Grammar: either

Which is right:

1. Do either of those children suck their thumbs?
  2. Does either of those children suck his/her thumb?
  3. Does either of those children suck their thumbs?

I’ve always remembered “either” to be a singular pronoun, but #1 seems most correct to me.

(2) is technically correct – “either” is singular – but the usage is changing. I am willing to bet that in another 100 years, no one will remember that “either” was once singular. It will be a vague their-linked thing. Of course the insistence on gender-neutral language, and the lack of a good gender-neutral pronoun set in English, drives this move to “their” as well.

FWIW, I wouldn’t say “suck their thumbs” but “suck their thumb” – using “their” as purely a gender-neutral replacement for his/her.

(recommend)

I’d say 3. But again, what do I know about American language? :smiley:

quote=“ironlady” is technically correct – “either” is singular – but the usage is changing. I am willing to bet that in another 100 years, no one will remember that “either” was once singular. It will be a vague their-linked thing. Of course the insistence on gender-neutral language, and the lack of a good gender-neutral pronoun set in English, drives this move to “their” as well.

FWIW, I wouldn’t say “suck their thumbs” but “suck their thumb” – using “their” as purely a gender-neutral replacement for his/her.[/quote]

:bow: Thank you…this was also my sense.

About the FWIW, interesting point!