Gutter oil

Imei isn’t exactly good. They were implicated a while ago in a food scandal too.

Do you mean the one related to expiration date ?

I’d rather eat expired food than gutter oil.

problem is how do we avoid food scandals? It’s obvious food producers everywhere will do anything to cut cost. Heck even the US is known for using questionable ingredients too, and paying the FDA to look the other way.

Only way to be safe is grow your own food, process everything and live completely off the grid.

I’d rather eat expired food than gutter oil.[/quote]

You mean like stinky tofu? :wink:

I’d rather eat expired food than gutter oil.[/quote]

You mean like stinky tofu? :wink:[/quote]

I’ve never tried stinky tofu in my entire life. Not even a single bite. I’m a local Taiwanese born and raised in Taiwan. I’m 30.
I’ve eaten street food twice in my life. Once in Tamsui, once in Taipei.

I’d eat expired IMEI but not anything 統一 or 頂新 or their affiliates make.

[strike]Let’s exchange information and experience. I wonder what’s gutter oil. Can we have a picture of gutter oil please?[/strike] Sorry i’m just extremely fed up with this crap.

That’s because of the gangsters supplier of 頂新, which owns Taipei 101. The supplier is a gangster. 頂新 owns taipei 101. Before 頂新 got the money to buy Taipei 101, 頂新 became successful by selling this in China.

I’m sorry to bring in politics into this. But you know Chinese society is not based on rule of law. It’s rule of Guanxi.

That brand tastes awful anyways

Where’s that guy that said he’d eat this crap for breakfast, lunch and dinner? I hope he rethinks eating instant noodles all the time now.

Thankfully, I haven’t eaten instant noodles in about ten years.

Is it only processed food/manufacturers involved?
Or are restaurants using the oil too?

Restaurants too. The FDA has a list of 235 companies including restaurants.

I think that somebody asked about this before, but… is there any information or list in ENGLISH regarding these companies and products?

thanks.

Why on earth would one buy minced meat from a chemical additive company? :ponder:

I’d watch out for that Apple Sidra drink… it tastes awful in my mind and I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s found to contain chemicals later.

[quote]Chang Guann has been in hot water after it was found to have purchased 247 tonnes of recycled waste oil — collected from restaurant fryers, discarded animal parts, fat and skin — from an unlicensed factory in Pingtung County since February.
It had mixed the recycled oil with processed lard and turned it into 782 tonnes of edible lard oil, before selling the product to 236 oil distributors, restaurants and food processing and manufacturing companies around the nation.[/quote]
Edible? :ohreally: Obviously not! :ponder:

And the net widens . . . An additional 971 2nd tier downstream companies affected. Didn’t see a list yet for these companies though.

fda.gov.tw/TC/newsContent.as … A07Yp9tjQo

The government made some tests with the oil, and the oil passed all the tests. How much it is for covering some rich people’s back, I don’t know.

Oh so frustrating to hear this. However, I have sliver of hope as I have actually started to hear some Taiwanese upon return from China state how surprised they were to see Chinese acting more law-abiding than the Taiwanese.

“Oil is legal but not safe to eat”
taipeitimes.com/News/front/a … 2003599322

Oil from shoe discards is legally lard? Ayiooo

latest news. The company has been importing gutter oil “raw materials” from Hong Kong for 13 years.

FCKING GROSS!
news.ltn.com.tw/news/focus/paper … g.comments

[quote=“sofun”]latest news. The company has been importing gutter oil “raw materials” from Hong Kong for 13 years.

FCKING GROSS!
news.ltn.com.tw/news/focus/paper … g.comments[/quote]

Like I said. No wonder my health started getting worse since I started living in Taiwan. :frowning: