Hardline pc cooling

Anyone done hardline tubing to cool their CPU n GPU? I’m looking to do a custom liquid cooled loop.

I’m interested in this as well

1 Like

Unless you’re into extreme overclocking, it’s more hassle than it’s worth. And extreme OC ing itself is more for the hobbyists with big wads of cash to burn - if you’re after gaming with decent fps in reasonable resolutions, there’s no need fo that.

A quality brand GPU will come with sufficient cooler, the OC GPU editions with even better ones (and then there’s no need to OC these obviously) - though “better” here usually means “quieter”.

It’s similar for the CPU, though if you want to do modest OCs then it’s worth buying some decent air fan - but again there’s no need to break the bank.

For example, up till last month I was running i7 2600K OC’d to 4.2 GHz with just EVO 212 workhorse + a gamut of Nvidias - 780 Ti, 980 Ti and finally a 1080. Combined with GSync monitor, I was able to play everything up till latest titles in 1080p with steady average above 60fps.

3 Likes

I’m doing it for aesthetics and as a fun project. I know it isn’t cost efficient for cooling, probably cost around 16k. But it would look so cool. I was wondering if there were other foreigners that had/have same interest.

I plan to cool my i7-7700k only, for now, and hope to get it to 5.0GHz while fans are quiet. I also have a 980ti, which I’ve had for 2yrs, and plan to upgrade next year so I won’t loop it.

I have a Asus PG279Q which is a 1440p, 165Hz, Gysnc monitor so I get great fps and its smooth. In my main game I get around 100fps and I’m happy.

Well, sure, if you can spare the cash it is sort of fun to play with these thing, especially since you already have the powerful GPU & CPU. I used to do this when working at a PC hardware shop becuase we could test all kinds of gear for free.

Though seeing how there’s not many responses here it’s probably best sticking to overclockers.com or some such for advice…

I am aware of overclockers.com and that is where I get ideas and see what others have done with my case. I’m just curious if there are any hobby builders here in Taipei.

I also have an i7 7700k and I can guarantee you that running a liquid cooler on a 7700k isn’t enough to keep you at a stable at a 5GHz overclock unless you won the silicon lottery! If you wanna do that I would consider delidding it, you would get at least 10 degree or more cooler temps.

That is where my question comes in. Does anyone know where I can get a CPU delidded?

I did delid my 7700k. And temps dropped 10-15C. But I want to take cooling to next level. Currently air cooled.

I couldn’t find a delid kit in Taipei but I’d sell mine as I have no need for it now.

I honestly don’t want to do it myself. I would rather find someone that has experience. I thought maybe a PC shop would be able to do it for a fee, not sure if you know of one that does?

As for my PC, I am already running an H100i, but prime95 will jack the temps over 80degrees, although Prime95 puts your PC in a worst case senario.

What kind of delid tool do you have? I’d be interested in buying it. I 3d printed a kaby lake delid tool but would feel less risk with a proper tool. You have any liquid metal on hand as well by any chance?

I’ve been looking for someone to delid my cpu tool as well. Most the people at Guanghua looked at me as though I am crazy. But I found one guy on shopee who sells a handmade delid tool, he said he would delid and reglue the IHS for 500nt, but he lives in Sanchong, and that’s quite far for me so haven’t bothered doing it. If you are interested in his contact details pm.

Cheers dondada, I already arranged to buy calitotaiwan’s rockit tool. I will try and do it myself. I have already done my research and watched some youtube vids, and it looks fairly straight forward.

Have you asked the guys at Coolpc? It is a massive place with tons of employees, I’m sure they would know as well.

That’s cool you got the delid tool. Good luck with the delid, let me know how u get on.

Yea I asked the guys at coolpc, go there quite regularly. There were a few people there who had done it with a razor blade but no-one knew anyone with a delid tool. Also they don’t plan on stocking them.

Now that winter is here the cpu is not getting that toasty but def planning to delid next year before the summer. Will get some liquid ultra on shopee and some rtv. If I can’t find a delid tool I’ll give the 3d printed tool a go, just need to find a vise.