Hiring a nanny

Does anyone have an experience or suggestions in terms of hiring a Filipina or Indonesian nanny and how one goes about it?

Are you Taiwanese or a foreign national?

I haven’t followed this issue much lately, but I remember that Taiwan previously made it very difficult for foreign nationals to hire foreign nannies. The labor council ruled a while back that only a chief executive officer of a foreign-invested company was eligible to apply for the employment of a foreign maid, and then, only if the company had a registered capital of at least NT$ 100,000,000. Eligibility was also extended to the CEO’s immediate subordinate if the company had a registered capital of NT$ 200,000,000.

I don’t know whether these rules are still in effect.

A few years back, you would be allowed to hire a Amah (=Nannie) if you would have people in your family that required a nurse or personal care.

How that would have worked: take your old grandpa to the doctor, get a certificate and with that, you could “apply” to hire an Amah (but only through throat-cutting “Agents”)

Probably, your grandpa is not in Taiwan, so you could “borrow” your friends grandpa to get the certificate … (That was the practise a few years back, no idea if it still works…)

However, the Amahs that are here are very new to the job … so you will spend a lot of time in the beginning to explain them how vacuum cleaner works .

Compared to other Asian cities it is a pain in the ass to hire an Amah.

Check out the Forumosa archives, I am sure there are more posts about this topic.

I don’t have any suggestions about the regulations on hiring a Filipina nanny in Taiwan.

I had a Filipina nanny once, she was telling my 4 year old son there is a ghost in the house, my son was terrified, he wet his bed all the time and telling me if he doesn’t listen to the nanny the ghost will show up.

I didn’t keep the nanny after that. My son is OK now, he is almost 5 and really into sports.

You any relation to Fred Smith? :astonished: :astonished: :astonished:

It is kinda hard here in Taiwan to also hire babysitters, as this seems to be a foreign concept here.

Make sure you install hidden “nanny cams” so that you can record them smacking your child around or your husband shagging the hired help.

Okami’s 4 easy steps to hiring and keeping a nanny:

1. Pick a country that has such a population looking for gainful employement

2. Interview people and work out a payment plan and deposit

3. Sign them up for university language courses

4. Make sure they do a good job, go to classes and don’t steal anything and/or run up your phone bill calling home.

That’s it, you get a nanny, they get a job and no bloodsucking gangster agent is involved. You might even get Blueface666 to source a worker for you, but you’d have to ask him politely.

CYA
Okami

Thanks for the advise and the feedback.

I kinda looking for a foreign nanny that will not teach my kid ‘Filippino English’–although I don’t have anything against Filipinos (used to work for San Miguel, but I definitely don’t want my son to learn words such as ‘Refs’ [refrigerators], Comfort Rooms, and call everyone ‘Sirs’ or ‘Madams’)

So is there any society that caters to seeking nannies that are not domestic helpers, and are just people who can help part-time?

Thanks

You can find someone locally but it will cost you anywhere from NT 20,000 per month (8-5 Monday to Friday, or around there) or if you need someone part-time, you can find people charging $250-300/hour.

How many hours a month are you looking for? Housekeeping or babysitting? I know someone who does both, whose services are used by some of my friends. She is Filipina married to overseas Chinese.

I thought as a foreigner you had to prove that you had a yearly income of at least NT$3,000,000 in order to hire live-in help.

:idunno:

Wow! :smiley: Thanks for all the sterling advice!

My wife is Taiwanese so we should be able to hire a foreign nanny via her. We need someone part-time in the evenings when she is teaching and I am still at the office (most likely).

P.S. Taiwan’s red tape never ceases to amaze! :fume: This place would be dead as a door name in terms of globalization if not for the China market…

We’ve found it to be more complicated than that. For a local family to qualify for a nanny, you must have three children six and under… or is it three children five and under…

Yes the red-tape never ceases to amaze me here. As mentioned, my wife and I both work, and some times we have to do overtime. Thus, we preferably would like some help on a part-time basis, and preferable someone that is English fluent.

Another option is to find some evening schools to keep our son busy–kinda like a bushiban, but then a school that can teach him on a creative side–not a cram school. Any one knows of such bushibans? Our son is 4 years old.

Thanks in advance.