Got six months ARC extension after graduation. Ok to leave Taiwan and back?

Hi,

As some of you may already know, NIA now gives 6 months ARC extension to foreigners who got a degree in Taiwan to give us some time to look for a job here after graduation. I still have about two months left of my extension, so I’m planning to leave Taiwan for a quick holiday and come back to start working (Yes, I got hired already and the company is now processing my work permit, will start working in about a month from now).

So I’m just wondering if anyone of you have used this type of ARC (ie. 6 month extension written under Purpose of Residence) to leave Taiwan and back without any problems? It does say “multiple re-entry permit” but as it’s the first time this kind of ARC was released, I’m a little worried that rules might be different from that of the student ARC.

Thanks

I think if it has this endorsement, you’re probably good to go. Am I sure? No.

If you attempt to confirm it at the source (移民署), try to get their answer in writing, otherwise it’s worthless.

How exactly can I get their answer in writing?

I guess you can ask them nicely.

But yeah, that’s the difficult part.

I’d just go for it though, in the worst case you’ll need to do some talking at the airport immigration when you’re back (and it will not matter much what answer you got over the phone earlier, or whether you actually called to get an answer). Alternatively, have you ever wanted to see Penghu/Jinmen/Mazu? Might be a good time to do it now.

I am currently in Canada on a 6 month extension, it is allowed. I had to write a letter for the reason for my extension, in which I put touring Taiwan and going home to visit family and it was accepted. Make sure you put the reason that you want to travel in your explanation so that they are clear. I was told it would not be a problem and my new ARC arrived 2 weeks later.

I have but not now, wanna go back home first :slight_smile: But why is it the best time now?
Are you trying to suggest that I better take a holiday in Taiwan than leave? heh…

I actually didn’t provide them with this letter when I applied for an extension. But just to be sure, does your purpose of residence now say:

其他 - 依辦法第22條之1延期6個月 ?

And just to make it clear, you only provided them with this letter when you applied for extension at NIA, right? But at the airport, no problems when you left?

Does anyone else have experience with leaving the country on a 6 month ARC extension? I was told by the immigration officer that it was okay, but our school’s secretary’s impression is that is wasn’t allowed. I’m planning a trip back home to Canada for a couple of months this summer, and would hate to discover on my arrival back in Taiwan that my accumulated time towards and APRC (currently almost 3 years) has been erased. If anyone else has some kind of official confirmation, or experiences, it’d be great to hear it. Thanks!

I know a couple of people who have travelled in and out of the country several times on their 6-month ARC extension. Just to make sure (I’m about to apply for one myself), I called the NIA and was assured that you can travel on it, and that it won’t reset the APRC clock. An ARC is a resident permit so, by definition, as long as it’s valid it’ll let you back into the country. No offense to your school’s secretary, but I seriously doubt she would know more than the NIA, especially with the 6-month ARC extension being a pretty recent thing and all.

Useful thread.

I will apply for extension in a month or two.

I found this very clear page, that also has translated to English the new regulations:
winklerpartners.com/?p=4697

Cheers

Dear germinsh,

it’s overdue, I know, but others may find my experience useful. Which is: I did a 6 months extension after my working contract ended, and, within the 6 months ARC duration, I traveled out and back with no problem. As long as the ARC is valid, I think nothing more (well, the passport) is needed. That’s why it’s there for: allow you to reside and exit/re-enter.

Cheers.

I was under the impression that the 6 month ARC extension was specifically for finding work…but according to this thread that’s not the case. Has anyone had any experience with this in Covid times? If it is indeed okay then it’d take a massive load off my mind regarding my residency and belongings in Taiwan. Theoretically I could go home, get vaccinated, and come back later this year.

Hopefully someone can chime in :crossed_fingers: