other technicalities like pension plans and other government related issues will be easier but thet’s about it.

Also known as:“The Meimei Hunt”

Thanks for the input, guys. I don’t need to tell my employer or anything do I? There’s no difference in their obligations to me, is there?

Never knew that I was obligated to work. No matter since I never had a choice anyway.

For those dependent on a work visa to stay, it is.

And those of us who are not Steve Jobs/Zuckerberg et al/have hit the jackpot… sigh…

EDIT:
Seriously, check on your pension. As an spouse, you already qualified for payments.

Your boss doe snot have to apply for your work permit, which merans he can hire more foreigners.

1 Like

(If he’s coming off a JFRC, which is likely, he didn’t have to work before.anyways)

Pretty sure that now you can wear your jacket backwards on your scooter and they won’t give you a ticket.

2 Likes

My understanding is that I’m qualified, but they are not obligated. Is that wrong? Thanks.

That I have absolutely no idea.

Congratulations on this great news!

I would strongly advise you to search previous threads on this topic. There are some that are very informative.

In the past, you’d want to apply for an Open Work Permit–which would make you a free agent. Not sure with all the changes lately if this (previously critical) step is still necessary. But do check!

You will also want to let your banks and other key financial players in your life know about your new status.

Guy

Next, you should apply for open work permit so you can tell your employer you’re now on APRC. They need to know so that they won’t need to re-apply your work permit when it expires coupled with the ARC.

just so you guys know, I’m here through marriage so some of the info may not apply to me. For example, I’ve always been able to change jobs as I wanted on the ARC.

One thing I’ve never understood: if you have a JFRV, you don’t need an open work permit, right? You’re good to go? But then if you were to change to the APRC, you have to apply for the open work permit. It sounds like a bit of a downside to the APRC in a way, and I don’t understand why the same rules wouldn’t apply to both.

That being said, the open work permit was one of the best experiences I’ve had applying for something in Taiwan. The guy was really nice and it took no time at all.

Related question: Isn’t there a rule that says APRC is valid only if you stay in Taiwan for at least 6 months a year?

Must be in Taiwan 183 days per year.

But there is a form on the internet you can fill out easily for a two-year waiver and just fill that out every two years.

2 Likes

AFAIK, the APRC doesn’t automatically give you open working rights. You still need to apply for a separate open work permit.

Doesn’t the APRC give rights to get the health care insurance? How to do that if it’s not being provided through your company or something?

For me it stayed the same. My company still handles the NHI after changing over. Should I leave that company, the new one would pick it up or if I go out on my own I need to pay my own premiums. For the latter, I don’t know the details, but that’s how it was explained to me.

You can now apply for an open work permit, which means you can do pretty much anything you want including starting your own business flipping burgers on a street corner. You might be able to argue your way into free admission to museums/parks/zoos which are free for citizens only because of your permanent residency which very nearly is citizenship but this would be pretty hit and miss. I think you can vote in local council elections (but not national elections)? Someone correct me on this if I’m wrong, I might be getting confused with Japan.

iirc, a spouse of a taiwan citizen with an APRC does not need a work permit too.

That’s interesting. Opens up new ideas.