Help for a friend with an eating disorder

I have a close friend who I recently discover purging in the restroom after our meal. She was closed off at first but opened up to me about her struggles with it since she was a teen. She really needs help, she purges up to 15 times on a bad day and if she doesn’t, she eats like 300 calories a day. Does anyone know any support groups and English speaking therapist that specialize in this in Taipei? I feel like not a lot of therapist here specialize in eating disorders.

Any help would be appreciated.

[spoiler]MODS!!!

Cleanup in aile 3.[/spoiler]

Purging is part of bulimia and anorexia. It is a symptom that can by itself cause a very serious damage to one’s body, even death.

Kudos to Andrew for noticing and caring.

You guys making fun of this as “certain people” or “certain kind” are making a not so veiled judgement. You make a situation like this worse. But I guess alcoholism and bipolar disorders are also fun to you. Guess you’ve never had a friend or someone you cared for suffer.

As OCD and depression, this purging lies beyond a person’s control. It is not a matter of cheering up, or being immature, or caring to much about what people say about your figure. This is self destruction. But you guys know it all and still do not care, so, whatever.

There is good counceling at Far East Hospital. I do not know of groups but will seach. Yes, *fluent English speaking psychiatrist.

• Most doctors speak and write English well, because they have to write patients history in English, but of course, habilities vary.
3 Likes

Well yeah, actually.
I mean so far, you know.

On the off-chance she’s a student, most universities should have some kind of a counseling service. They may not be able to help directly, but they can provide ideas about where to go.

3 Likes

Certainly agree, this is a serious matter that needs professional help. Friendly advice is not going to cut it.

I am a TCM doctor in Taipei. I would suggest her to go see a psychiatrist or a gastroenterologist first.
If this doesn’t help or she don’t want to take medicine, I would suggest her to try acupuncture and/or herbal medicine.

TCM see our body as a whole, not divided systems. We had some experiences on the malfunction of the GI system with mental illness. Especially those patients without any organic problem. It might not be easy to cure but I think the symptom would be reduced.

4 Likes

Dr Joey to the rescue, as always.

1 Like