đŸ‡ș🇾 Guam | Travel Horror Story: My Trip to Guam

Bang!

Make Guam great again! :smiley:

While real numbers indicate just the opposite.

If I goto Saipan when Kimmy finally loses it, would the nuclear fallout reach me?

That is a good story, thanks for sharing.

When I was a kid our rental car got burgled whilst we were at a very crowded beach in Hawaii. Was a well organised hit, smashed a window and they took absolutely everything we had in the car including kids clothes.

Your envelope trick would not have worked there ^^

SCMPHV NK Guam harry0830

OP post
 what did I just read? I can’t believe him getting banned from Taiwan for a year is a secondary plot point, almost an aside in his story about getting robbed in Guam. I mean, what happened then? He couldn’t go home? And that writing style
 did the OP type this while drunk? I guess we won’t get any answers. It’s 9 years old. The way his luck was going, he and his missus probably ended up in a Bali prison.

He begins his account with “Hen jiou, hen jiou yi-chen” (hěnjiǔ hěnjiǔ yǐqiĂĄn/ćŸˆäč…ćŸˆäč…仄才), i.e., “a long, long time ago,” and later he gets more specific: “It happened like ten years ago.”

I think that explains why the visa problem was not a big deal to him at the time of the writing of the post.

jdsmith was once a regular on the board. He wrote about 13,000 posts over the course of about seven years.

I’m not trying to pick at/on anyone; I’m just trying to add a little perspective.

Peace :slight_smile:

1 Like

In a galaxy far, far away.

2 Likes

That was NORMAL back then.

Visas were accessed and info on said visas were distributed by an arcane process .

Getting banned or overstayed?

Badges of honour my man.

Taiwan was very different back then.

You should hear my SARS war stories.

2 Likes

By all means. I’ll get the popcorn :popcorn:

Here, here. That was a crazy time.

Sometimes, reading some of the old posts, I get a similar feeling.

Their, they’re.

1 Like

In my first three years here on the island I had to deal with a massive natural disaster (Typhoon Nari) and SARS.

During Typhoon Nari I was trapped on the East coast for five days (I had to fly home in the end) and the MRT was out of action for about six months!
My roommate said he saw dogs floating past him on top of cars.
Friends used to visit our apartment for weeks on end to shower because we still had a water supply .

Yet most of the newbies have never even heard of Typhoon Nari and think a electrical blackout of two hours is hardship :slight_smile:

And yet I still have to listen to the guys who were here when the Chinese missiles flew over (1997 ) , when CSB got elected the first time and who experienced the horrific 921 earthquake (1999) which killed 2000 people.

Oh yeah and the economy was at a tail end of a huge boom, people generally loved foreigners then with much less nastiness in the media and there weren’t so many depressed people about. Young people liked to go to bars and listen to live music. Rave culture was even big for a bit.
Place was a lot wilder but it was also a lot more optimistic . You could go into a bar and the place would be heaving with people having a good time.

There were lots of dodgy foreigners but some incredible characters who were here exactly because it had been wild and adventurous

Those few years were pretty crazy my friends!
These last few years are kinda boring(10 plus>)
Be careful what I wish for I guess.

5 Likes

Yeah, used to be everyone knew someone who was on an overstay.
There were dudes who were, like 7, 8 YEARS overstayed, they couldn’t leave for fear of getting nabbed.
Except if they took the train to Kaohsiung, and they could take the 24-hour ferry to Macau and fly out of Honkers.
Because the port in KS wasn’t hooked up to the Immigration computer system.

I just meant that he was probably thinking along the lines of Star Wars by starting his story that way.

1 Like

My five year old starts most stories like that.

1 Like

I got the Star Wars reference; I was just going with it as a metaphor. I meant that the old posts seemed not only from another time, but also maybe from another Taiwan.

1 Like

More fun and games in Guam in 2023.

Guy

One of my favorite threads on this site by far: The oddest foreigner you’ve met here – share your story - Taiwan / Living in Taiwan - Forumosa

2 Likes