Got my APRC- now what? Any benefits?

Article 48 sub-paragraph 2 of the Employment Services Act does imply that a foreigner married to a ROC citizen does not need a work permit regardless of residence purpose. Note that this only applies to persons granted residence(居留), not those who entered on a visa or visa-exempt(停留)(refer to article 3 sub-paragraph 7 of the Immigration Act to understand the difference between these two terms)

Therefore, it appears that an open work permit for a foreigner with APRC who is married to a ROC citizen is only of declaratory nature, rather than actually conferring the substantive right to work. Obviously it would rather impractical to carry a wedding certificate to work to prove this right, as APRCs do not indicate the name of the local spouse.

It would be interesting to request the Ministry of Labor for a clarification on this matter.

3 Likes

I guess there are two different situations.
What about a foreigner married to an APRC holder? Are they also entitled to an APRC and/or work permit?

When I switched from JFRV to APRC I didn’t bother applying for the open work permit. That was like five years ago, and I haven’t had any problems so far.

a foreigner married to an APRC holder are not entitled to an APRC or work permit, just get the same status with a foreigner married to an ARC holder.

You were already subject to the “new system” under the Labor Pension Act due to marriage, if I’m not mistaken. Hopefully the labor department can explain it in a less confusing way than the various threads we have on the subject. Adding PR’s to the new system is still just a proposal afaik.

ehem, single APRC holders…yes, just a proposal…so far…:sob:

Uhhh, you already had an open work permit on your JFRV, man.

You can say a marriage-based ARC is de facto an OWP, but it’s not the same as the document known as an OWP.

Sure, ace, whatever.

I can only speak for Tainan, but even regular (work sponsored) ARC holders here get free entry the same as locals, as long as the address on the card is a Tainan one.

Sure, but when I switched from JFRV to APRC, the nice lady at the NIA told me I should apply for an open work permit. Being a lazy bastard, I never did it though. Luckily, it hasn’t come back to bite me on the ass (yet). It doesn’t seem like something they’d go out of their way to enforce (it doesn’t make any sense), but you never know.

Well that’s something.

Work permit after APRC is basically just an administrative process. It only takes a few minutes and about NT$100. Walk in, fill out a form, pay, come back and pick it up later.

Sounds pretty straightforward, but I used up my supply of patience for dealing with bureaucratic bullshit while applying for the APRC.

Seriously? Taiwan’s bureaucracy should be the envy of the world. I have spent at least 3x longer having 2 passports renewed (Canadian bureaucracy in Taiwan) than I have at the tax office in 17+ visits. My APRC adventure was, for all its paperwork, quick and seamless when actually at the NIA.

Back on topic. Best thing about having the OWP is telling fucknut laobans to cram their school up their ass.

1 Like

Relatively efficient bureaucracy is still bureaucracy, and I’d like as little of that in my life as possible. But yes, the people I’ve dealt with at the NIA have usually been more helpful than their American counterparts.

Not sure how you can avoid bureaucracy unless you move into the jungle and live off snake meat.

1 Like

Works for me

Yea me 2. But this place is just a small office and there’s only one like 5 minute wait if any and usually not even any customers.

By not getting my open work permit when I was (probably) supposed to. It’s just my little way of passive-aggressively “stickin’ it to the man.”