Help Me Downvote This Vid Into Oblivion

Well, as Steve and Super said, children are taught that “Taiwan is part of China” so therefore it is. Most people just don’t question their beliefs. You can go to any random fucked-up country and listen to an entire litany of laughable beliefs that keep the country fucked-up; try to challenge those beliefs and you’ll be met with anger, ridicule or worse. That’s primates for you.

Yeah, just don’t test their honor by wearing heels when you do it. :smile:

But it’s true isnt it?

Even if many locals deny it, too much of their economic well-being depends on China’s economy.

You can say that about a big list of countries…it’s called being a globalized economy. It’s not North Korea over here, we trade, specialize and tap into the resources of other countries like every economic power. China’s economic well being is also dependent on Taiwan . Both countries are both huge trading partners with huge purchasing power.

China has zero political influence on Taiwan besides pressuring and threatening things like sending less tourist here. So that answers your question, it’s not true.

2 Likes

They don’t do it to me. They definitely seem a bit uncomfortable, but they don’t bother arguing.

Perhaps they’re learning. Or you’ve got that look in your eye. :wink:

Is manifest destiny still taught in American schools? Certainly China’s not alone in teaching complete lies to its kids.

Tell that to the nationalist party of China :grin:

1 Like

How does China’s economic well being depend on Taiwan? Just curious and not trying to argue.

Both are big trading partners. You don’t think if taiwan and china stopped commerce that both would largely suffer? China would lose so many jobs since during president Ma’s time lots of businesses like my fathers opened up offices and manufacturing plants there because the communist party worked really hard on getting FDI. None coastal cities have been a main target my the ccp putting a lot of efforts to invest in non coastal cities to attract foreign investments in those places. They gave nice incentives to Taiwanese and foreign firms investing in china. Those jobs can easily come back or somewhere else. Like every country that is economically successful, they are all dependent on other countries. The US is heavily dependent on china, and china is heavily dependent on the US along with countries like japan Korean etc. you can’t say taiwan is part of china because the economy benefits from trade with China.

Really the simple answer is every country is dependent on each other. It would hurt china and taiwan if they just stop trading again. That’s why even with the political disagreements the 2 have zero issues on benefiting on trading and it’s a none issue really. Both want to benefit from each other.

True, tho argument can be made the smaller of the two is much more dependent, hence the many leaving TW to work in CH.

OTOH, if TW really had leverage, salaries/benefits would be more competitive to retain talent moving overseas.

Yea, but keep in mind that the Taiwanese going to China for work are most typically going to work in Taiwanese owned businesses.

The way it worked originally was that Taiwan and Hong Kong business owners were allowed in to invest money and take advantage of cheap labour. Local connections families and local governments helped to smooth the paperwork. That is a large part of the story of where Chinese cities like shenzhen, dongguan, kunshan etc came from.

For some reason I can’t help but whistle the tune to Never Gonna Give You Up by Rick Astley as I read this thread.

1 Like

True, TW companies do contribute significantly to local economies in CH.

That said, it seems CH had a robust mfg long before TW companies like Foxcon arrived.

Even if FC et al left tomorrow, CH would still be the mfg center of the world as no other country has the infrastructure and supply chain to compete globally.

CH is Switzerland. China is CN.

3 Likes

Youre right

I suppose if it ever did happen, I’d just shrug and say “that’s their decision”. I’m not a citizen, so I haven’t formed a strong opinion either way. Just a general belief in the right to self-determination.

awful + 1,000,000…so bad…