Gutter oil

so some taiwanese in kaoshiung have been caught selling gutter oil! did they learn it from their mainland cousins? is the standard of food safety slipping ever more? the judge apparently let them free… why did they not get the death penalty? these guys deserve death!

setnews.net/news.aspx?pagegr … pagetype=2

I heard that. Fuck me, what a dismal situation. But why did they go free?

It’s not exactly gutter oil, to be precise. It seems they were taking other people’s kitchen waste (廚餘) and skimming the oil off it, cooking it, and then bottling it for sale. It’s absolutely awful, but a measure better than using ingredients that were never edible.

It’s found its way into products by food giant Wei Chuan (味全) – which was also hit by the previous oil scandal.

Time to start urban farming on the roof.

Edit: it’s Wei Chuan’s pork floss (肉鬆) and meat sauce (肉醬)

Edit 2: Whoops, I missed a big fact: some of it is waste water from (leather) shoe factories. My god.

By the way, what I saw in Nanjing was far far worse than anything Taiwan is capable of. An elderly couple lifted a manhole and started fishing in the sewers for oil to sell. I didn’t eat anything but international chain restaurants for the rest of my visit.

[quote=“Hokwongwei”]It’s not exactly gutter oil, to be precise. It seems they were taking other people’s kitchen waste (廚餘) and skimming the oil off it, cooking it, and then bottling it for sale. It’s absolutely awful, but a measure better than using ingredients that were never edible.

It’s found its way into products by food giant Wei Chuan (味全) – which was also hit by the previous oil scandal.

Edit: it’s Wei Chuan’s pork floss (肉鬆) and meat sauce (肉醬)[/quote]
When I was reading about the gutter oil thing in China, I read that part of the gutter oil sold there had the same process and origin that you point out. I guess that gutter oil can be different things actually, all disgusting, btw.

Um … not Starbucks, MacDonalds or Pizza Hut, I hope.

I can’t help but think this is some effort to either defame large food manufacturers, or increase food safety awareness. The pictures I seen from the news is truly disgusting.

Why on earth did the judge let him go free?

probably because he bribed the judge.

Which is why we need jury trial in Taiwan

[quote=“Hokwongwei”]It’s not exactly gutter oil, to be precise. It seems they were taking other people’s kitchen waste (廚餘) and skimming the oil off it, cooking it, and then bottling it for sale. It’s absolutely awful, but a measure better than using ingredients that were never edible.

Edit: it’s Wei Chuan’s pork floss (肉鬆) and meat sauce (肉醬)

Edit 2: Whoops, I missed a big fact: some of it is waste water from (leather) shoe factories. My god.

By the way, what I saw in Nanjing was far far worse than anything Taiwan is capable of. An elderly couple lifted a manhole and started fishing in the sewers for oil to sell. I didn’t eat anything but international chain restaurants for the rest of my visit.[/quote]

you saw it with your own eyes? that is brutal.
i never saw anything dodgy (apart from the actual food that was on the plate sometimes) in china but i had the shits everyday without fail, must of had some gutter oil at some point…

Whenever you get food that has a jet fuel oil smell to it don’t eat it. It means the oil has been used too many times or is recycled sewer oil. Had it a few times in China and know the flavor now.

In Hainan I sent a dish back at a resort saying the oil was old. They said nothing and didn’t even charge me for it. I was surprised by that but I guess even the cook knew.

what does jet fuel smell like? I have not been around aviation enough to know this…

WTF?? My cooking was supposed to be on the ‘famous restaurant’ segment of the TV news, not the scandal segment. And I have copyright on that picture!
Damn Taiwan media.

↑↑ :laughing:

Heavy, black, smoky, pungent taste with a terrible lingering finish. Oily mouthfeel. Burned tires, charred wood, seared aluminum.

Kerosene (paraffin). I wouldn’t say rancid oil smells/tastes like that, though. Maybe the Chinese are actually cooking things in kerosene :astonished:

Are you guys all so WRETCHED that you would complain about stuff like this?

You should be more GRATEFUL :cactus: :cactus:

Most of the oil used by the average breakfast store or food vendor is of the lowest quality and has a rancid taste.

It’s low quality to start with, it’s used too long, and to even think of recycling it is just wrong, wrong, wrong.

Heavy, black, smoky, pungent taste with a terrible lingering finish. Oily mouthfeel. Burned tires, charred wood, seared aluminum.[/quote]

That’s exactly what the food at our local lu wei stand tastes like. My wife loves it.

Organic in a chemistry kinda way.

At least the judge sent a message. And that message is: gutter oil salesmen should be free range!

:salute:

Kerosene (paraffin). I wouldn’t say rancid oil smells/tastes like that, though.[/quote]

It does. I’ve been around jet fuel and I’ve eaten in China. Much the same unfortunately.

Heavy, black, smoky, pungent taste with a terrible lingering finish. Oily mouthfeel. Burned tires, charred wood, seared aluminum.[/quote]

That’s exactly what the food at our local lu wei stand tastes like. My wife loves it.[/quote]

Not as much caramelized charcoal aroma in the sewer stuff. Don’t think charred cardomon but more like hongshao human ashes.