Hard to find work in Taiwan

[quote=“gaoxingdcf”]Guys, just to side track a little !

Would you guys pay to watch good quality of football (not the American kind) on cable like Ligue 1, Serie A, La Liga, BPL, UEFA Champions League and Europa League ?[/quote]

Premier league is on premier league pass the legal provider for Taiwan, also cheap per season all games and replays. We all know about that now on the TV threads. Champions League and Europa on MOD, as is Bundesliga.

[quote=“Ricarte”][quote=“Winston Smith”]I’d summarize the three main work culture deficiencies here as:

1. Lack of high level problem solving skills
  2. Lack of high level organizational skills
  3. Poor communication skills

When I first started banging up against these deficiencies years ago as a foreign customer, then as an employee of a high tech, old school Taiwanese company, they used to get me down. Then one day the light went on and I realized they were actually a massive opportunity. That was the day I decided to start my own business and I never looked back. Now when my colleagues complain about them I remind them that’s why we’re here and why we have such good opportunities.

As a footnote I have to say I’m seeing some surprising developments among my suppliers. They’re beginning to adhere to a strict 9-5 workday and all overtime is now paid. It’s encouraging to see some progress.[/quote]

Some complain about the difficulties. Others see them as opportunities. Well done, Winston! :bravo:
Care to share what business is yours?[/quote]
I wanted to ask the same. Sounds like couching or similar, but let’s see what he says :slight_smile:

Hi all

Back to square one again.

Interviews I been too express interest but none actually came around to offer me a job

[quote=“gaoxingdcf”]Hi all

Interviews I been too express interest but none actually came around to offer me a job[/quote]

Sorry, I haven’t read the entire thread, but can you describe your current job. And list the skills you put on your CV? If you prefer, please PM me instead. I might have an opportunity for you.

[quote=“Gryphon”][quote=“gaoxingdcf”]Hi all

Interviews I been too express interest but none actually came around to offer me a job[/quote]

Sorry, I haven’t read the entire thread, but can you describe your current job. And list the skills you put on your CV? If you prefer, please PM me instead. I might have an opportunity for you.[/quote]

Hey Gryphon

PM you !

Heya all

Back to square one again

Most companies balked at my expected salary and the need to apply work permit for me :frowning:

Haven’t read the whole thread, just the OP (so perhaps this was resolved, in which case it’s more general advice for people in similar situation), but unless you can at least prove you have a ticket already booked no employers are going to hire you from overseas (unless you’re insanely qualified and they really want you, but certainly you won’t snatch a competitive position if you can’t interview in person and prove you’re relocating to Taiwan beyond a vague “I’m seriously considering it” esque promise).

Well I have been flying to Taiwan pretty much regularly

Been going for interviews while I’m at Taiwan though.

Being there for in-person interviews definitely helps. Proving that you intend to reside there permanently (or at least semi-permanently) will help a lot more. Otherwise they’re worried they’ll offer you a position, and you’ll flake.

I have a place to stay in Taiwan, not in hotels

I think they’re more worried about your visa status than your residence. You have to make it clear that you intend to reside permanently in Taiwan if you’re offered the position and you’ll apply for an ARC.

Hello all

Been a while since I updated this !

Been in contact with some taiwanese companies, having interviews on Skype or LINE but none seems to be interested in hiring me.

Heya all

It been a year since I started to job hunt in Taiwan

It is still the same for me.

Broadcast Media jobs are pretty hard to come by though.

Any more advice for me ?

Yes. Give up on broadcast media jobs for now, and try teaching for a bit, while continuing to look for media jobs in your free time. Being unemployed for over a year isn’t good. Time to make a couple compromises.

Try podcast. If you become well known through that, other opportunities will come.

Hey DrewCutz

I do have a job at the moment, I’m located in Singapore and holding a job (which is not the case tomorrow as I’m tendering my notice to the company)

It is being a frustrating search for a job in Taiwan.

Why are you tendering your notice without having another job lined up?

Well, I’m in need for a long break and looking for a career change.

I thought of leaving the company for a while now, I know it is unwise of me to quit without a job lined up but then if i’m mentally tired of the job that I have now, there is no way I can perform better.

I don’t really suggest this. It has worked for some people, teaching and job searching on the side, but it really depends on how motivated you are.

You could get comfortable in the teaching position or even get too stressed out by it that you do not have the energy to job search OR you do not have free time to go on interviews.

One thing is certain, you need to be on the ground here. If you can’t find a job this way, ask your gf if she knows a family friend or a friend’s company who is hiring. Gotta work that guan xi. If you do not hold Taiwanese citizenship, you have to prove that you can do a job better (and get paid more) than a local because you need an ARC/work permit to legally work here!

2 Likes

Get a professional resume writer to look at your cover letter and resume; it is well worth the outlay. Also, don’t use a generic cover letter, and tailor each cover letter resume to the specific job you are applying for.

It will take a bit of work, but you will have more success.