High Rise Fire in Taichung

News says some department store in Taichung is on fire?

Anybody have more info?

update: wow, apparently there are people trapped on the roof. Smoke is billowing out…looks bad…:frowning:

further update: holy shitballs…they are helicopter rescuing people in a chair sling thing…

Wow, reminds me of when the Fareastern went up in flames in 89. Could see that all the way from Tunghai campus.

When I saw the title of this thread I thought someone was talking about the ever-present smell of burning garbage on Dadu Mt.

Just saw it on the news, it’s a building called 金沙大樓.

Hey

I’m in Taichung but haven’t gone out yet. I couldn’t make out the Chinese characters on your post mesheel. Any chance for some pinyin?

Silly question I know but what does the building or the surrounding areas look like?

That is such a stupid question.

Jinsha Dalou (Jin1sha1 Da4lou2) - literally “Golden Sands Building” - English name Golden Plaza

Click here for news story in Chinese

Click here for a photo of the building intact.

Oh good Lord. Friends of mine live close by. Thanks. I need to make some phone calls.

Right. My friends living in the building right behind it are okay. Their only complaint being that their apartment now needs a thorough cleaning. As far as they were able to find out no one was seriously hurt. Let’s hope that’s reliable.

nope…two dead, says the tv news

and of course the fargin press cameras are in the ER while the dr is doing cpr…

Oh no.

Do they have any idea yet how the fire started?

I really should start watching TV again.

The fire started in a pub on the 18th floor of the Golden Plaza building on Fuxing Road. The building is 22 stories high with a revolving restaurant at the top.

Photo

Thanks for the info.

I’m watching the news now and it’s four dead, three injured. The footage of people running away from the building and crying was so sad.

TaiZhong Forumosans, are you guys ok?

Yeah, I’m good. Could see the smoke from the other side of town, sirens blaring up Chungkang Rd. Dunno why the hell they would send the injured to the veteran’s hospital instead of the downtown hospitals though… :confused:
Taichung sure has had a lot of department store fires over the years.

They sent them to Veteran’s? That’s so far away. What about Jenai or general?

I have checked with all my friends who live in the area and they all said they were okay. So far no one I know has been affected if you don’t include this idiot boyfriend of a friend who tried to cut in front of the ambulance. What the hell are some foreigners thinking? It’s an ambulance, sirens blaring. Get out of the way.

Has there been anymore news about how the fire broke out in the pub?

hsiadogah, how long have you been in Taichung and how many fires have you witnessed? I’ve seen some questionable pyrotechnics in clubs before.

Again, thanks for the info.

EDIT: why was “jen-ai” changed to renai or have I missed something again?

Now if only that kind of behavior were just limited to foreigners…

Good point. I guess I’m so used to Taiwanese traffic I don’t notice it anymore. Very good point.

Its a lot of "mafia’ down there isn’t it? :fume: It has to be a “protection scheme” gone wrong. I am told it was a kind of explosion/big bang before the fire :fume: - small bomb or just opening the gas and toss in a match…???

I may just be terrible unobservant or moving in the wrong spheres of society but I have never really noticed the “mafia” element that everyone is on about. And I don’t just hang out with foreigners. Taichung for me is a pretty safe place to live if you compare it to Joburg.

How long do you think before any of those reports are confirmed i.e. that it was arson and not accidental?

[quote=“silencepleasei’mworking”]I may just be terrible unobservant or moving in the wrong spheres of society but I have never really noticed the “mafia” element that everyone is on about. And I don’t just hang out with foreigners. Taichung for me is a pretty safe place to live if you compare it to Joburg.

How long do you think before any of those reports are confirmed i.e. that it was arson and not accidental?[/quote]

Sorry, its just based on what I have read in other threads about the general situation in Taichung… I hope to move down there sooner or later, because I like it there when I visit.
If Joburg is reference to a city in South Africa, I would not be able to compare, cause I “heard” its pretty brutal down there, and I hope that place is not the benchmark for “safe”…

Didn’t even know there was a fire until just now. Was busy drinking chun1jiu3 with some friends at the time…