Gutter oil

Are these products tested on animals?

The soap I use - Olivella is from Italy and not tested on animals. Available from Carrefour.[/quote]
Hey, it’s tested on you … nothing happend :smiley:

南橋 (don’t know the English name… Nanchiao?) Butter a d oils are tainted with industrial, i.e. non-edible oils. Not surprising for a company called 南橋 chemical industrial Co.

m.appledaily.com.tw/realtimenews … 015/488072

I am always suspicious of any food stuff coming out of a chemical company. For example, Apple Sidra.

Consider the following … when technology allows turning raw sewage water into drinkable tap water, why wouldn’t available technology be able to make gutter oil into edible oil? Actually it does as is proven now! :smiley:

Bits and pieces from the news:

[quote]Taipei, Oct. 15 (CNA) One of two private jets owned by Ting Hsin International Group, the food maker at the center of Taiwan’s latest food safety scare, took off Wednesday night, the head of the Civil Aeronautics Administration (CAA) confirmed.

CAA Director-General Jean Shen said the flight was given a green light as it has followed all legal procedures. It is believed that Wei Ing-chou – an older brother of former Ting Hsin Chairman Wei Ying-chung – was on the plane.

Earlier in the day, prosecutors seized several assets from Wei Ying-chung, who is currently restricted from leaving Taiwan due to his possible culpability in the company’s sourcing of substandard oils for its products.
[/quote]

Many things can be carried in a plane… BTW, since when we have private aircraft ownership in Taiwan?

[quote]Taipei, Oct. 14 (CNA) The Restaurant and Beverage Vocational Association, Republic of China announced Tuesday that its 100,000-odd members were joining a national campaign to boycott the products of Ting Hsin International Group which is at the center of the latest food scare.

Earlier in the day, Taiwan Confederation of Trade Unions, which has a membership of 230,000, called on its members to boycott the group’s products, while also urging the government to protect its employees so they will not become “victims” to senior executives’ questionable leadership.
[/quote]

One has to wonder if any employee was a whistleblower -someone must have tried- and then, what happened? Did authorities turn a blind eye or were employees “convinced” to shut up?

[quote]Taipei, Oct. 15 (CNA) Finance Minister Chang Sheng-ford pledged Wednesday that tax inspections of the Ting Hsin International Group, at the center of an expanding food safety storm, will be strengthened after the enterprise was found to have not paid its taxes in full.

“Businesses that earn money from selling substandard foods will definitely also be taking money from the government,” Chang said while answering reporters’ questions on whether the scandal-ridden business group had evaded taxes. He was implying that companies lacking ethics and willing to swindle their customers will be just as likely to be fraudulent on tax issues.

He pointed out that Ting Hsin was already scrutinized by tax inspectors last year when its oil-making unit, Ting Hsin Oil & Fat Industrial Co. was exposed as having purchased, intentionally, low-cost oils colored with copper chlorophyll before disguising them as pure grape seed and olive oils.

At that time, the Ting Hsin group was told to make up a shortfall of about NT$400 million (US$13.6 million) in taxes it had failed to report, the minister said.

Now, the tax inspection targeting the notorious enterprise will continue to be carried out at full strength, he said.
[/quote]

:doh:

I think anyone who was in a position to prevent this over the past several decades should not just resign but should face criminal charges. I want ministers and mayors and even a premier or two in court. If I were president, heads would roll.

Is it just me or is this a bribe to the Taiwanese government to avoid something (jail, fines, etc)?

Ting Hsin quits oil, to donate NT$3bn [to Taiwanese Government]
taipeitimes.com/News/front/a … 2003602263

“Ting Hsin International Group (頂新國際集團) yesterday said it would withdraw from the oil-manufacturing market and donate NT$3 billion (US$98.65 million) to the government to atone for the food safety scandal.”

Compared to what they owe in back taxes…

[quote=“nonredneck”]Is it just me or is this a bribe to the Taiwanese government to avoid something (jail, fines, etc)?

“Ting Hsin International Group (頂新國際集團) yesterday said it would withdraw from the oil-manufacturing market and donate NT$3 billion (US$98.65 million) to the government to atone for the food safety scandal.”[/quote]
Not surprising tbh. Corruptive government is corruptive.

[quote=“Gain”][quote=“nonredneck”]Is it just me or is this a bribe to the Taiwanese government to avoid something (jail, fines, etc)?

“Ting Hsin International Group (頂新國際集團) yesterday said it would withdraw from the oil-manufacturing market and donate NT$3 billion (US$98.65 million) to the government to atone for the food safety scandal.”[/quote]
Not surprising tbh. Corruptive government is corruptive.[/quote]

They’re probably already discussing how to split the money and have it disappear … :ponder: :ohreally:

Bad reporting on TT’s side. While it’s not really that different from paying off the government in practice, the money is a food safety fund intended to show the group’s sincerity in commitment to keeping things sanitary. If they were really buying off officials, they wouldn’t have a high profile press conference covered by all major media just to announce it.

A slight rewording is needed there, mate. It’s obviously intended to feign sincerity in commitment to keep things sanitary. If they had real sincerity, they would not have intentionally sold us gutter oil. They’re probably trying to prevent prosecution of their top (expletive deleted).

The jury’s out on whether it was intentional or just gross mismanagement at the top. Let’s let prosecutors and police get to the bottom.

No need, no need. They are repeat offenders. One doesn’t ‘accidentally’ relabel gutter oil and resell it as food grade, anyway.

True. They were caught last year, given a reprieve. They make it worse.

Thinking about it, now I am seriously worried. What kind of poison was in those products to prompt such ineffective agencies to move so fast to make the disappear? Worse is yet to come, is all I hear.

Now it is being revealed that the company’s president carried his own olive oil bubble thing whenever he ate out.

[quote=“Icon”]
Now it is being revealed that the company’s president carried his own olive oil bubble thing whenever he ate out.[/quote]

:astonished:
Do you have a link to that story?

[quote=“nonredneck”][quote=“Icon”]
Now it is being revealed that the company’s president carried his own olive oil bubble thing whenever he ate out.[/quote]

:astonished:
Do you have a link to that story?[/quote]

Channel surfing the news stuff. Lemme look but dunno.

Anyways, guy’s in custody now. Let’s see what he eats there

Dang.

Them not using their own oil has been reported in various Chinese language media, eg:
appledaily.com.tw/realtimene … F490615%2F
Usually I don’t believe 90% of what Taiwan’s media reports but for the oil scandal I am inclined to think it is true.

This morning the news were saying something that really made my blood boil. Seems Weichuan, like Imei, had its own quality control lab. First of all, as per the bills and paperwork found in their Weichuan offices, they were fully aware they were purchasing oil not suitable for human consumption. Second of all, they went all over Vietnam, visiting and sampling many, many companies -also as per their own records. Third, they did test the oils from these above mentioned companies. What for, you may ask> Well, so they could cost compare and bargain the price. “We want it lighter, how much discount?” :fume: