Gutter oil

So I am eating my dan bing this AM, like I always do, when there seems to be a funny taste to it. This issue flashes into my mind and…

Blurghfff…Blaaaat…Guuuurffff…

Bloody Hell. Now I have to make my own brekkie from here on in???

No, it’s canola oil … or cottonseed-soy-sunflower veggie oil.[/quote]

I thought costco’s oil was imported or is that is just the olive oil?[/quote]

That I don’t know for sure, it’s possible they buy some oil locally … directly from a manufacturer, so I think they assure quality as with all their products.
You should read up on their business method.

Are any foreign products repacked into smaller containers once in Taiwan and then possibly mixed with this additive? I sometimes wonder when I see a Chinese label on the packaging of an international brand.

For example, could an Italian olive oil be shipped in large containers, and then be transferred to small original bottles once inside Taiwan?

if you see ‘yuan Zhuang’ written in Chinese it means packed overseas. that is preferable for many people obviously…but one should be aware they do play games with relabeling overseas too, such as Turkish olive oil becoming Italian when packed in Italy etc.

[quote=“tango42”]Are any foreign products repacked into smaller containers once in Taiwan and then possibly mixed with this additive? I sometimes wonder when I see a Chinese label on the packaging of an international brand.

For example, could an Italian olive oil be shipped in large containers, and then be transferred to small original bottles once inside Taiwan?[/quote]

That was the scandal… two, three years ago? Mixing oils, selling them pricier…

[quote=“tango42”]Are any foreign products repacked into smaller containers once in Taiwan and then possibly mixed with this additive? I sometimes wonder when I see a Chinese label on the packaging of an international brand.

For example, could an Italian olive oil be shipped in large containers, and then be transferred to small original bottles once inside Taiwan?[/quote]
the olive oil looks the same as the usa. plus it tastes the same as the kind sold in costco in the usa. at least the kirkland brand of Olive oil.

[quote=“Toe Save”]So I am eating my dan bing this AM, like I always do, when there seems to be a funny taste to it. This issue flashes into my mind and…

Bloody Hell. Now I have to make my own brekkie from here on in???[/quote]

That was me this morning as well. Cheap dan bings are really awful. Fuckina, makes it really hard to trust anything in our food these days.

those 50nt biandian places always have a strange taste, but normal biandian (more than 50nt for sure) don’t seem to taste weird.

[quote=“Toe Save”]So I am eating my dan bing this AM, like I always do, when there seems to be a funny taste to it. This issue flashes into my mind and…

Bloody Hell. Now I have to make my own brekkie from here on in???[/quote]

what u having in ur dan bing? i just have the egg one…minimal oil is used. most of the flavour comes from the sticky soy sauce.

[quote=“Icon”]The factory owner is enraged: everyone does the same! That is his defense. 13 years ago, they started importing industrial grade oil from Hong Kong and sold it here for human consumption… afterwards, they expanded the operation by adding dead carcasses.

Seriously, I can’t tell which is more freaky, that this kind of “production” is SOP, that it was done for so long without anyone making a fuss, or that it will continue as there are no controls/checks and balances/proper penalties in place?[/quote]

he deserves death, straight up.

I don’t have the link to hand, but if I remember correctly, 7 companies are responsible for basically everything in an American supermarket. Often competing brands actually have the same parent company. I’m not sure how it stacks up in Taiwan though.

Well we see lots of those brands owned by mega companies but everything else is either President or a few others…

Yep, Taiwan has some vertical mega companies like President which control sourcing, manufacturing, supply, distribution and retail and even has many of it’s own brands or licenses/franchise famous foreign brands.
According to the Wiki it’s the largest food company in Asia (Master kong must be bigger in terms of sales though).

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uni-Presid … orporation
pecos.com.tw/brands.html

In the restaurant sector the holding company for Wow prime controls many popular restaurant chains in Taiwan.

And the facepalm award goes to…

[quote]Taipei, Sept. 11 (CNA) Edible oil imports from Hong Kong are now subject to batch-by-batch inspection, with immediate effect, Taiwan’s health authorities announced Thursday after a Hong Kong company was found to have exported animal feed-grade oil to Taiwan for human consumption.

The importers must also present test reports certified by the Hong Kong government, said Chiang Yu-mei, deputy chief of the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).

According to an investigation by Hong Kong’s Center for Food Safety, Hong Kong trading company Globalway Corp. has exported animal feed oil to Taiwan’s Chang Guann Co., but has described it as oil for human consumption.[/quote]

So, poor Taiwanese company was tricked by those evil, naughty Hong Kongnese… ayioooo

It burns me that the government spends much money and effort to promote MIT but at same time doesn’t seem to like punishing the companies who so severely damage Taiwan’s product reputation.

The government is bought and sold (also legislature) by these billion dollar companies. The legislature always waters down bills so they become a joke. The food companies are claiming they don’t even have to share supplier details with the food inspectors, and the max fine they pay is something like 3 million NTD!

The frustrating thing is the gov’t will get super serious about oil inspections but continue to be clueless about the other shady practices going on in food production and gross negligent pollution. The slimeball owner of this company is absolutely right. Everybody is doing stuff like this and nobody is getting caught.

eating oil dragged out of a sewer clogged up with human shit is fine. destroying yours, everyone elses lungs and the planet with shitty scooters is OK. but god forbid you EAT or DRINK something on the MRT!

priority’s.

Well at least the MRT is run well, look at it that way. and from the reaction of my
coworkers they are certainly NOT happy or satisfied with eating gutter oil in their snacks. BUt Taiwanese are slow to show their anger and not good at boycotting places.

[quote=“headhonchoII”]Well at least the MRT is run well, look at it that way. and from the reaction of my
coworkers they are certainly NOT happy or satisfied with eating gutter oil in their snacks. BUt Taiwanese are slow to show their anger and not good at boycotting places.[/quote]

Boycotting might leave them nothing to eat. 235 + 971 food brands and restaurants… Just yesterday I ate something that left a really bad aftertaste in my mouth. :frowning: