Hiccups that won't go away

So I’ve been having hiccups almost none stop for like a hour at a time the last 24 hrs. It seems to be aggravated especially after I eat. But it just starts randomly sometimes and won’t go away for .5-1.5 hours. Should I see a doctor. Kinda hard during Chinese New Year but it’s really annoying me. I had to wait a hour last night when I laid in bed and got them for them to go away to finally sleep.

I would. My no-fail hiccups cure in the meantime:

Wait until the next hiccup is just about to come.
Begin slowly and continually sipping a big glass of water and don’t stop at least until after the time when the second hiccup would have come.

Usually I hold my breath and my nose until I feel like I’m about to pass out or run out of air . I repeat the process every few minutes until they go away or the rate slows down noticeably. Usually that works for me.

Thanks for the tips. If it continues tm I will try the emergency room. It’s so annoying.

Almost the same as my life long cure, except to drink from the opposite side of the glass. maybe it’s the posture, but for some reason this seems to work. At least for me.

Hmm I’ll save that as a method of last resort :slight_smile:

Sometimes you get hiccups from drinking too much, especially sweet things. If that is the case, drinking more water wouldn’t help with those hiccups.

You might try keeping your head low, (like after fainting and want to keep blood in your head,) lie down on back without a pillow, and perhaps keep your feet lifted. Maybe lie down on back at a slight inclination head down. I don’t know why, this helps me when I have hiccups from drinking too much, or sweet things. Usually, I may keep getting them on and off during the day and seems to get worse until I sleep them off. Nothing other people suggest have ever worked, like holding breath, water, etc.

I’ve heard that swallowing a teaspoon of sugar helps.

I had always heard that scarign someone, like with a loud yell/noise would do it.

And my son (7 or 8 at the time) had hiccups that wouldnt stop. So, i told hi I m gonna scare you to make em go away.

Of course, didnt work, as he was ready to be scared.

30 minutes later, while playing computer games with him, I suddenly and without any warning yelled like a monster right next to him. He was so cared that he jumped out of the chair and burst into tears.

I hugged him and apologized, but, THE HICCUPS WERE GONE.And did not return on that occasion.

YMMV

There was a consultation patient who is a VIP in our hospital. He suffered from nonstop hiccup for more than one week after radiotherapy for his NPC. The modern medicine doctors tried everything but in vain and then consulted us. We used acupuncture at first to help with the symptoms, the acupoints were: Zusanli (St36), Qihai (RN6), Guanyuan (RN4), Hegu (LI4),etc. The hiccup stopped for a few hours but recurred, we then combined with herbal medicine. After 1-2 days, his hiccup stopped.

The nerve system of gastrointestinal system is very complicated, it’s not yet totally understood.
http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/hiccups/basics/causes/con-20031471

According to my clinical experiences, TCM would be very useful in GI disorders such as GERD, constipation, diarrhea, poor appetite, dyspepsia, IBS, etc.