Have you ever thought to take a career break?

I will try my best to save as i am really tired working ,been working half of life to support my old parents. Sometimes i wanted to do lots of things but i tend to think about them first.

1 Like

A career break is not for everyone. But, some people can achieve more success after the break.

My parents are not rich, but they still can retire with a comfortable life. Both receive retirement pensions. But, I still give my mom some money every month. She doesn’t need it. But, I tell her to buy something for herself or pay her phone and electricity bills. A career break doesn’t mean an excuse to be lazy. It is a good chance for people to evaluate themselves, make future plans, or learn something new. If I take a career break, I already planned everything. I will get a professional camera for photoshoots, I will do more oil paintings, and edit more videos on Youtube. I might make money with these things in the future. If I can take great photos, I will be hired to take photographies in wedding parties. I can paint so well. Hopefully some restaurants and cafes hire me to paint their walls. There are many things I can do. I do it with passion, not for money.

You have good idea, youtube is booming market and I just notice it recently. Now I need to reconsider again my passion :joy: …sigh writing and cooking where did it go?

Tumbs up and wish you success and happiness on your new plans ahead.

“I am thinking about a career break after 5 years.”

Your own words. But then again,

“…I am easy to be pleased.”

Don’t blame me for not being able to interpret what you didn’t write down when I’m not sure people can always interpret what you did write down. And you might want to have a quick look at the rules. Personal attacks are so 1990s on this board.

I’m not saying that, i’m just not seeing why you came at him like that. It just seemed more personal and aggressive than it needed to be. Like he was weak or something.

If you say ‘break after five years’ and someone says ‘five years isn’t very long to have been working before needing a break’, how is that personal or aggressive?

thats not how you worded it. You acted like he couldn’t hack it in life. I personally have not found you very helpful in my own time on the board. I actually had another member PM outside of the thread when I first came on board and help me because you basically told me I could not teach here. Which I did with the help of another member .

Yeah it’s like that now. One of my friends took that around CNY on her first 6 months. And then it’s like 7 days for the first year? I’m not sure.

1 Like

That’s your opinion and you’re entitled to it. And I never told you you could not work. I probably told you what the law said, and at the most said it was likely you could not work legally. Your situation, as that of everyone else, may vary in many details.

Did the vacation policy change recently? I was under the impression that at most local companies, the first year, you got no vacation, then the second year, you got 5 days.

They revised the Labor Standards Act more than once when the debates about holidays and “flexible days off” were raging. Iirc paid annual leave now starts after 6 months instead of 1 year, but the number of days is lower.

2 Likes

My sister-in-law quit her office job (she had some serious, but not employment-related, health issues), with the idea of traveling the world. More than a year later, her former employer offered her her old job back, with the same seniority. So she went back, and is still there.

If someone is interested in,

It’s Article 38 of Labor Standards Act revised on 2016.12.21.

http://law.moj.gov.tw/Eng/LawClass/LawAll_print.aspx?PCode=N0030001

1. Three days for service of six months or more but less than one year.
  2. Seven days for service of one year or more but less than two years.
  3. Ten days for service of two years or more but less than three years.
  4. Fourteen days for service of three years or more but less than five years.
  5. Fifteen days for service of five years or more but less than ten years.
  6. One additional day for each year of service over ten years up to a maximum of thirty days.

This Article also says employers should pay for unused leave days at the end of year or contract.

4 Likes